kitschesque

Barrie and Lana through their songs

I definitely think California is about Barrie! 

The lyrics imply a deep emotional connection, she knows about his personal problems and accepts them, offering a welcoming place to work through them via their relationship (Verse 1, "You don't ever have to..")

Seemingly, they lost contact for a while after their breakup as it seemed messy and Lana became aware of his increasing struggles via mutual friends, but didn't reach out to help because their relationship didn't end well and she didn't want to impose or exacerbate his issues by reappearing in his life. So instead via the song as a whole she offers him to come back and be together and they can pick up where they left off, putting their prior issues aside. 

It makes total sense for this song to be an extended offer to Barrie to rekindle their relationship and for him to come back to California to see if it works out. I'm interested to see if Barries puts out an "answer" of sorts to California in a song of his.

Great topic! I love your interpretation from the core of my heart!

Also this may be off topic but I always interpreted Honeymooon lyrics as an exaggeration, as you said, and her relationship with Francesco

And I ALSO think the title Norman Fucking Rockwell references not only him (remember "You think you're Hunter S. Thompson"), but its a "personification" of all the trashy men she met and the american "ideal man" itself

I think Lana del rey and Barrie James ONeil belong together!!!.

Songs Lana wrote for him I think are

Honeymoon

Terrence still Loves you

Blackest day 

Basically the entire Honeymoon album.

California on NFR?

woow i love this analysis soo much. this makes so much sense with wildflower wildfire, i find it hard to believe she is still writing about barrie, but she could be carrying on with the metaphor even if she isn't actually writing about barrie - 

Baby I, I, I, I've been runnin' on stardust
Alone for so long
I wouldn't know what hot fire was
Hot fire, hot weather, hot coffee, I'm better with you
It's strange, but it's true, darling

Not to turn into a wildfire
To light up your night
With only my smile and nothing that burns
Baby, I'll be like a wildflower
I live on sheer willpower
I'll do my best never to turn into something
That burns, burns, burns
Like the others baby, burns, burns, burns

and also with the metaphor of star drip, since stars are tiny little suns this could represent tiny bursts of happiness or inauthentic happiness -

Later than hospitals and still on my feet
Comfortably numb but with lithium came poetry
And baby I, I've been running on star drip
IV's for so long
I wouldn't know how cruel the world was

the last lines could be about the lessons she learned with barrie, about allowing both moon and sun energies simultaneously -

It's you from whom I learn, learn, learn

39 minutes ago, laurendelrey said:

woow i love this analysis soo much. this makes so much sense with wildflower wildfire, i find it hard to believe she is still writing about barrie, but she could be carrying on with the metaphor even if she isn't actually writing about barrie - 

Baby I, I, I, I've been runnin' on stardust
Alone for so long
I wouldn't know what hot fire was
Hot fire, hot weather, hot coffee, I'm better with you
It's strange, but it's true, darling

Not to turn into a wildfire
To light up your night
With only my smile and nothing that burns
Baby, I'll be like a wildflower
I live on sheer willpower
I'll do my best never to turn into something
That burns, burns, burns
Like the others baby, burns, burns, burns

and also with the metaphor of star drip, since stars are tiny little suns this could represent tiny bursts of happiness or inauthentic happiness -

Later than hospitals and still on my feet
Comfortably numb but with lithium came poetry
And baby I, I've been running on star drip
IV's for so long
I wouldn't know how cruel the world was

the last lines could be about the lessons she learned with barrie, about allowing both moon and sun energies simultaneously -

Wildflower is about her relationship with her mother and the issues she had to face because of it

url%5D

5 hours ago, Embach said:

Wildflower is about her relationship with her mother and the issues she had to face because of it

yes, i think she might continue to use the same metaphors about different topics, not just about barrie <3

this seems really crazy because it was such a long time ago that she was with barrie, but with blue banisters, could painting her banisters blue represent her waiting for barrie, or maybe it could represent her waiting for that kind of love/energy to come into her life again?