Sign in to follow this  
lernerderrey

Mothers

so I really love this band! I was into the first few releases, but their latest album from 2018 really holds a special place in my heart. the album is called Render Another Ugly Method.

it took me a while to fully get into every song, but i love each song so much now. I went and saw them tour the album, got the vinyl and got it signed and kristine(the song writer) even wrote out my favorite line from the album. it was a magical experience.

the band describes the album on their bandcamp(https://mothers.bandcamp.com/album/render-another-ugly-method): 

Render Another Ugly Method is an assemblage of personal vignettes and imagined scenarios that examines consent, escape of the body, power and powerlessness, and the act of making. Render sees the remnants of Leschper and Anderegg, Chris Goggans and Drew Kirby in musical conversation, through cut-up songs that were torn apart and rebuilt over and over again. Sonically, the record is compartmentalized, each song existing in an environment of its own with disjointed linear fragments that feel as if they hang onto one another by a thread.

i really feel like the album is so cohesive in it's disjointed nature. i started listening to it a lot during the pandemic(which is why i am posting it rn). i am an "essential" worker at a university and i put it on every morning as i open the building. i feel like this album puts me into a trance and keeps me moving even though the movement may be a trudge. lol

anyhow, the percussion is whack and for some reason it reminds me of born to die's drums a bit, tho a bit scarier. i hope someone on here can find enjoyment in mothers! xoxo

edit: i also love the visuals for this album. the yellow and the concrete, the yellow being the joyful free soul, the concrete being the heavy body weighing down the soul

second edit: their song Pink is a bop and it's music video feels like something outta twin peaks

six months and are you still afraid of my want

sun hot on my eyelids

i’m flinching but you pretend not to notice

i am reading sam pink in your bed

he says “living another 50 years seems impossible”

your eyes roll back

and i think of babies born first scream into infinity

and i am tired

heavy with sweat when i pull you out of your sweater

flinching with the awareness of a newborn

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

1 minute ago, PARADIXO said:

When You Walk a Long Distance You Are Tired is one of my favorite albums of all time :gclap: Taste

i really love it. for some reason it never resonates as an album to me. it's always felt like an EP or something. WYWALDYAT feels like a start.

Render really goes somewhere else! it's very different but it is so full and cohesive. 

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

8 minutes ago, lernerderrey said:

i really love it. for some reason it never resonates as an album to me. it's always felt like an EP or something. WYWALDYAT feels like a start.

Render really goes somewhere else! it's very different but it is so full and cohesive. 

Sadly I never got into Render :defeated: But When You Walk... is so amazing for me they're still in my mind after 6 years or so. Can't wait for a new album (if there'll be one)!

Just now, PARADIXO said:

Sadly I never got into Render :defeated: But When You Walk... is so amazing for me they're still in my mind after 6 years or so. Can't wait for a new album (if there'll be one)!

kristine has posted snippets of home recordings of new stuff in insta stories. one was fully of flutes!!! it was amazing and i hope they do something big with their next work!

i hope u give Render a second try! there are some amazing lyrics and polyrhythms scattered through out!! maybe read the lyrics while listening through? it took me a while to realize what she was saying and when i saw the full picture, i couldnt believe it was so grand! it has a few tracks that are similar to when u walk, plz give it another go :)

3 minutes ago, lernerderrey said:

kristine has posted snippets of home recordings of new stuff in insta stories. one was fully of flutes!!! it was amazing and i hope they do something big with their next work!

i hope u give Render a second try! there are some amazing lyrics and polyrhythms scattered through out!! maybe read the lyrics while listening through? it took me a while to realize what she was saying and when i saw the full picture, i couldnt believe it was so grand! it has a few tracks that are similar to when u walk, plz give it another go :)

I will :kiss3:

Wow! Used to be so into, and still dearly love, When You Walk A Long Distance..., but haven’t revisited them since. Will do, thanks for the sign :wub: