Sign in to follow this  
Rorman Nockwell

"Lola" by the Kinks: Transphobic or nah?

Particularly interested to hear the opinions of trans folk, but all opinions are welcome

For those who aren't familiar with the song, it was written in 1970 and the lyrics are:

I met her in a club down in old Soho
Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like coca cola
C-O-L-A, Cola

She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola
L-O-L-A, Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Well, I'm not the world's most physical guy
But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine
Oh my Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walked like a woman but talked like a man
Oh my Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Well, we drank champagne and danced all night
Under electric candlelight
She picked me up and sat me on her knee
And said "Dear boy, won't you come home with me?"

Well, I'm not the world's most passionate guy
But when I looked in her eyes, well I almost fell for my Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

I pushed her away
I walked to the door
I fell to the floor
I got down on my knees
Then I looked at her and she at me

Well, that's the way that I want it to stay
And I always want it to be that way for my Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world, except for Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Well, I left home just a week before
And I'd never ever kissed a woman before
But Lola smiled and took me by the hand
And said "Dear boy, I'm gonna make you a man"

Well, I'm not the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
La-la-la-la Lola

The mv (it's comic book style, with added comments not in the lyrics)

My opinion (and I'm happy to be corrected/argued with) is that it contains some problematic language but is overall a progressive take (especially in the context of the 1970s). Lola is either a trans woman or a cross dresser, and nowhere in the song is she misgendered (except maybe right at the end ... which I'll get to).

Lyrics like "but talks to like a man" and "I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola" are questionable. The latter could mean that Lola is glad to be a man, though? Maybe Lola is gender fluid? There's a lot of purposeful ambiguity.

I think my favourite lyric is "it's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world, except for Lola"

Please post your opinions and thoughts!

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

i think they're a bit too ambiguous to say exactly what they mean, but i don't really get a transphobic vibe from them, it doesn't seem like they're necessarily judging her

regardless, we can't expect a song from the 1970s to be as politically progressive as a song from today usually will be, i don't think it's wrong to listen to songs that might have an outdated message/viewpoint, but it's best we're aware of it and recognize that it might not be kind or correct

WGe8ynS.gif

30 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

regardless, we can't expect a song from the 1970s to be as politically progressive as a song from today usually will be, i don't think it's wrong to listen to songs that might have an outdated message/viewpoint, but it's best we're aware of it and recognize that it might not be kind or correct

Yeah I agree - I mean I like the song and I listen to it from time to time (and I gave my opinion of it above) but I just wonder how others perceive it

Listening to a song doesn't necessarily mean that you agree with the meaning or even that you like the artist as a person, in some cases

I guess I was considering it from the point of view of if it were released today, how would it stand up

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I am not trans but the song is super unapologetically queer and is ahead of its time. Queer anthem but people don’t pay attention to the lyrics. Same with YMCA by Village People!

1 hour ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world, except for Lola

This lyric, to me, affirms that the singer (Ray Davies) can see that Lola is a confident human who appears to be the only one in the world who has a grasp on their life, considering the world around them. And I think he sees her confidence as something to behold. Things were hectic and topsy-turvy in the late 60s early 70s but it was also around the time that counterculture, queer rights, and women’s rights had finally come to a head so I think he’s just trying to place Lola as someone who knows what they are (a cross-dresser or trans woman) amidst a rapidly-changing society

Obviously there are parts of the song where the specific words he uses may be disrespectful nowadays. But it is one of the greatest songs of all time! 

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

I think this is one of those situations where intention is really important. At the time, I don't think it was made to offend someone - other than those who were so anti-gay and anti-LGBTQ+ in general. It was edited for the radio and some radio stations banned it, both because of the Coca Cola name being used but also subject matter. Some stations thought it wasn't "radio friendly" enough because of what he was singing about. It's iconic for a reason. Ray talked about it, saying, "It really doesn't matter what sex Lola is, I think she's alright". I think it's just a representation of the youth of that time, being more open-minded. (This also scares me because most people my age now are pretty open minded about LGBTQ+ plus, but looking at how the older generations have flipped their opinions, it worries me that my generation will do the same.) Also, it's ironic, considering the name of the band, but that isn't offensive lmao I'm not trans or dress in drag, but I do think it's an important topic that's already had and will always be had surrounding this song.

Either way it's an important, classic song and i'm pretty sure it's my bf's favorite song from The Kinks. Probably my favorite too, next to Yes Sir No Sir from the album before Lola, Arthur

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole