Hi! Mod team is aware of site issues and have contacted Admin :) ×
Macintosh Manhattan

Salon: "Lana Is The Perfect Artist For An America In Decline"

While I agree with you I can't stop thinking she's much more aware of the aesthetics she's chosen to portray in her music than we imagine. This particular quote it's pretty interesting:

"There is a whole new genre that nobody is observing. The American Dream and American Psycho are starting to represent the same thing. Cinema and music and life are starting to merge. Death is art. We've played pop music out. That wholesome dream is dead (...)I'm talking about epic, knocked-down, dragged-out love stories in song. That's what I'm heading towards. I want to destroy lives with my music and to understand the glamour of danger. Without Scarface would there be half the gangsters there are out there now?"

For me this quote totally captures her whole persona and what she's trying to achieve in her songs perfectly. It just can't be all that unintentional, you see - or at least that's what I want to believe.

This ^^ I've been saying this for a long time. Lana got it before most people did National Anthem, Ride, Born To Die and specially Tropico are an odissey to a decadent AMerica where the show business and politics combine in one, in another words society is making everyone famous because everyone is watching and seeing everyone. Ig and twitter. Everyone needs wants to be liked, loved, popular, famous and etc (this is as old as the times of empire but today got to a whole new level). That's what her decay means imo. It's a monetary decay, or saying America is broke, is saying the values changed too much, things are an anthem, money is an anthem. Most of her songs refer to things and use objects to describe a certain place or a certain feeling or value (cars, diamonds, books, ). People often forget Lana is a philosophy graduate (?) that grow up with both parents being from the Advertising world. Imo she's quite smart and aware of the world she lives 

Youtube combined sound and image like never before, it's all one now. The fastest the internet gets the more sound and image will combine. We now have streams taking lead over album sales. Why? Because we want to see it and hear it. 

As for the inevitable stardom that will come her way? That is something Lana Del Rey does not fear. "I know a lot of different people. When they are drunk, in the dark of the night they all want the same thing. They all want to be famous. It's innately human to want other people to bear witness to your life. It's important for people to be watched. They don't want to be alone. I don't want to be alone."

glgcDdT.gif

I agree with some of this writer's points. There's a lot of romanticism throughout LDR's body of work. Plus, another of her influences, the Beatnik movement, is about hedonism, pessimism and existential crisis. One cannot deny that.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg