Sign in to follow this  
urbannoize

Why Ultraviolence and Born To Die are career defining important albums.

In my opinion Ultraviolence is Lana's magnum opus in terms of how strong and refined her songwriting and singing had become up until that point. But Born To Die was and still is just as impressive and important. Both display strengths and qualities about Lana that makes her a remarkable artist. With Ultraviolence showing a laser focused, more brooding rock oriented and condensed persona. 

While Born To Die on was more expansive, cinematic, nuanced and adventurous. Solidifying the hollywood sadcore, americana alternative sound we've come to know and love from her. The merging of Hip hop, trip hop, alternative, baroque and indie pop brilliantly with the literature of Walt Whitman and Vladimir Nabokov through hypnotic, psychedelic, melancholy melodies. 

BtD is iconic. It established her as an artist, although the BtD-Lana is actually extremely different from anything she's ever done afterwards. The visuals, the persona, the whole era's vibe ... everything was so on point. She also kind of introuced a new "era" of retro-fashion and trailblazed a path for alternative pop artists. UV was spectacular because it was such a big shift considering persona, sound and visuals.

Honeymoon and Lust For Life are good albums and less controversial. However, they are not as "big" as her first two records and profit a lot from the quality established by the first projects. If it would not have been for BtD and UV, those two albums would not have worked they way they do.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

BtD is iconic. It established her as an artist, although the BtD-Lana is actually extremely different from anything she's ever done afterwards. The visuals, the persona, the whole era's vibe ... everything was so on point. She also kind of introuced a new "era" of retro-fashion and trailblazed a path for alternative pop artists. UV was spectacular because it was such a big shift considering persona, sound and visuals.

Honeymoon and Lust For Life are good albums and less controversial. However, they are not as "big" as her first two records and profit a lot from the quality established by the first projects. If it would not have been for BtD and UV, those two albums would not have worked they way they do.

Couldn't agree with you more. Born To Die is the career defining album that set the tone for everything else. With Ultraviolence being the shift and display of how great of a songwriter and singer she had become.

:agree:

I don't feel much 'connection' to HM and LFL, like I do with BTD and UV.

Yea BTD and UV were career defining moments for Lana. Despite the fact that i enjoy HM and LFL

as much as i adore Honeymoon being my fav album, u hit it spot. on. that. gotdamn. nose. biiittchh. 

tenor.gif

While I personally see Honeymoon as her magnum opus, it was not career defining as it just wasnt memorable enough like BTD/PD and UV were. So yes, I totally agree with everything else you said!

Yea Honeymoon really was great. And i appreciated it as much as BTD and UV. But UV and BTD made their marks. I need to get on appreciating Paradise a lot more