Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

257 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

I wrote a long bit about why I love Lust for Life and why it's (mostly unfairly but also understandably) relegated to the side but realised it's all been said before. So anyway here's my current track rating. Subject to change .... probably within the time span of about 2 days, except my 1-3 spots which will never change as they are elite :silly:

1. Heroin 
  2. 13 Beaches 
  3. Get Free 
  4. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing
  5. Love
  6. Cherry
  7. White Mustang 
  8. In My Feelings 
  9. God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It 
  10. Change (elite trio of Heroin - Change - Get Free, but it's the weakest of the three) 
  11. Summer Bummer (love Lana's parts enough to make up for the fact that I don't like the rest) 
  12. Tomorrow Never Came
  13. Lust For Life 
  14. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems
  15. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind 
  16. Groupie Love (not a fan) 

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

On 10/3/2023 at 1:15 PM, lanaismamom said:

ah lust for life is such complicated song… so many time i tried to understand what was that that i can’t enjoy this song and then recently i listened to an instrumental alone and it just blew my mind:defeated: it felt like i was listening to absolutely new lana song, the instrumental is phenomenon and i finally could see that hard work made on this song (323 mixes) and turned out it’s a real gorgeous and dark piece of art, but i think it’s the way how vocal track is just full of light and it’s such a beautiful idea how much this song had gone through to became what it became, and seeing lana talking about the song saying it was kind of complicated and she couldn’t find the right direction for the track all the time so seeing this specific version of the song being released is really special and i can see why this specific version was released eventually and lana found a peace with this song in this version

but unfortunately the difference between instrumental and vocals is what taking away half of my enjoyment :( and also i absolutely dislike weeknd on the track 

It really wasn't till this year that I gave title track a real chance. It truly is such a beautiful song and the instrumentation is honestly a work of art. I never really saw the potential in it purely cause of the conventional pop structure and The Weeknd's feature. Its easy to overlook the intensity and the meaning of the song just for those two reasons alone. Honestly its obvious majority of the hate comes from The Weeknd's feature, his voice is very cloying so it's understandable. I think more people would have come around to the song had it been solo. Also the fact that its a title track puts an immense pressure on it. When you compare it to the original take of the song, the final seems shallow. The raw and ethereal vibe of the original definitely took the entire song to another level with a richer complexion. It was an actual title track.

Its hard to keep both concepts in one song. I can see why she had to choose between one or the other. The first iteration was honest but also very sad. I think she wanted to see a change in herself and wanted to reflect that in the song. I feel like I can relate to that sentiment

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

5 hours ago, boom like that said:

It really wasn't till this year that I gave title track a real chance. It truly is such a beautiful song and the instrumentation is honestly a work of art. I never really saw the potential in it purely cause of the conventional pop structure and The Weeknd's feature. Its easy to overlook the intensity and the meaning of the song just for those two reasons alone. Honestly its obvious majority of the hate comes from The Weeknd's feature, his voice is very cloying so it's understandable. I think more people would have come around to the song had it been solo. Also the fact that its a title track puts an immense pressure on it. When you compare it to the original take of the song, the final seems shallow. The raw and ethereal vibe of the original definitely took the entire song to another level with a richer complexion. It was an actual title track.

Its hard to keep both concepts in one song. I can see why she had to choose between one or the other. The first iteration was honest but also very sad. I think she wanted to see a change in herself and wanted to reflect that in the song. I feel like I can relate to that sentiment

exactly… cuz exactly:true: the whole album got a complete turn at one point and comparing songs like lust for life and beautiful people to their original versions just makes it instantly clear there are also iterations for the album itself, and for the one that was released, final lust for life song was the natural choice, so i even love listening it from the perspective of how much she changed and how much she expressed it even on tracks that were initial depressing, and even tho the instrumental of final lfl is dark and dramatic she made it a lighter track with her voice, the whole list for life concept full circle:trisha:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

Recently I feel myself gravitating back to this album more and more after I kinda paid dust to it in the last year(s). It was such an amazing time witnessing the LFL era in 2017 and the album came at the right time for me before everything really went downhill a year later..anyways LFL still was very important to me during that time and especially Get Free became incredible important to me. Change also was a song that always and still is important to me and very close to my heart. I am not sure what happened that I paid the album dust, especially in the past year. I think last year I wanted to feel happy again and fell in love with life so bad that I kinda wanted to force it and deep down I knew that something was off and that I wasn't happy, that I felt stuck but however I came to terms with that and dealt with it etc. and I can say that I feel so much more at peace now and so much better and it feels much more natural. My point is that I am at similiar point as I was in 2017  mentally, even a bit better and more mature and now that I don't force things it is funny to me that LFL naturally becomes more important to me again. It motivates me to change in positive ways and reminds me were to head to, what my lust for life is but that it's sometimes enough to remind yourself that it is enough to be who you are. And I agree with the person that said that the more "political songs" are generous enough that they still are kinda relatable. I know that I focused on the more lighthearted side but LFL is such a multifaceted album, the way life is when you think about that and that there is so so so much more to the album than I've said but that's also an aspect that I love as well about Lust For Life. The album really is complex in some way when you think about and I can understand both sides, that one doesn't like the album much or that it can be one's fave but imo LFL doesn't deserve the hate it got and I think in some way it's one of Lanas most overlooked albums.

Heroin-Change-Get Free is still her best closing trio to me with her best closer (along with Hope) and that track run definetly has a special place in my heart:flutter:

Anyways I hope this all makes sense somehow, just had alot of thoughts in my mind:$

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

1 minute ago, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

This album gotta be the most Enya Lana’s music been… 

Agreed. This and Honeymoon!

url%5D

makes me really think how many songs from nfr actually started (or maybe has a recorded version with different producer) during list for life sessions:oprah7: i think the best bet is hope is a dangerous thing (that is not really likely) or maybe mariners apartment complex or bartender actually, we all believe it was done in 2017 post lfl times but did we really get any confirmation, also rick credits in happiness is a butterfly are also weird, those 4 songs are potentially from that time 

so if making a list,

hope is a dangerous thing 

love song

bartender

happiness is a butterfly 

venice bitch

mariners apartment complex

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

On 4/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, triangles19 said:

GUYS
look what I found in my Vinyl store, isn't that a bit confusing ?

R-695178-1445641065-2374.jpeg.jpg

R-7885286-1490519797-6885.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Brian-Auger-Brian-Auger/release/695178

It's so funny seeing everyone losing their shit over Lana 'ripping off' this album cover when she would go on to heavily draw from vintage covers for NFR, BB and Ocean :rip: Some even more so directly than this one

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

On 4/15/2024 at 10:41 PM, Cherry Blossom said:

It's so funny seeing everyone losing their shit over Lana 'ripping off' this album cover when she would go on to heavily draw from vintage covers for NFR, BB and Ocean :rip: Some even more so directly than this one

I was not loosing my s*it and I don't blame her and her graphic designers to use vintage graphics as inspiration. Calm the stan down

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

3 hours ago, triangles19 said:

I was not loosing my s*it and I don't blame her and her graphic designers to use vintage graphics as inspiration. Calm the stan down

? I was not referring to your post, I just quoted it as you were the one who posted the graphics. However, in response to your original post lots of fans in 2018 were upset over taking inspiration from this cover. I apologise for the misunderstanding, I was not attacking your post or you :creep:

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif