Sign in to follow this  
ExoticFlower

Lana Del Rey to Dagbladet: "It makes me so mad." (15.06.2014)

Heeey, I thought these Norwegian interviews were pretty good, so I'll translate another one from Dagbladet

On the performance in Bergen

It was amazing. Totally amazing. 

It's 2 AM at night and Lana Del Rey (27), is relaxed and elated at the same time. 

Dagbladet talks to her an hour short after her performance in Bergen that held place night till sunday. She has already concluded that tonights concert was one of her most memorable performances ever.

Lana: "I got this feeling that no matter if I sang jazz or one of my new singles, people would be there with me, and have a good understanding of who I am."

The album

Both VG and Dagbladet gave Lana a score of 5. Lana describes the album as a mix of the psychedelic 70's, West Coast fusion and underground jazz. 

"I am not as formal anymore, I feel more spontaneous now. It is more about snapshots of what has influenced me, both the good and the bad."

- "You sing about money, booze, power and sleeping your way to the top...?"

Lana: "Everything I sing about on the record is a combination of things that have happened, and things that people think have happened. Money Power Glory, as an example, is about how people interpreted me and misunderstood me. It is sarcastic response to that. West Coast and Cruel World is connected to the excitement I feel when I'm at the west coast, where I live now after I moved from New York. Everything is about how others see me, and how it has affected me."

- "In other words, you're taking a stand against the prejudice?" 

Lana: "Yes, that is my answer. I felt very sarcastic when I wrote some of those songs," she says and laughs. (OMG I can almost hear her cute and loud laugh as I'm writing this  :excited:)

Unfortunate circumstances

For she can laugh, despite how mass media has painted her picture with sad and heavy paint strokes.

The 27 year old, whose real name is Elizabeth Grant, has previously told a tale about how she got sent away at the age of 14 because she had drinking problems. Also about the cult she was part of, and got used by. And her many rock and roll boyfriends. 

Not to mention that she sounds unmistakably sad in many of her songs. But is she?

Lana: "It depends. I really don't know why everything has to sound so bittersweet. I have felt peaceful and calm while writing nowadays, reflecting on experiences I have had. I was sarcastic, upset about personal stuff in my life and how it has been. But in a more reflecting way than sad this time."

- "Do you depend on a certain amount of sadness to make your music?"

Lana: "No, I don't find it to be like that. I think I have been unfortunate with circumstances, and it has affected my writing. I am in a peaceful state of mind now, but I haven't exactly been very happy in a while either." 

It makes me so mad

It may seem like Lana Del Rey adds her fair share of fuel to the fire. Not long ago she said that she often felt sick, without knowing why. And then we have the quote that has gone global since it was published by the Guardian: "I wish I was dead already."

- "What did you mean by that?"

Lana: "This is another way of sensationalizing whatever I'm saying. It makes me so mad (or it pisses me off, Idk what the best option was). I talked to the writer for three hours, and he saw my show. When you're in a room with someone, it's not just about what you're saying, but it's also about your personality and how you are as a person. It's about reading between the lines. I don't understand why he felt the need to take it so literally," she says. 

"To top it off he asked me very leading questions. He talked about Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse, asked me a lot about death and pumped me for answers and how I felt about dying young, because I was sad and had been through a lot (I can imagine her saying this with a very snarky undertone  :oic2:)".

"He wanted to know if I had thought about dying, and yes, sometimes I have. But not always. Only on those days when it all becomes too much. Then I have days where it affects me less. The way he wrote it made it all seem so much more shocking than it really was."

Happy behind the wheel

So Lana Del Rey is not sad all the time, in case someone was under that impression. She feels her best when cruising around in California, where she currently lives. 

Lana: "I spend a lot of time by the sea, on the beach, with good friends. I love recording my music. And I love going to concerts, watch rock stars perform, like Courtney Love, The Who and Gun's and Roses."

- "Do you feel like media gets too caught up in this one side of you, the sad one?"

Lana: "A bit. It's also about being obsessed with one persons concept. It is why I have chosen some of the songs I have chosen on the tracklist on Ultraviolence. But I understand it too, the way it is. It makes a pretty good story, but it doesn't have to become fictionalized either."

Sensitive and imaginative

- "What is it like to be you?"

Lana: "It is beautiful and confusing," answers Del Rey, after thinking it through in silence. The she elaborates: "I am an imaginative person, I like being caught by surprise in life. But I am sensitive too. I find it hard when things gets out of my control."

"But I still manage to enjoy moments of true beauty, like being here tonight, while it's still bright outside and the skye is blue. I like to capture that in songs, and my biggest passion is still writing. It makes a good manifestation of all the unease, and all that confusion gives life to beautiful things. I am blessed to have that to hold on to."

- "You seem grateful?"

Lana: "I am. When it all comes down to it, it's all about the music. That's the one thing in my life I can't do wrong."

I'm worried about Lana, she's not happy nowadays? What happened to "I'm happy"? Is she hitting another blue period?  :ohno: 

1olt2g.jpg

I didn't know MPG was saracstic... I mean I guess I kind of figured but I love how pretentious she is in it and on top of that it's funny so yeah I can see how she was sarcastic in it. 

Thanks for posting love the interview!

god knows I tried

I've always read she was born in 1986, am I missing something?

Yes. Everything you will read publicly says she was born in 1986, but fans have found evidence from her childhood that she is a year older and starting lying about her age at some point in her early career. 

Yes. Everything you will read publicly says she was born in 1986, but fans have found evidence from her childhood that she is a year older and starting lying about her age at some point in her early career.

That's crazy! And now I'm curious, what evidence? Is there a thread?

It makes me so mad

It may seem like Lana Del Rey adds her fair share of fuel to the fire. Not long ago she said that she often felt sick, without knowing why. And then we have the quote that has gone global since it was published by the Guardian: "I wish I was dead already."

- "What did you mean by that?"

Lana: "This is another way of sensationalizing whatever I'm saying. It makes me so mad (or it pisses me off, Idk what the best option was). I talked to the writer for three hours, and he saw my show. When you're in a room with someone, it's not just about what you're saying, but it's also about your personality and how you are as a person. It's about reading between the lines. I don't understand why he felt the need to take it so literally," she says. 

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:17 AM by Rockhouse

This is why I prefer video / radio interviews more than written articles - you never can be sure that artists really said this or that and in which context.

Maybe Lana just used an unfortunate choice of words, and the writer misrepresented / twisted her word (intentionally) to make this article more interesting ...

Current positive German interview: http://www.n-tv.de/l...le12919346.html

(Maybe you can use an online translator for it.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What did I say? That writer twisted her word to make his article more interesting.

Thank Jesus for this. My peace of mind is back! Love you forever Lana...

What did I say? That writer twisted her word to make his article more interesting.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

Thanks so much for posting and translating this :)

You're welcome ^_^ I enjoyed translating this, Lana expresses herself in such an interesting way. But you guys remember that this interview took place in english, then got written as an article in Norwegian, and was then translated by me again. So she may have chosen different words or expressions when talking, but I translated as close as I could while trying to keep it natural and pleasant to read. I just hope that the interviewer got things right, it sucks how she's being misquoted all the time. But I kinda like this interview, it's very respectful. And this I just adored:

"But I still manage to enjoy moments of true beauty, like being here tonight, while it's still bright outside and the skye is blue. I like to capture that in songs, and my biggest passion is still writing. It makes a good manifestation of all the unease, and all that confusion gives life to beautiful things. I am blessed to have that to hold on to."

:heart: 

Man she can write a song based on that paragraph alone. Let the spirit of Norway inspire you, Lana! :bliss: 

1olt2g.jpg

AND he saw her show... Longass interview.

THAT makes me mad. He spent all that time pretending to be nice to her, to trick Lana into opening up to him. And then he turned around and used it out of context for click bait. What a horrible thing to do to someone, no wonder Lana has such spite for their breed. It's too bad this article is in Norwegian, I feel it would draw more attention in English :sadcore2: