Manson

DO U LUV ME YET? [2011] - Born To Die 1.0 Concept LP

(wanted to not just post it in my design thread as it belongs here too)

LANA DEL REY | DO U LUV ME YET? [2011]
BORN TO DIE 1.0 CONCEPT LP
Lana before darkening her sound, toning down the pop influences & when Lizzy was stronger than Del Rey...
How did B2D sound at one point before her release?
How did it sound with the scrapped tracks that were more pop?
How did final B2D tracks sound before?

I used different demos and the most HQ versions of each leak available, and edited everything to make it sound organic and mixed coherently. Also added a decent vinyl crackle sound as I wanted it to be a vinyl rip. 

qHwEQuv.png

K2bOfvi.jpg

Listen to the record:

Let me know what you guys think, especially about the tracklist and how the record flows.

I liked it a lot! The vinyl effect is a great addition :kiss3: The tracklist is great, and it draws a storyline. I just think I would've swapped:

1. Lolita with Hundred Dollar Bill
  2. Go Go Dancer with the alternate final of Summertime Sadness
  3. Million Dollar Man with This Is What Makes Us Girls Demo 3 (in my head they fit better a storyline along with the rest)

and used the Demo 3 of BTD instead. But overall, I loved it so much, it sounds great with the demos and stuff. And National Anthem opening was a great move!

Also, great artwork. It looks pretty stunning :heart: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

3 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

I liked it a lot! The vinyl effect is a great addition :kiss3: The tracklist is great, and it draws a storyline. I just think I would've swapped:

1. Lolita with Hundred Dollar Bill
  2. Go Go Dancer with the alternate final of Summertime Sadness
  3. Million Dollar Man with This Is What Makes Us Girls Demo 3 (in my head they fit better a storyline along with the rest)

and used the Demo 3 of BTD instead. But overall, I loved it so much, it sounds great with the demos and stuff. And National Anthem opening was a great move!

Also, great artwork. It looks pretty stunning :heart: 

Thanks so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

I guess I could never exchange Lolita, as the demo version is probably my favorite thing about the record haha. I'm defo with you that Go Go Dancer is the weakest link in the tracklist but SS is not really a good alternative as the track always feels very "late 2011" basically. And I wanted to go for an early BTD sound, you know what I mean?

TIWMUG was actually on the tracklist and it does fit the sound way better than MDM buuuut.... I'm just too biased because I was never a big fan of TIWMUG. 

Do you actually like demo 3 of BTD? I think it sounds kinda weird :/

2 hours ago, baddisease said:

I wish Lana would do something like this in honor of Born To Die's 10th anniversary

Haha she never would. She'd rather redo something old and put it on a new record.

1 hour ago, Manson said:

Thanks so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

I guess I could never exchange Lolita, as the demo version is probably my favorite thing about the record haha. I'm defo with you that Go Go Dancer is the weakest link in the tracklist but SS is not really a good alternative as the track always feels very "late 2011" basically. And I wanted to go for an early BTD sound, you know what I mean?

TIWMUG was actually on the tracklist and it does fit the sound way better than MDM buuuut.... I'm just too biased because I was never a big fan of TIWMUG. 

Do you actually like demo 3 of BTD? I think it sounds kinda weird :/

Don't worry! It was just a very personal opinion on the concept, but it really works the way you made it. Definitely, as I think about it, SS would not fit either. Maybe another song could make it instead, though I haven't thought of a good choice lol. And I'm like the biggest stan of TIWMUG so I would try to put it literally anywhere it could remotely fit, so don't mind me much :eartha: 

Yeah, def my favourite BTD demo is the #3, but because I'm too much in love with that vibe / sound, though it's truly way different for Lana. At first it sounded weird to me too lol.

Anyways, in case you make any other concept album like this for Lana (it would be really interesting to see something in the Ultraviolence era, say, to include Yes to Heaven, Fine China, Your Girl and the others, with some of the album's tracks too), please share it! I'd love to see it :heart: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

10 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

Don't worry! It was just a very personal opinion on the concept, but it really works the way you made it. Definitely, as I think about it, SS would not fit either. Maybe another song could make it instead, though I haven't thought of a good choice lol. And I'm like the biggest stan of TIWMUG so I would try to put it literally anywhere it could remotely fit, so don't mind me much :eartha: 

Yeah, def my favourite BTD demo is the #3, but because I'm too much in love with that vibe / sound, though it's truly way different for Lana. At first it sounded weird to me too lol.

Anyways, in case you make any other concept album like this for Lana (it would be really interesting to see something in the Ultraviolence era, say, to include Yes to Heaven, Fine China, Your Girl and the others, with some of the album's tracks too), please share it! I'd love to see it :heart: 

I shared it here to get opinions so I'm very grateful for the feedback! I feel the same about Lolita how you feel about TIWMUG so I would also want it on any tracklist.

I chose that BTD demo because it's more stripped back and you can clearly hear the more "cheap" synthesizers they used instead of a proper orchestra. And this very homemade sound to this idea of creating something orchestral directly connects to the idea of an early BTD album and the sound of Video Games (where you can hear that the drums, harps and shit are all basically Garageband like).

I thought about doing something for UV, but I feel that there is not enough background knowledge compared to BTD. We literally only know that she reworked everything with Auerbach, that she took Black Beauty of the standard track list because of the leak and a few scrapped tracks like you mentioned. But let's see.... I might be onto something....