Sign in to follow this  
LadyLazarus

Lana and true love

I don't know if a thread like this has been opened before but I am really interested in Lana's outlook on love. Judging from her lyrics, it seems like she has found "the one", a person that you could potentially describe as her soulmate but it somehow didn't work out. I remember this one interview very vividly where she claimed to "always sing about the same goddamn person so she'll love him forever". I am wondering how she deals with this feeling of having lost her true love and I am interested in finding more of these kind of excerpts . Maybe we could collect them here?

in my opinion:

I think Born To Die was her losing what she thought to be her "soulmate/true love" and her struggling to move on/find a light at the end of the tunnel. (Dark Paradise, Without You, Summertime Sadness)

Ultraviolence is a mix of her finding a new love (although not as intense as the one she experienced on BTD) and then losing that love too, but this time she doesn't seem to dwell on it as much as she did on BTD. (Brooklyn Baby, Cruel World, Black Beauty, Is This Happiness, Flipside)

Then I see Honeymoon as her experiencing a different kind of love where she's just obsessed with and fascinated by this person/interested in just having fun with them rather than actually being in love with them. (Religion, Freak, MTWBT)

It's a nice development really bc with each album she becomes more in control of her affections and less vulnerable to heartbreak

RVhKIwP.gif