CherryGalore

Lana Del Rey and Intertextuality

I was born to live fast, die young

Leave a beautiful corpse

Live fast, die young and have a good-looking corpse! - John Derek

This is also a quote from one of her favourite movies, True Romance! Clarence says it in like the couple of minutes!

Great post @!!!  :heart:

The concept of Tropico, the loss of innocence and the idea of Paradise Lost, Garden of Eden transformed into the Garden of Evil (...) is a reference to John Milton's poem "Paradise Lost". As Anthony Mandler said about the title: “The word kind of lends itself to a paradise and a paradise lost. Lana had always had it in her head as the title.”

This is also a quote from one of her favourite movies, True Romance! Clarence says it in like the couple of minutes!

Great post @!!!  :heart:

Thank you :kiss:

:heart:  :heart:  :heart:

Elvis: "In blue suede shoes, but it was a cover for all of the trouble..." (Hollywood's Dead)

btw I don't think I'm on fire is that of an intertextuality, I mean, it's not like Bruce invented it, it's a common phrase... also bad to the bone is a popular expression, so to say it's from Thorogood's song is somewhat far-fetched, idk

Good point. I did take into consideration, that 'bad to the bone' easily could've been a popular idiom before Thorogood's song. I googled it, but couldn't quite determine if that was the case or not, but I guess you're right.

As for 'I'm on fire' I do think it's safe to say that Lana is heavily inspired by Springsteen and thus is referencing him (intentionally or not). She mentions him in both songs and interviews and listens to him every single day. The song "I'm on Fire" by Springsteen also mentions a "bad desire"... Which sounds like a familiarity in the Lana universe (...burning desire). If you google "I'm on fire" all you get are hits relating to the Springsteen song and if you google "I'm on fire expression" that's still the case. I'm not saying that it's not a popular expression (well, define popular) but I am sticking to my guns on this one x

Tempted to rename this thread "Textual Appropriation".

Wouldn't be correct.

This isn't a lyric but vulgar darling from her old twitter bio Me, your Vulgar Darling. Glimmering in the Swimming Pool. is a line from lolita by nabokov

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

Could this be considered a green day reference from 'Beautiful Player' - He's selling stars on the boulevard of broken dreams

I think so  :)  I don't think it's considered an idiom or a general saying...? Good find  :cuteface:

I think so  :)  I don't think it's considered an idiom or a general saying...? Good find  :cuteface:

Thanks! was listening to song other day and I thought it sounded familiar...

party.gif?w=1100

"My life, it comprises, of losses and wins and fails and falls." - Money, Power, Glory

could be influenced by "I am a series of small victories and large defeats," from Bukowski's The People Look Like Flowers At Last.

I immediately thought of the poem when I heard her sing the line.

Just had a proper look at http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/4152-quotes-in-lana-songs/ !! @@PinUpCartoonBaby thank you for showing me that thread :cuteface:

@@Alicia says: "Heavier than Heavenly" in On our way, Heavier than Heaven was a Kurt Cobain biography

@@fruitpunchlips says: In Twin Peaks Dale Cooper says "Windom Earle's mind is like a diamond. It's cold, and hard, and brilliant." She also quotes Officer Brown in Backfire “Kids, come out. Ain’t no way to live, let me show you how.” 

@@PinUpCartoonBaby says: "You're my Axl Rose husband, Blue hydrangea, White Pontiac heaven." There's a poem by the great Rainer Maria Rilke ...  "Blue Hydrangea"

So Legit: "They said you could make it anywhere if you can make it here --> New York, New York by Sinatra: "And if i can make it there, I'm gonna make it anywhere"

Put Your Lips Together: "You know how to whistle, don't'cha? Just put your lips together and blow"

--> To Have And Have Not: "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow"

@@DeadAgainst said: Children of the Bad Revolution: T-Rex: Children of the Bad Revolution

Snoop Dogg feat. Pharrell: Drop It Like It's Hot

Batman (1989): Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight

@@GodBlessMe said: Summertime sadness: "Dancing in the dark in the pale moonlight" "Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen.

@@silver starlet said: "He's my drugstore cowboy, Italian alloy"  from the movie title Drugstore Cowboy

@@TrailerParkDarling said: "four alarm fire"~ dangerous girl + "not since bonnie and clyde have two kids been so good at being bad bad bad"~ live or die - the True Romance trailer

Btw Gods and Monsters was Jeff Buckley's first band in New York.

Whitney Houston: Queen of the night (Go Go Dancer)

Whitney Houston: (I'm gonna) // I'll run to you (Old Money)

Edith Piaf: La Vie En Rose (intro to St. Tropez Party Girl.)

Could this be considered a green day reference from 'Beautiful Player' -

He's selling stars on the boulevard of broken dreams

Probably not. There's a 1933 song called Boulevard of Broken Dreams and a 1988 movie. The expression exists long before green day, although I can't find where it originated from right now (on mobile).

I also don't think queen of the night is a Whitney reference. Mozart had a character called the queen of the night in one opera, but I'm pretty sure she's not referring to that either. It's probably not a reference to anything. She calls herself queen of so many things. All she had to do is combine it with the euphemism woman of the night for prostitute.

This isn't a lyric but vulgar darling from her old twitter bio Me, your Vulgar Darling. Glimmering in the Swimming Pool. is a line from lolita by nabakov

"im your vulgar darling in the swimming pool" from moi je joue

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif