Honeymooner

Lana with vs. without live strings

Being a string player myself, I much prefer to see Lana performing live with actual live string players, rather than using recorded string tracks.  Up until recently, most of her live performances had live strings.  But over the last few months, especially at outdoor festivals, she hasn't had the live string players.  Maybe it's because of the logistics involved with festivals, having that many people on-stage, etc., I don't know... but I can say that I miss seeing her live performances with strings.  Any thoughts/opinions?

I obviously love the live strings on Born to Die/Paradise tracks but for Ultraviolence they're kind of unnecessary. She's slowly changing the setlist so she doesn't really need them. She's recently added a new member to the band, though!

Some video examples would be nice for the uncultured the less musically inclined! :P

This, I don't know what is the difference

If they replace it digitally the strings are still there, no

Well, depends on how it's done.

Some songs like Gods & Monsters, Cola, Young & Beautiful, Body Electric or Carmen had beutiful rearrangements where they don't use strings at all and it sounds good.

And then there have been performances of songs like Born To Die or Ultraviolence which she played with prerecorded violins. This is really stupid, becuase either way she has to bring strings or don't use them. I don't like it if an artist has big parts of ther instrumentals prerechorded (don't like how FMWUTTT was already completely prerechorded too)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Some video examples would be nice for the uncultured the less musically inclined! :P

I'll find some later when I have more time...

I obviously love the live strings on Born to Die/Paradise tracks but for Ultraviolence they're kind of unnecessary. She's slowly changing the setlist so she doesn't really need them. She's recently added a new member to the band, though!

Good point, although even now, her concerts contain more BTD/Paradise songs than UV.  There are also some UV songs that use strings, like "Ultraviolence" and "Old Money."  I did like the arrangement of "Old Money" that she sang in Mexico with her live band, though... wasn't bad without the strings.  But I like the album version with strings, too. :)

This, I don't know what is the difference

If they replace it digitally the strings are still there, no

Yes, but you can tell the difference (at least I can) between pre-recorded and live.  Plus, live adds to the show.

Well, depends on how it's done.

Some songs like Gods & Monsters, Cola, Young & Beautiful, Body Electric or Carmen had beutiful rearrangements where they don't use strings at all and it sounds good.

And then there have been performances of songs like Born To Die or Ultraviolence which she played with prerecorded violins. This is really stupid, becuase either way she has to bring strings or don't use them. I don't like it if an artist has big parts of ther instrumentals prerechorded (don't like how FMWUTTT was already completely prerechorded too)

I honestly don't care as long as she's performing.