Sign in to follow this  
The Sun Also Rises

Leonard Cohen

I love him so much <3 my top 3 albums are prob songs of leonard cohen, death of a ladies' man & songs from a room but i find all his entire body of work thoroughly enjoyable, right up to you want it darker.  i have a few of his poetry books as well, gifted to me by my bf last christmas <3 my fav is the flame

this is probably one of the greatest pieces of wisdom, like ever.  it's constantly on my mind.. he was a deeply beautiful, intelligent human

onlyimptquestion.jpg

18 minutes ago, one time beauty queen said:

onlyimptquestion.jpg

If I could like this twice I would...

with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years

Good to see this thread is popping. I strongly recommend the album 'Songs of Love and Hate' for fans of Ocean Blvd - it uses similar song structures and themes, and is simply a masterpiece.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

1 hour ago, one time beauty queen said:

I love him so much <3 my top 3 albums are prob songs of leonard cohen, death of a ladies' man & songs from a room but i find all his entire body of work thoroughly enjoyable, right up to you want it darker.  i have a few of his poetry books as well, gifted to me by my bf last christmas <3 my fav is the flame

this is probably one of the greatest pieces of wisdom, like ever.  it's constantly on my mind.. he was a deeply beautiful, intelligent human

onlyimptquestion.jpg

What is the source for this? (Also, everyone needs to look her up, so I'm noting the correct spelling of Simone Weil's name)

10 minutes ago, longtimeman said:

What is the source for this? (Also, everyone needs to look her up, so I'm noting the correct spelling of Simone Weil's name)

https://www.facebook.com/leonardcohen/posts/in-a-1997-interview-with-stina-dabrowski-at-mount-baldy-zen-center-leonard-cohen/10155468401454644/

& thanks lol! 

14 hours ago, longtimeman said:

Good to see this thread is popping. I strongly recommend the album 'Songs of Love and Hate' for fans of Ocean Blvd - it uses similar song structures and themes, and is simply a masterpiece.

Agreed 1000x. Avalanche is gut wrecking and there are so many ways to interpret the song (from a religious or agnostic or atheist standpoint). My personal reading would be a conversation between the same person, something along the lines of "I can't help but feel somewhat like my body marred my soul" (although I think Lana comes from a different perspective) ... and the way that Cohen contemplates suicidal thoughts during Dress Rehearsal Rag is absolutely chilling ... I especially like this line`;

"But you've used up all your coupons except the one that seems
To be written on your wrist along with several thousand dreams" 

In context to the rest of the song ... he really was a master of words. It's his darkest album (for me), and it doesn't have the light at the end of the tunnel that Ocean Blvd has, although it shares so many of the same themes that make each album great! 

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

6 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

"But you've used up all your coupons except the one that seems
To be written on your wrist along with several thousand dreams" 

In context to the rest of the song ... he really was a master of words. It's his darkest album (for me), and it doesn't have the light at the end of the tunnel that Ocean Blvd has, although it shares so many of the same themes that make each album great! 

Every line of this song is God-level poetry, and is both hilarious and terrifying. The greatest diss track of all time, and it's entirely self-directed! I've had lines from this very song come to mind a thousand times.