AKA Lizzy Grant

SOPHIE

2 hours ago, nuclear angel said:

sophie was playing a remix

So in an amazing turn of events give it to me and fuck reality are two different songs 

she was just ad-libbing her lyrics over the intro of give it to me 

just to clarify I dm’d signe asking if the version sophie played was like a remix or something and she said this:

‘Fuck Reality is my song. It stemmed from some of my poetry, which I ad libbed over a SOPHIE beat during our live show— but it isn’t a song with her (although she loved the demos). My songs with her are Do U Wanna Be Alive & Give It To Me.’

I then asked for confirmation that fuck reality and give it to me are two different songs and she confirmed that’s the case - at least we know now!

I am still gagged by the tracklist like… Nina Kraviz?!? Hannah Diamond?!?! The techno songs back to back?? This looks so epic I’m even more hyped now

Honestly WHO CARES about some songs we expected not making the cut, we are getting so much unheard stuff it’s unreal 

The Guardian interviewed Ben, their two sisters, Jeffrey Sfire, Marcella Dusi, Andrew Thomson, Banoffee, Cecile Believe, Hannah Diamond, etc

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/sep/20/sophie-posthumous-album-interview

“Sophie, the album, was completed after her death by Ben Long, Sophie’s brother and longtime studio engineer. Speaking from Los Angeles, Ben says that he and his siblings, Emily Long and Katy Grimston, did not take lightly the task of completing their sister’s final record. Present in nearly all of Sophie’s studio sessions in the final few years of her life, Ben already knew intimately how the album would look when his sister died. The 16-song tracklist, which traverses pop, ambient music and techno, had been roughly sketched out by Sophie, and for many of the songs “everything was there – the arrangement, the production”. According to Ben, some songs only needed a little bit of mixing and mastering; others were between sketches and demos, but he and Sophie had discussed them at length, meaning he knew in which direction they needed to be taken.

The resulting album features longtime Sophie collaborators such as Cecile Believe, Hannah Diamond, Juliana Huxtable and Doss, and showcases the late musician’s interest in supremely challenging electronic music and euphoric pop. Intro (The Full Horror) is a soundscape built from ominous synth drones; The Dome’s Protection, featuring techno DJ Nina Kraviz, is an ambient, spoken-word song that feels clammy and alienating. In true Sophie fashion, the album is dense and unpredictable, never settling into the easy rhythms of a post-death tribute.”

-

“Hence the album Sophie, which flows through and was designed to work in tandem with a live show she had been working on. Many of the record sessions sprang, without plan, from social events. One such song was Love Me Off Earth, the album’s final track and a collaboration with New York producer Doss, writer Thora Siemsen and artist M Zavos-Costales. Sophie and Ben were two of the last to arrive at Siemsen’s birthday party in 2018, and Sophie bonded with Zavos-Costales through discussions about poetry and art. Sophie invited the pair to the studio the next day, where she “gave us some time to free-associate” lyrics, says Siemsen.

“That play element was a big part of it,” says Zavos-Costales. “It’s easy to get caught up on a line or a verse, and if there was any moment where we felt a bit stuck, it was like: ‘This isn’t working right now, let’s focus on something else and come back to it.’” Love Me Off Earth, like Immaterial, is one of Sophie’s most transcendent pop tracks: loud, invigorating and skyward-soaring, in the way much of her best music is. “I want anyone listening to it to think about the sources of love they do have on this planet,” says Siemsen. “My main hope is that people dance to it at the club, that they listen to it in the car. I think it’s cathartic.” 

Other songs, such as the Diamond collaboration Always and Forever, and My Forever, a song with Believe, prioritise sweetness and more classically pop melodies than Sophie often played with. “She’d messaged me and was like: ‘I’ve been really missing you and I was thinking about how one day it’d be really cool to write a song kind of like Electric Dreams,’” says Diamond.

My Forever also harks back to Sophie’s 80s obsession, specifically her love of Pet Shop Boys. “We were in the studio till the sun came up, basically,” says Believe. “We made it and then spent three or four hours just listening to it on loop – we knew we had made something that was such an emotional sweet spot.””

I’m happy we’re getting a lot of new songs but I can’t lie the removal of tmtd and nybd is really disappointing, like I just can’t understand why she’d scrap those 2 and include rawwwwww and plunging asymptote … I just hope doss releases nybd now cause we really need that final version 

There’s also another article on the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/20/arts/music/sophie-posthumous-album.html?unlocked_article_code=1.ME4.KhV8.K-UgYYob37ae

Sophie left behind many more tracks in progress, some of which are likely to emerge as singles or EPs, or appear on other performers’ albums. But as a guardian of Sophie’s catalog, Long has decided that “this is the last Sophie album,” he said. “This is an album that we had worked on for years. We discussed everything about it — the themes, the track list. So to do another album and put it out as a solo album, it would just feel all wrong.”

1 hour ago, parachute said:

There’s also another article on the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/20/arts/music/sophie-posthumous-album.html?unlocked_article_code=1.ME4.KhV8.K-UgYYob37ae

Sophie left behind many more tracks in progress, some of which are likely to emerge as singles or EPs, or appear on other performers’ albums. But as a guardian of Sophie’s catalog, Long has decided that “this is the last Sophie album,” he said. “This is an album that we had worked on for years. We discussed everything about it — the themes, the track list. So to do another album and put it out as a solo album, it would just feel all wrong.”

DROPLET TRUTHERS WIPE YOUR TEARS AND GET TF UP:oprah4:

During the peak of the pandemic, Diamond cycled across London to spend a day together in Sophie’s home studio, “drinking iced coffee, lying around in her bedroom, writing the song, recording some rough vocals and just basking in friendship,” she said. “It ended up being the last ever day that I saw her in person.”

She remembered biking away, and waving back at her friend. “Sophie just stood in the middle of the street in this incredibly glamorous outfit, smoking a cigarette, looking like this complete vision of beauty, in complete calmness in this crazy time,” she said. “And she was just grinning at me and waving. And, yeah, I think about that a lot.”

:kum:

resharing the potential droplets since it's basically confirmed there's more SOPHIE stuff that will be trickling out of the vault, via collaborators.

BC Kingdom EP
Big Freedia EP
Give It 2 Me - VIA BIG SISTER
Burn Rubber - VIA KKB
New York's Burning Down - VIA DOSS
Sunscreen - VIA LIZ & Tamta

Sfire Compilation - VIA Jeffrey Sfire

Unpredictable Reality - VIA Nina Kraviz

Take Me To Dubai - (Single?)

anyone have any other thoughts/hopes?

SOPHIE’s siblings Ben and Emily Long for The New York Times

Think this is the first time I’ve ever seen an image of her sister…

22sophie-hkzf-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg?quali

Kim Petras and BC Kingdom interviewed and photographed for The New York Times

22sophie-mbgj-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg?quali

Completing the album became a family project for Benny and his sister Emily Long. She studied music law to work with Sophie, and she passed the bar exam two weeks before her sibling’s death. Once Benny resolved to finish Sophie’s album, Emily joined him in making decisions. “Every single day we talk about Sophie and what she loved and the things that would make her happy,” Emily said via a video call from Los Angeles. “We all know why we’re here. We’re all here for her.”

:poordat: