Sign in to follow this  
WorstAmericanRecord

Lana and the LGBTQ+ Issue...

i don't expect her to openly support the LGBTQ+. She's an artist, not someone in politics. Do i expect her to fight for me and my tran-sisters? nope. all i ask for is BOPs and energy on that stage. 

if you like my face just thank my surgeon | your friendly local trans - catch me modeling for: https://dragunbeauty.com/

this comment is mildly problematic. pigeonholing and stereotyping gays as "arbiters of style and taste" is not really useful in a society that worships Jonathan Van Ness for his sound bites but then chastises him for admitting he has HIV. this thread, I don't believe, needs more cis-privileged white female apologists. it is undeniable that Lana Del Rey's fanbase has a huge LGBTQ population. we're not asking for her to become a global activist and intercessor on our behalf, championing LGBTQ rights, or anything like that. all we're (not even wanting or expecting just) wishing for is some form of acknowledgment from this person who we admire and support, and in my opinion we have never gotten that acknowledgment in any significant way, which i think was OP's point. (and no, letting winn edwards suck up to her does not count as LGBTQ acknowledgement). 

edit: just to be clear I'm not calling Yung a cis-privileged white female, I'm calling Lana one  :toofunny:

I never stereotyped or pigeonholed gay men as "arbiters of style and taste" so I don't know why you're using quotation marks. This is a conversation about pop music and gay men so obviously culture is going to be brought up.

I feel like you're chastising Lana for feeling connected to a demographic she's a part of and criticising it as "cis-privileged white female apologist" despite me never mentioning white or cis, just women. Women are allowed to have a sense of community too.

Fwiw I do think it would be nice if she made a more direct acknowledgement of her lgbt fanbase but I see nothing wrong with wanting to be connected to fans who aren't gay men too.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I never stereotyped or pigeonholed gay men as "arbiters of style and taste" so I don't know why you're using quotation marks. This is a conversation about pop music and gay men so obviously culture is going to be brought up.

I feel like you're chastising Lana for feeling connected to a demographic she's a part of and criticising it as "cis-privileged white female apologist" despite me never mentioning white or cis, just women. Women are allowed to have a sense of community too.

Fwiw I do think it would be nice if she made a more direct acknowledgement of her lgbt fanbase but I see nothing wrong with wanting to be connected to fans who aren't gay men too.

what about the LBTQ people though? we don't deserve to be slighted.

giphy.gif

ETA LGBT people can also be women, the groups aren't mutually exclusive

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

wel

well said. I agree with this. also like love to point out that numerous amounts of women are a part of the LGBT community

women can be LGBT. her mentioning women in her fan base means just that. she didn't say "straight women" The LBTQ in LGBT is primarily women and just because she didn't explicitly mention LGBT or posture with identity signifiers its implied by her simply just saying women. 

YoungKindheartedCapybara-max-1mb.gif

wel

well said. I agree with this. also like love to point out that numerous amounts of women are a part of the LGBT community

women can be LGBT. her mentioning women in her fan base means just that. she didn't say "straight women" The LBTQ in LGBT is primarily women and just because she didn't explicitly mention LGBT or posture with identity signifiers its implied by her simply just saying women. 

I know they can be LGBT. But I strongly, HIGHLY doubt that anyone is referring to trans women. Since, you know, that almost never happens for 99% of people/.

giphy.gif

I just was referencing the archetype of gay men being seen as knowing so much about and influencing pop culture (that's why I put it in quotes). but I respect your opinion, and I agree that one part of her fanbase doesn't need to be left out in order for another part to get recognition from Lana

as a member of the lgbt community and a woman myself i don’t really feel connected to “women” or womanhood in the sense that lana probably does. for me, it would be more meaningful for her to specifically mention her lgbt fans rather than just “women” or young women or whatever she says. idk why some of y’all get so mad, is it so terrible and unheard of wanting to be acknowledged by someone you look up to and that means a lot to you?? would y’all get mad if an interviewer asked her about a concert in a specific country and she was like “i love my *wherever they’re from* fans! i appreciate their support so much” cause that’s really all we’re asking for

UbsOye5.png

I know they can be LGBT. But I strongly, HIGHLY doubt that anyone is referring to trans women. Since, you know, that almost never happens for 99% of people/.

yeah but isnt it simply implied?? im a woman who's trans. im in a heteronormative relationship and some of Lanas music really resonates with me. 

YoungKindheartedCapybara-max-1mb.gif

skirtsandsuits blocked me on Instagram bc I mentioned the hotel she was posing in front of makes profit for those who legally murder gays. They dgaf and I doubt Lana does either. Us LGBTs are so easy to just ignore, they've been doing it for millenniae

I think I remember you posting about that back when it happened. I'm very :/ about her friends and this is one of the big reasons why. I think that a church's views on the LGBT community may be something Lana just wouldn't think to look up, but that made me think her friends are definitely aware seeing as that was going on when celebrities were speaking out about boycotting the chains. I'm torn between thinking her friends are actively malicious, or just being overprivilged cishet white women who feel inconvinenced by LGBT people trying to maintain human rights in countries they probably couldn't place on a map (until they go there to live out their Sex and the City 2 adored white tourist fantasy). 

locals only