Sign in to follow this  
salvatore

Billboard 2017 - Cover & Full Transcript of Interview

do yall know if we can buy this magazine issue??

I am DYING to get my hands on some physical copies of those pictures.

The one of her in the white dress and the sun beaming IS GORGEOUS. :defeated:

It’s for sale on the Billboard website. You just have to choose the Lana cover. There are 4 covers available. I have one on order already.

I thought I replied on this thread- guess that it didn't go through when site was down

very quickly-

I love the remark about "singles" and her using the words AIR QUOTES in the interview meaning official video, but not going for singles airplay

That is so Lana and so true to her goal (which is to make 100% of every song on every album a must listen to)

BTW- Coachella is the best song of the year,

and soon I am going to start my own thread about Elizabeth/Lana 2016-17 and why I realize some here were scared and can't handle the 

effect of Coachella.

But that is for another thread/another day/ another time.

And for the first time will actually attempt to rank all the songs in order, something I do not like to do.

I also gotta figure out how to do that without having the board conk out in the middle of a long post and then having to recreate the entire thing

while like Lana, my mind is already on something else.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I thought I replied on this thread- guess that it didn't go through when site was down

very quickly-

I love the remark about "singles" and her using the words AIR QUOTES in the interview meaning official video, but not going for singles airplay

That is so Lana and so true to her goal (which is to make 100% of every song on every album a must listen to)

BTW- Coachella is the best song of the year,

and soon I am going to start my own thread about Elizabeth/Lana 2016-17 and why I realize some here were scared and can't handle the 

effect of Coachella.

But that is for another thread/another day/ another time.

And for the first time will actually attempt to rank all the songs in order, something I do not like to do.

I also gotta figure out how to do that without having the board conk out in the middle of a long post and then having to recreate the entire thing

while like Lana, my mind is already on something else.

Your devotion to Coachella is so pure

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

I sometimes heard it as, you know, you get dressed up and you don’t have anywhere to go, and you maybe made these plans that didn’t turn out.

All dressed up and nowhere to go. Which is funny, because when I was 20 and writing little folk songs, I had a lot of that line, “All dressed up with nowhere to go.” But sometimes my lines end up slipping on themselves, and I feel differently about them once I’ve got some perspective on them. But I think I was thinking… you know, you don’t need hundreds of friends to have something fun to do, you know? You can have fun by yourself. It was more about just feeling a lot of love whether you’re alone, or you’re with someone. You don’t have to have a party to go to.

I always imagined that line as someone going out with their boy- or girlfriend to nowhere special at all, it’s just nice and fun to look nice for each other and just have each other’s company. Not doing anything extraordinary at all, just hanging out. I never thought the line as in doing those things for yourself, which I do! I like to dress up and just go somewhere around my uni town, listen to music or just watch people. Doing it for myself as a change from studying and feeling like I have no friends. Which I don’t have. But whatever. Those are some of my happy times in my uni town honestly.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

This might be reading into this too much - but in a few of her interviews for LFL (this, Complex, etc.) - she seems to be talking about testing the waters in terms of being "out there" more. She talks a lot about needing time to be in herself a little (UV, HM) and my interpretation of all this was after the backlash of SNL, negative responses of BTD (which makes me laugh still it likely remains her most popular work outside of a few songs on the other albums) - she sort of wasn't sure about all this (fame, her style, etc.)

I get the impression that as the public has come around (Grammy noms, remixes, big movie numbers, #1/#2 albums on Billboard) she is now more comfortable with it all hence using artists like Weeknd, ASAP, etc (if you remember in her Complex interview, she said she wouldn't have known what to do with a big radio song and that Abel was so big and "out there").

I'm not sure where she will go from here, but it feels like with her "crossing the threshold" that maybe she will try some "bigger music" (some maybe more radio friendly songs - though I doubt she'll ever do a completely radio-friendly album , maybe a song or two). I could be wrong. But she's talking about the same themes over and over again in interviews - and getting involved in "bigger" projects like Gucci, being nominated for Grammy again, etc.

Thoughts?

She (Elizabeth) is now happy personally content..(inner peace, inner contentment) 

She (Elizabeth) Albeit the world/politically now engaged to battle Trump and male abuse

She is now happy that she is off the treadmill of going for what others want, and is doing 100% of everything her way and with her (she is the General so to say, those that follow are her troops)

before, she achieved, but as she kept repeating, she was sad, crying, unhappy because the start was not on her own 100% terms (She had to play the game)

She has broken free of that by giving all that up (money, fame, jewels)

As have said, I believe the Billboard Women of the year Trailblazer award gave her/showed her she belongs as vital and as much as anyone else in the room that year, this year any year.

being the abused beaten film noir female that was never portrayed in the millions of movies as more than the secondary figure, which she brought to the starring role has gone far in

helping to change not only music, but society as a whole.

Most roll their eyes when I have said this but-  She is doing what no female has done in the past, which is playing by the rules only a select few males have done before.

And basically, no female in the rock and roll era (and as she writes the lyrics/and knows the music/story/scope and now produces, something so many females did not (or were not allowed to do)

(Including Janis Joplin whose most famous song was written by Kristofferson)

If one goes back to older posts one sees-

Born to Die  the ache the boredom the attempt to please

Paradise  the yearning for more, there is more out there, the freedom the road trip

Ultraviolence  having arrived, the horror, the horror in the land of Gods and Monsters her eyes awoke

Honeymoon  the internal battle for the soul of EG between Lana and EG

Lust for Life part A   the battle over EG Won life was finally at peace

Lust for Life part B   the battle won, the war in the world begins but instead of running, now, both feet firmly planted in staying and fighting and winning

(and basically, Lana telling Bruce no baby, tramps like us are not meant to be born to run, or born to die

but to stay and fight and have that Lust for Life and be born to live (as Ray Charles sang)

as Leonard Cohen indeed sang about in "Anthem" (and Lana mentioned in the BB article, where she is one of 4 BEST ARTISTS OF 2017- (note-Billboard's end of year covers have always

gone to the person who is not necessarily having the #1 song of the year, or album of the year).

She is the light in the cracks that let the sun shine through giving (as Barack Obama (who I always picture in the song American) says HOPE in the battle now not of the soul of one person,

but against trump & the republican party.

(ah shit, he almost made it though a long post without mentioning Leonard Cohen some of you might say...

interesting not everyone here automatically rolls your eyes at the mention of Leonard Cohen. Some now actually see it.)

BTW-I would love to hear Lana sing Leonard's "Anthem".

BTW2- I would love to hear Bruce/and his full E Street band do Lana's "Change"

remember it took Harry Chapin to get Bruce to do charity and be more aware politically.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

in the Billboard article; when Lana says

"With this one, I was thinking about things broader than just my relationships, which was nice for me, and probably nice for my fans, too — a bit of a reprieve." 

I felt as if it means she was taking a step to try something new, a reprieve

but she will step back into the introspective/darker intimate songs that we all got hooked and fell in love with.. opinions?

in the Billboard article; when Lana says

"With this one, I was thinking about things broader than just my relationships, which was nice for me, and probably nice for my fans, too — a bit of a reprieve." 

I felt as if it means she was taking a step to try something new, a reprieve

but she will step back into the introspective/darker intimate songs that we all got hooked and fell in love with.. opinions?

she better :hottie: 

Ben Mawson (manager): Most important to Lana is that her albums are a cohesive body of work. Her writing process is very natural, without directly thinking about radio or singles.

Anger translator: Why don't this bitch make me hits like Dua Lipa?

HeI8A1C.jpg

From left: Interscope Geffen A&M senior vp A&R John Ehmann, Janick, Del Rey, Interscope Geffen A&M vice chairman Steve Berman and Mawson photographed on Dec. 2, 2017 at Malibu Canyon Ranch in Calabasas, Calif.)

I have to rest my hand on this table to balance myself because I drink a lot.

Anger translator: Why don't this bitch make me hits like Dua Lipa?

she's given y'all LfL, Cherry, n SB & they were all magical songs waiting to be hits especially LfL & SB wdym :defeated: