Mileena

Crystal Castles

I feel like Alice is an anachronism from the punk era because those sensibilities are so strong in her! She's a really important figure in the business because, whereas passionate women who are angry and not afraid to talk about it were common in the 80s-90s, there's not much of that happening now. I listen to a lot of electronica too, but I'm quite picky about it. Most of the electronica I love is trip-hop/downtempo. Trip-hop is, without a doubt, my favorite genre.

tori_amos_signature_by_ghosttree-d34dy5d.png

i love her punk attitude, as an anarchist i can really see where she's coming from with everything. i genuinely think that more people should have her attitude - why should women get pushed around? now i'm not even a feminist, i believe we all deserve to have as many rights as each other but the music industry really does fuck women over.

could you explain what trip-hop is? i don't really get all these sub-genres. all i know is, i love bands like cc(obviously), white ring, salem and all of that sort of thing - but equally i love passion pit and ellie goulding too.

4r9w86.jpg

Absolutely. I think the 90s was really the peak of that sensibility in music. A lot of singer-songwriters in the alternative scene (and I'm a huge fan of all of them) were tackling the oppression and abuse of women. They also addressed repression of female sexuality. Now, in the mainstream, at least, those issues are back to not being discussed.

The main characteristics of trip-hop are samples of old film soundtracks, strings, hip-hop influenced beats, and usually female vocals. The apex of its popularity was between 1994 and 2000. The most well-known trip-hop artists are Tricky, Portishead, Morcheeba, Lamb, and Massive Attack. Björk also dabbled in it in the mid 90s.

i'm really interested in the punk movement, music such as the sex pistols and that kind of thing aren't really my bag, but i like the lyrical content. i love women like siouxsie sioux as well, who obviously influenced alice glass.

ah right, thank you for clearing that up! i should really know my genres better since i do djing and music as a gcse, woops. i love a bit of björk also(:

4r9w86.jpg

haha! i still am a teenager but alice & siouxsie are definitely on my inspiration list. and i went through an 'emo' phase when i was 9 or so... :eek:

yeah same, i just have a little play around with songs and effects. i'm pretty good with distortion and clipping though ;D

4r9w86.jpg

6 fucking days

i'm gonna try to meet them

how does one approach crystal castles exactly? if i'm lucky enough to meet them i'll probably go red and say something stupid like 'sign my tit'. ugh. god help meeee:/

4r9w86.jpg

I usually manage to meet every band and artist I go to see. It's all about knowing where to wait (the stage door). Almost every time, there will be other people waiting too. The band will almost always come over and sign things, take pictures, and talk to fans. Bring something for them to sign and a camera, try to think of what you'd like to say to them, and everything should go well. :)

thank you so much! i probably won't bring anything to get signed since the crowd can get rowdy and i don't want to break anything, but i'll definitely take your advice! i have met musicians before so i could have a good chance! best advice i've had from someone, so thank you(:

i'll probably be like 'hey kittens(word for guys on the forum aha), your music's brilliant and you're awesome people' or something like that.

as long as i don't say 'sign my tit' it shall be good.

4r9w86.jpg

My suggestion is to bring just a booklet, if you can. It won't be destroyed in the mosh pits. :)

great idea! and it'll fit into the small back i'm taking. i hear that at cc concerts you get bashed around a lot ;D

4r9w86.jpg

^Sooo excited for you, Nadia!

I do like Sleigh Bells, but I don't think they're at all like CC. From the beginning, I grouped Sleigh Bells in with the new quirky lo-fi scene that was happening around the time their debut came out (Tune-Yards and Micachu), but I think their sound has definitely evolved since then. I do kind of miss the rawness.