Honeymooner

Auto-tune in National Anthem??

I know Lana doesn't use auto-tune in any live performances, and I don't believe she has used it in studio recordings... with one exception, and I'm looking for feedback.

So, anyone out there with really good ears and/or perfect pitch, now's your chance. :)

At 2:52, where the "Red, white, blue is in the sky" lyrics start, and then at 2:57 when the word "eyes" is sung and she sings it across 5 different pitches (F-G-F-Eflat-C), my ear is detecting the slight electronic timbre that is consistent with auto-tune. Just wanted to see if it's my imagination, or if anyone else thinks so. Sometimes, people use auto-tune for the effect (as Cher did in "Believe," 1998), so maybe Lana was going for something there. What do you think?

I'm usually pretty sensitive to the sound of autotune, and that doesn't sound like it to me. She sings quite softly on the studio records, so it might be that she's using a more speak-sing style than most pop singers that creates the illusion. (I'm happy to accept I might be wrong here).

BTW, is the 'one exception' Birds of a Feather - where it's used more like an instrument than a corrective technique - or were you thinking of something else?

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Its probably due to the vocal layering she uses. She probably sang two vocal tracks in slightly different pitches and layered them together.This is why it might sound auto tuneish. But Lana use auto tune tho lol I doubt that tbh....

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

Not hearing it. In the video version of NA, I heard some double tracking on the first verse that I hadn't heard on the album version, so maybe that's it. It doesn't sound like excessive auto tune (or any pitch correction) that gives the Cher effect, and if there were any effect, it'd be far too subtle to be intentional in my opinion.

I'm also growing to agree with Monicker that BoaF uses a chorus effect, not autotune.

They edited her voice in almost every song on Born to Die. So yeah I think they did something with this song. Or maybe she's just singing like "eeEeEyYeEes" lmao.

They edited her voice in almost every song on Born to Die. So yeah I think they did something with this song. Or maybe she's just singing like "eeEeEyYeEes" lmao.

How did they do it ? Cause I always felt her voice is "higher" on the record than live. Especially on BJ.. The way she sings the first few lines live are way deeper than the album version ..

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

BTW, is the 'one exception' Birds of a Feather - where it's used more like an instrument than a corrective technique - or were you thinking of something else?

No, the "one exception" I was talking about was National Anthem, specifically the area that I described in my original post. :)

Autotune =/= pitch correction

I know, it's often used for effect, as Cher did.

I'm also growing to agree with Monicker that BoaF uses a chorus effect, not autotune.

Haven't heard that song.  I really don't know anything about other vocal/layering effects, though; that's why I was wondering. :)

They did?  How so?