Gecko

Pink Floyd

Any Floyd junkies here? What’s your opinion on Waters vs. Gilmour? 

I always had a slight preference to David Gilmour. His guitar work defines many of Floyd’s classic songs, not to mention he had lead vocals on the majority of their records. He also seemed to be much more down to earth and, frankly, less obnoxious. 

I’ve seen them both (Roger and David) solo. The shows were great. I preferred Dave’s shows, but I have to admit seeing The Wall by Roger was something else. Definitely a top concert. 

Anyway, Roger’s ego and some political statements have definitely rubbed me the wrong way. He’s also said nasty things about his former bandmates over the years. 

He just released a Dark Side of the Moon “Redux” that I haven’t brought myself to listen to. I just find his demeanor and ego very off putting, plus the whole concept of the redux seems like a slap in the face to Floyd. Apparently he had a concert recently where he lashed out at the fans. So very Roger of him. 

Has anyone listened to it? Does anyone else have opinions on Roger or Dave?

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879

18 minutes ago, Quincy said:

Any Floyd junkies here? What’s your opinion on Waters vs. Gilmour? 

I always had a slight preference to David Gilmour. His guitar work defines many of Floyd’s classic songs, not to mention he had lead vocals on the majority of their records. He also seemed to be much more down to earth and, frankly, less obnoxious. 

I’ve seen them both (Roger and David) solo. The shows were great. I preferred Dave’s shows, but I have to admit seeing The Wall by Roger was something else. Definitely a top concert. 

Anyway, Roger’s ego and some political statements have definitely rubbed me the wrong way. He’s also said nasty things about his former bandmates over the years. 

He just released a Dark Side of the Moon “Redux” that I haven’t brought myself to listen to. I just find his demeanor and ego very off putting, plus the whole concept of the redux seems like a slap in the face to Floyd. Apparently he had a concert recently where he lashed out at the fans. So very Roger of him. 

Has anyone listened to it? Does anyone else have opinions on Roger or Dave?

David was very kind to syd barret and helped him develop his album. That being said, I've always been more biased to Roger and I enjoy his vocal nature about issues. I mostly agree with him even though some things seem he is perhaps being too extreme, but I still thinks he makes solid points. David was a bit of prude after syd left, and was constantly focusing on what would be popular and what would sell. He is an interesting guitar player and I've grown to appreciate David more, but as a teen my friends and i were hardcore syd barret supporters and were a bit anti gilmour but that has all faded. Was listening to a syd record the other night. First time in a long time me and my buddy listened to that album. Psychedelic rock started with him, but sadly, he lost his mind from a lot of bad choices. We were commenting how syd barrett and Daniel Johnston had some things in common. As far as Roger goes, his vision of the wall was of the most phenomenal representations of the beginning of rock opera and it's hard to put the wall and dark side of the moon, or animals into words in the way that's it's aesthetic is an audible movie inside of an album. The way they tied themes together was powerful. They also developed the joystick for stereo phonic panormas of sound which is under looked but quite profound..

13 minutes ago, Rivers said:

David was very kind to syd barret and helped him develop his album. That being said, I've always been more biased to Roger and I enjoy his vocal nature about issues. I mostly agree with him even though some things seem he is perhaps being too extreme, but I still thinks he makes solid points. David was a bit of prude after syd left, and was constantly focusing on what would be popular and what would sell. He is an interesting guitar player and I've grown to appreciate David more, but as a teen my friends and i were hardcore syd barret supporters and were a bit anti gilmour but that has all faded. Was listening to a syd record the other night. First time in a long time me and my buddy listened to that album. Psychedelic rock started with him, but sadly, he lost his mind from a lot of bad choices. We were commenting how syd barrett and Daniel Johnston had some things in common. As far as Roger goes, his vision of the wall was of the most phenomenal representations of the beginning of rock opera and it's hard to put the wall and dark side of the moon, or animals into words in the way that's it's aesthetic is an audible movie inside of an album. The way they tied themes together was powerful. They also developed the joystick for stereo phonic panormas of sound which is under looked but quite profound..

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I really think that Pink Floyd was bigger than any one person, although many would argue Syd was the face and driving force of The Floyd in the late 60s. I appreciated when the Gilmour-led Floyd opened some of their 94’ tour gigs with Astronomy Domine. 

Anyway, have you had an opportunity to listen to Roger’s new take on DSOTM? I’m curious to hear a review from someone who’s a bigger Roger fan. 

1 hour ago, Quincy said:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I really think that Pink Floyd was bigger than any one person, although many would argue Syd was the face and driving force of The Floyd in the late 60s. I appreciated when the Gilmour-led Floyd opened some of their 94’ tour gigs with Astronomy Domine. 

Anyway, have you had an opportunity to listen to Roger’s new take on DSOTM? I’m curious to hear a review from someone who’s a bigger Roger fan. 

Out of the loop. Didn't know about it. I know money was supposed to be an acoustic blues song and David wanted it to be a popular radio song. 

2 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Out of the loop. Didn't know about it. I know money was supposed to be an acoustic blues song and David wanted it to be a popular radio song. 

I’m not sure about this. Roger has sole songwriting credits on the track. If the end result was a pop radio song, but Roger wrote most of the song, that doesn’t jive. When Dave played this song with post-Waters Floyd, they often included an extended blues jazz jam session. 

Dave is definitely more of a blues player than Roger. But my intention is not to start an argument:kiss:

Gilmour has vetoed the release of the album unless these liner notes are removed.

“He does not dispute the veracity of the history described in Mark’s notes, but he wants that history to remain secret. This is a small part of an ongoing campaign by the Gilmour/[Polly Samson, Gilmour’s wife] camp to claim more credit for Dave on the work he did in Pink Floyd, 1967-1985, than is his due.”

I can't find where he talks about the song money, but I am not bullshitting you, and that is what money originally was supposed to be.

11 hours ago, Quincy said:

Yikes, this was painful to watch 

Yeah I mean Israel is a horrible country that constantly commits terrorism and shoots little children in the face. This video is just propaganda. You wouldn't believe the stuff I hear Israeli soldiers say, such as that they are the superior race and Palestine should be exterminated. It's the grossest things imaginable that are full blown Nazi fascism. He shouldn't be directing it at Jews, but at Israel, but Jews do hold the majority of power globally from banking to corporations.