Vintage

Sirens vs. Lana Del Ray a.k.a. Lizzy Grant

Sirens vs. Lana Del Rey a.k.a. Lizzy Grant  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which unreleased album is better?

• Sirens
    • Lana Del Rey a.k.a. Lizzy Grant

sirens was just...  no. i still listen to it and im never deleting off my itunes but come on... the album's not her

Sirens is probably the most "her" out of everything she's ever done, except maybe the a cappella laptop demos. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Sirens is probably the most "her" out of everything she's ever done, except maybe the a cappella laptop demos. 

after reading the whole thingy about the songs about her relationships etc and actually listening to the words of the album.. i see what you mean.

tumblr_mfdm68imF11rr0s0uo1_500.png

after reading the whole thingy about the songs about her relationships etc and actually listening to the words of the album.. i see what you mean.

Lanalysis? I haven't even read that  :P  It's a lot simpler than that--what i meant was that everything else she's done (all the unreleased produced tracks, AKA, BTD, Paradise) carries the influence of other writers and producers, so what we're hearing has undoubtedly been, to a certain extent, filtered through and shaped by other people--it is the result of a collaboration. Sirens is simply her with an acoustic guitar, no production and, presumably, no co-writers, written and recorded at a time when she was creating with significantly less eyes and expectations on her; she, for all intents and purposes, didn't really have an audience, so it's more akin to creating in a vacuum. The a cappella demos, i would say, fit this description even more so because it's her at home on her computer, using nothing but her voice, being not only responsible for every single note of music and the way it's arranged, but also entirely dictating the direction of the recording, consulting no one, absent of anyone else's input (okay, maybe she asked Mike, "Hey, what do you think of this? :D ) and recording it not with the intention of showcasing it publicly. 

Lyrically, i don't see why any one project would be any more or less her than any of her other projects. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Lanalysis? I haven't even read that  :P 

you NEEEED to. 

It's a lot simpler than that--what i meant was that everything else she's done (all the unreleased produced tracks, AKA, BTD, Paradise) carries the influence of other writers and producers, so what we're hearing has undoubtedly been, to a certain extent, filtered through and shaped by other people--it is the result of a collaboration. Sirens is simply her with an acoustic guitar, no production and, presumably, no co-writers, written and recorded at a time when she was creating with significantly less eyes and expectations on her; she, for all intents and purposes, didn't really have an audience, so it's more akin to creating in a vacuum. The a cappella demos, i would say, fit this description even more so because it's her at home on her computer, using nothing but her voice, being not only responsible for every single note of music and the way it's arranged, but also entirely dictating the direction of the recording, consulting no one, absent of anyone else's input (okay, maybe she asked Mike, "Hey, what do you think of this? :D ) and recording it not with the intention of showcasing it publicly. 

Lyrically, i don't see why any one project would be any more or less her than any of her other projects. 

anywho, yeah i see what you mean. sorry if i came off a tad bit ignorant and such :P props to you taking the time to actually write this and not seem rude or like wtf you don't no shit-ish.

xo

tumblr_mfdm68imF11rr0s0uo1_500.png

I've never heard LDR say anything specific about Sirens. The closest I remember (don't have a source) was her referring to some material she brought to a bunch of labels, who then told her "it would never sell". Are there any good interviews with her specifically talking about Sirens?

I voted AKA was better, but Sirens still made me love LDR's songwriting more, even after buying BTD and becoming familiar with AKA. I wish she'd release Sirens as is. If she's unsure of the quality, she could sell it digitally for a low price. I'm sure it would sell.