Sign in to follow this  
loveyoumadly

HELP - THESIS ON LANA DEL REY.

Hi everyone, If you guys ever have an idea, I might need some help in my thesis, I'll take everything (lyrics, life moments, interview moments, visuals, honestly anything you can think of) !!! 

In my thesis, "Commentary on fame: Poetics and politics of womanhood through Lana Del Rey's life and art," I aim to explore the complex relationship between fame, gender, and artistic expression by analyzing the music and public persona of Lana del Rey. To do so, I will draw on theoretical frameworks from feminist theory, cultural studies, and musicology.

One of the key concepts in my analysis is power, and I will draw on feminist theories of power to explore the ways in which female artists like Lana del Rey navigate the politics of representation and the construction of celebrity identities. Specifically, I will use Michel Foucault's notion of power as productive and diffuse to argue that power operates not only through top-down coercion, but also through the production of subjectivities and identities through discourse. I will also draw on the concept of intersectionality, developed by Kimberlé Crenshaw, to argue that gender intersects with other aspects of identity, such as race and class, to shape the experiences and opportunities of female artists in the music industry.

To support my analysis, I will use specific examples from Lana del Rey's music and public persona. For instance, I will analyze the themes of femininity, sexuality, and power in her music, drawing on specific songs like "Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd" and "Born to Die." I will also examine her controversial statements about feminism and her relationship with the media, drawing on interviews and media coverage from specific dates and sources.

Furthermore, I will use concepts from cultural studies to explore the cultural and historical context of celebrity culture. Specifically, I will use Stuart Hall's concept of encoding/decoding to analyze how the media frames and represents female artists like Lana del Rey, and how audiences decode and interpret these representations. I will also draw on Richard Dyer's theory of the star system to analyze the ways in which celebrity culture constructs and commodifies celebrity identities.

Overall, my thesis seeks to offer a critical analysis of the complex and often fraught world of celebrity culture, and its intersections with gender and artistic expression. By drawing on specific examples from Lana del Rey's life and art, I hope to provide a nuanced and insightful perspective on the intricate interplay between fame, gender, and artistic expression.

Swiftologist on YouTube actually has some great analyses on Lana! I'd especially recommend his video on Ultraviolence. I think what he discusses could really be pertinent to your thesis!

Just now, bluevelvetcola said:

Swiftologist on YouTube actually has some great analyses on Lana! I'd especially recommend his video on Ultraviolence. I think what he discusses could really be pertinent to your thesis!

Thank you so much ! I will definitely watch !

law student here! been reading foucault for a while now and i keep telling myself i should read kimberlé's stuff too so maybe this is a sign lol

i'm not sure how my ass could help but i'd love to read it when it's ready! :flutter:

Capture.jpg

37 minutes ago, TropicoKitten said:

I think it sounds very interesting. I’d love to read it when you’re finished:)

8 minutes ago, past the bushes said:

law student here! been reading foucault for a while now and i keep telling myself i should read kimberlé's stuff too so maybe this is a sign lol

i'm not sure how my ass could help but i'd love to read it when it's ready! :flutter:

Well if you can read French hahah (I'm French)

Ohh Kimberlé is sooo good ! 100% recommand

20 minutes ago, Bonita said:

great choice for a topic! she tackles fame on almost every album... her most interesting take imo is on 13 beaches :wub:

Thanks ! Yes I totally agree, It was one of my sources 

"But you still can find me
If you ask nicely
Underneath the pines
With the daisies
Feeling hazy
In the ballroom of my mind
Across the county line"

so good

3 minutes ago, loveyoumadly said:

Thanks ! Yes I totally agree, It was one of my sources 

"But you still can find me
If you ask nicely
Underneath the pines
With the daisies
Feeling hazy
In the ballroom of my mind
Across the county line"

so good

the lyrics are just the surface... this song is one of the few songs where she's revealed that the person she's singing to throughout the song is a metaphor for fame