Wryta Thinkpiece

indianlovecall's Fantasy Album Art

I think blurring either the wheel or the merry-go-around might help, the merry-go-around might be better though. Maybe a subtle motion-blur since it's moving, right? Or maybe just defocus everything besides Lana. The hand holding a cigarette is also a very nice touch!

I'd suggest maybe changing the colors a bit for Lana, cause it doesn't look like she belongs with the night/dark background.. ya feel? Overall really nice though! 

I think blurring either the wheel or the merry-go-around might help, the merry-go-around might be better though. Maybe a subtle motion-blur since it's moving, right? Or maybe just defocus everything besides Lana. The hand holding a cigarette is also a very nice touch!

I'd suggest maybe changing the colors a bit for Lana, cause it doesn't look like she belongs with the night/dark background.. ya feel? Overall really nice though! 

:yesnod: Feelin' ya like I'm blind! Thank you so much for the tips and love, BLOODSHOT! :kiss:

SUMMER OF SAM UPDATE:

Things have been a bit busy for me with clearing out my bedroom to start doing some renovations and furniture building over the summer, and I've also been running a bit dry with creativity. But I have been taking a few moments here and there to experiment on different ideas. That being said, the Wonder Wheel concept may be scrapped; when it came to grabbing a feel of the atmosphere that I wanted the cover to give, I felt a bit unfulfilled. I took a look at other shots of Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park that I could find, but not too many of the really good shots had a high enough resolution, and I didn't want to scale them and risk dealing with pixelation. Shots that were large enough to work with also had crowds of people in them, so I wasn't down with that. It kind of got to the point that it was becoming a chore for me.

So then I figured I'd capture a different angle of Coney Island, so I used one my favorite shots (done by Shell Sheddy) of Ruby's with the shutter over the storefront when its lease wasn't renewed after expiring October of 2010. I wanted a more sunny shot, but I ran into the resolution/people in the shot problem. Honestly, the only thing really in the shot that takes away the sunny feel is the wet boardwalk, which shouldn't be hard to replace, and throwing in some lighting might give the shutter more of a sunlit look. I might just figure out how to mask people out of a shot, and just play around with similar images to replace what was covered up by people. But there's something about this shot that I just love.

This is the second concept WIP.

8962084172_e3305beb51_o.jpg

There are no effects in this WIP shot yet like there was for the Wonder Wheel concept. I'm still going to do the halftones/retro look, but I wanted to show you guys the general look. I also figured a background like this would have made more space for her name and/or the album title (which then, I thought, "Let's name the album Save Coney Island," but then I felt very, very, very conflicted with that.)

Last update, I said I might add a guy into the shot and add hickies to Lana. I did the latter, which I'm conflicted with the results. At first, they came out more like an allergic reaction or eczema because of how red and pink they were, so I threw in some blue and purple with a soft-light brush and did just a little yellow.

I don't know about adding the guy. See, my initial plan was to find a photo of Rob Lowe from when he played Sodapop in The Outsiders, but a lot of the photos that would have worked with Lana best were small or really poor in quality (and I am not the slightest bit familiar with photo restoration,) and then the large enough shots had him in a slouching/sitting posture that made him a bit hunchback-looking next to her. So then I figured I'd just pick two guys who'd basically be like Ritchie and Vinny from the Summer of Sam movie and work with shots of them. So I chose Garrett Hedlund and Justin Gaston (who wore STUNNA FUCKIN' SHADES IN THE PICTURE I FOUND.) However, when I started doing the layering and masking, I started feeling like it was looking a bit silly altogether with the guys. Not to mention that I felt like I was paying tribute to the hormone-crazed fantasies of a fifteen-year-old. So I do not think that will be a possibility. I might just have to do a little more research, or I may need to scale Lana down a bit.

The cigarette didn't make it in this WIP, only because it pretty much blended into the background, and I didn't want to add drop shadows, and I love that fucking hand, which would had to hold something, so... :brows:

I don't know if it's just because I'm not used to the blunt or because I added it to the shot, but I ran into the clip-art problem again. But it shouldn't be too hard to fix, and I kind of like the blunt better.
I also threw in some smoke brushes, hopefully they look realistic. I was also thinking of maybe doing something with the smoke, like maybe making an apparition of the amusement park or Wonder Wheel within the smoke. But yeah, I wanted to show you guys the progress so far.

EDIT: Yikes. All right. Summer of Sam is gonna get put on hold. I'm not going to tamper with it too much for now scrapped.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Onto the next one...when I get an idea of what I want to do. Might not be a Lana cover for this one. We'll see.

Okay, the newest album art project is going to be a fantasy cover for Dear Euphoria's Coming Down EP, and after that...well, I'll save that for when Coming Down is complete. :)

I'll post the first WIP when I start getting to work on it. :kiss:

LOLJKLANAISFIRSTPRIORITYBECAUSEWELLLANA

Ew. I haven't updated this in over a month. I was in an awkward position emotionally and artistically when I was trying to start new projects after You & Me. I started growing a disdain for some of the projects since I felt like I was trying too hard to force my muse to come back to me, so I just dropped everything.

But my muse has come back to me thanks to the new leaks, and right now my Lana library is in a greater need of organization/album art than any of the other artists in my collection. So I'll be updating this within the next few hours/days, depending on how soon I start my next project.

Hope no one's lost complete interest, I did bluff about the other projects quite a bit. :eek:

Okay, guys, I finally have updated WIP shots for my next album cover.

One of my sisters love Lana Del Rey, and I've been teasing her with all the unreleased tracks since day one and promised her that I'd give her everything after I worked on more art. Well, she got a new laptop and the suspense is killing her even more, so I decided to kick myself in the ass a little bit and get started on new work.

I fell in love with one of the candid photos from when Lana was in West Hollywood looking for a horse topiary sculpture, and I initially wanted to do an album cover with it for I Don't Wanna Go or Afraid, but I couldn't think of a background that entertained the idea, but then I thought of Chelsea Hotel No. 2. I had a beautiful shot of the front awning that I wanted to play around with, so I got to work.

Non-revised WIP shot:

9585354881_1dd48e6643_z.jpg

Right, so, this render of Lana's composed of two different shots from the West Hollywood candids; I didn't like how some of the flowers and bagged plants were covering her legs, so I worked on blending the picture with one that had her legs in clear sight. It worked out fairly well, I've never really done body-part swapping before so I am still trying to get my bearings. She might be a little too long in the torso, though, so I might have to fix that. I wanted the dress to fit more snugly, so I did a little blending/smudging around her breasts, but I need to fix the shape. After that, I intend on doing some more touch-ups before I start working on effects and implementing text in the photo. I'm thinking of going for a vintage photo look.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: NEW WIP SHOT

I was almost tempted not to, but I redone the render I made from the two candids, I think her torso looks much better now! :smile: 9588733706_ed7bacde25_z.jpg

Okay, guys, I finally have updated WIP shots for my next album cover.

One of my sisters love Lana Del Rey, and I've been teasing her with all the unreleased tracks since day one and promised her that I'd give her everything after I worked on more art. Well, she got a new laptop and the suspense is killing her even more, so I decided to kick myself in the ass a little bit and get started on new work.

I fell in love with one of the candid photos from when Lana was in West Hollywood looking for a horse topiary sculpture, and I initially wanted to do an album cover with it for I Don't Wanna Go or Afraid, but I couldn't think of a background that entertained the idea, but then I thought of Chelsea Hotel No. 2. I had a beautiful shot of the front awning that I wanted to play around with, so I got to work.

9585354881_1dd48e6643_z.jpg

Right, so, Lana's composed of two different shots from the West Hollywood candids; I didn't like how some of the flowers and bagged plants were covering her legs, so I worked on blending the picture with one that had her legs in clear sight. It worked out fairly well, I've never really done body-part swapping before so I am still trying to get my bearings. She might be a little too long in the torso, though, so I might have to fix that. I wanted the dress to fit more snugly, so I did a little blending/smudging around her breasts, but I need to fix the shape. After that, I intend on doing some more touch-ups before I start working on effects and implementing text in the photo. I'm thinking of going for a vintage photo look.

What do you guys think?

It's perfect :icant:

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

It's perfect :icant:

:aw: :thankyou: :kiss2:

Another WIP shot!

9589074184_78b91d309f_c.jpg

:erm: I have been considering converting the whole image into a more nighttime scene by adding some blue-hued layers and some lighting effects. Still unsure, but anyway, I flipped around the hotel name on the awning to reflect the album/song title, and am currently working with different fonts for Lana's name. I might put an outline around her name so it stands out more.

I also added a blurred pedestrian walking. There wass a lot of open space in the background, so I am trying to get creative with filling it in; I figured it'd be interesting having an anonymous male in the photo not facing Lana's direction, and Lana becomes a more obvious point of focus, I think.

I'm definitely feeling a lot more confident with this project. :)

CHELSEA HOTEL NO. 2 IS COMPLETE.

9589516156_e02cc4a318_c.jpg

Moved Lana around a little bit, which worked out because it helped with keeping too much of the background open, and I managed to get Leonard Cohen's plaque in the shot this time. I couldn't figure out a way to get the night scene to work out, so I just added some warmer filters. It actually kind of has a post-rain afternoon atmosphere to it.

Hope you guys like this! I'll probably do more work on it in the next few days if need be, but I got some other projects to start working on. :smile:

@@evilentity's impact is real.

Here's an update!

Had A Clockwork Orange idea in mind for a while, but I wasn't sure how to implement it, so this is what I came up with:

13887568302_ef3a3c9787_b.jpg

I don't think I'm gonna fuck with it anymore, it's interesting how it came out. I'd like to hear thoughts anyway!

YOU & ME - B&W Recolor - Progress: COMPLETE

"OFFICIAL" ALBUM COVER [LUNA MOTH]:

8898297863_0c0180863f_o.jpg

Luna Moth: Spiritual transformation, rebirth, psychic awareness; new beginnings, intuition, knowledge; vulnerability, determination, clarity, attraction and subtlety. Their white bodies are said to embody the soul of a loved one; other tales claim that two moths flying around together are the souls of two lovers finally reuniting.

Absolutely in love with this, woW. 

tumblr_inline_n72ktprYsx1sehw87.png

Your editing is fantastic, especially your colouring process.

The only thing that bothers me is that your text/fonts are unreadable, but as you progress with your WIP's it gets better and better.

All in all, fantastic work, keep it up! :flutter:

tumblr_mfdmjr7dj81rkojyto1_500.gif

Yikes, after a long break of not bothering making album art covers, I am finally back on my game now that I have been motivated to fix my Lana library.

Here's my cover for the soon-to-be-complete Teenage Wasteland album.

16343287256_fae2d33812_o.jpg

The guy featured is Norman Reedus, and he's making another cameo appearance in my Back to tha Basics album when the Endless Summer Tour photo I am looking for is found in higher resolution that what we have. I promise I won't make a habit of it, hehe.

It worked out perfectly because everything in the photo is all a Norman Reedus shot, and since he was off-center, it made room for Lana. I wasn't sure how it'd turn out, but I am actually happy with it since I had previous scrapped this render of Lana that I made when I tried to make a Summer of Sam album. :smile:

As always, suggestions are always welcome; I had a little trouble getting Lana to blend with the photo lighting, but I figured close-enough was better than not at all. She might need a little more shadows done.

Okay, so I realized while making the tracklist for TV in Black & White, that I never finished the album art or discussed it at all since I first shared it.

TV in Black & White is probably one of the album covers I've done that I genuinely am happy with, next to Chelsea Hotel No. 2, which despite a few flaws in the Lana render I made for that album cover, worked out beautifully.

I wanted to keep the theme retro, but I had a few different ideas in mind for TVIBW, and was fucking with a lot of different photos because of it.

The first idea I had, was to get a shot of a retro living room with a family gathered around the TV, watching a show/newscast about crimes, have them in the background, and have Lana in the foreground, on the phone, crying, presumably talking to the love interest of TVIBW.

I ran into a few problems with this because this required shots that had more depth perception to them, at least far enough where Lana could be in another room on the foreground but we could see what was going on in the back. I also didn't have the right shots to work with of Lana, so that idea was scrapped.

The second one was to have Lana visiting a prison, but there was just something missing from the idea. So I returned to the first idea's concept, but decided to go a little simpler.
Using Google Search I found the room used for the album cover:

16447174365_6e9002d354_z.jpg

And the opening scene for a random TV show:

16261167197_c28930a0c2_n.jpg

I don't have the original photo, so I had to cut it from the collage I made for FB to showcase the process to this album art, but this is the shot of Lana I used:

16421186116_1ba096f005_z.jpg

It worked out perfectly because she was already sitting on a chair with grey upholstery, so it took a little effort to make both fabrics blend with each other, but it was successful.

I added runny mascara, lightened Lana's eye-color by a smidge, and made a few tweaks to come up with the final cover.
9602451931_d692234810_z.jpg

But now I'm thinking about it, and I wanted to know: Do you guys prefer the album art as is, or should I add her name and the album title?

The day finally came that I sorted my Lana library again. 380 songs and 33 albums later,
I decided it was time to start working on album art again.

I give you...

MOVIE BLUE DRIVE-IN
23511896499_6f699d5c8c_b.jpg

The idea came quick, but it took me a while to find the right candid and the right backdrop for the photo.
I started around 3 PM today and officially finished about an hour ago, a lot of tweaking and improvising.

The backdrop is a shot of the Blue Top Drive-In; I never really worked with signs and light boxes before, so this was a nice challenge.

Here's a side-by-side comparison with the original photos used:

23796921041_a30f2126c9_b.jpg

It's not perfect, but I am very happy with it, nonetheless. In fact, this might actually be my favorite that I have done.

I might tweak the signs up again eventually, but I have a lot of other albums to tackle,
so I am gonna save further revisions until I take care of the big projects first.

Hope you guys like this! :)