Sign in to follow this  
cocaineandcola

Lana and Jeff Buckley

I am so- I don't know- thrilled? grateful?- to know that Lana is a fan of my Elvis, Jeff Buckley.

Upon hearing BTD for the first time 3 years ago (wow), I just had the intuition that she was aware of his talent and grace and that he had a strong influence on her musically and as a person. As Jeff is my ultimate hero, when I heard Dark Paradise, I immediately thought of him (he drowned in 1997 at the age of 30, and while it was reported to be an accident, I think it might have been a suicide) due to the lines: "swimming in the ocean/singing your song" and "I wish I was dead (like you)" and then again with YaB, "Oh, that grace".

Anyway, I know there are a few of you who are really big fans of Jeff, too. Let's congregate here (and maybe write Lana/Jeff fanfiction?  :teehee:) I'd really like to hear of your experience with Jeff and also if you can picture him and Lana being lovers/friends, had he lived. I tried tweeting L that they would have been the perfect couple a few times, haha. 

I love, love, loveee Jeff Buckley. Let's not forget that Lana has dated two Jeff Buckley look-a-likes, Reeve Carney and Jimmy Gnecco. Reeve Carney was cast to play Jeff in a movie..but that might never happen. Jimmy Gnecco actually got to know Jeff before he died. I always thought those connections were odd, given how much Lana seems to love Jeff Buckley's music.

I think Cruel World is the most Buckley-esque song that Lana has ever done. I wish the influence was more apparent sometimes. Like I want Lana's version of Grace. I think that if she continues to develop from the sound of Ultraviolence it wouldn't be too crazy to think that the next album would develop into an album with a lot of influence from Jeff.

I actually thought of the Buckley connection to Dark Paradise too. Mostly because Jeff's drowning has always been described in this picturesque manner. He was floating in the river singing Zeppelin and then he was gone. I always connected that image "lying in the ocean/singing your song" to Jeff. It might be completely wrong, but it fits.

They were, yes! Right before he died. Jimmy was even compared to Jeff at the beginning of his career (with reason, I mean he totally uses Jeff's spiraling falsetto a lot). When Lana performed at l'Olympia for the first time, she mentioned how honored she was considering Jeff Buckley had performed there. I could totally see Jeff being another iconic figure to Lana, I mean he's so gorgeous and ethereal and enigmatic. Ah, if only she'd write a song for/about him like she has with some other musicians.