Sign in to follow this  
Make me your Dream Life

The Sci Fi/ Fantasy Thread

I perused all 9 pages of this forum sub section and didn't see anything but. 

Real quick, way off, but I think what started this fascination of other worlds from me was watching Hugh Jackman's The Fountain movie. Not really sci-fi, or at least, the traditional(?) kind, but it kinda just got me looking into more of the unusual kinds of media. Something so different, yet still paralleled our world in the ways of systems, it's beings and their mapping of the universe. 

I've been getting into Star Wars a lot easier, watching it w family, as well as Dune ofc. 3 Body Problem on netflix was terrific btw. 
Madame Web made me laugh, it feels like it belongs on the Syfy network aha

What are some great recommendations that you might have regarding this genre? 

Fantasy as well too. 

Discuss. 

UV/Honeymoon

I love sci-fi although I think I have still so many films/TV shows left to watch. My favourite TV shows are The 100 and Lost in Space. Off the top of my head, Another Life is also cool. If I stumble upon other shows I'll definitely come and share!

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

10 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

I love sci-fi although I think I have still so many films/TV shows left to watch. My favourite TV shows are The 100 and Lost in Space. Off the top of my head, Another Life is also cool. If I stumble upon other shows I'll definitely come and share!

Have you watched Foundation on Apple? It's soooo good 

UV/Honeymoon

1 minute ago, Make me your Dream Life said:

Have you watched Foundation on Apple? It's soooo good 

No I haven't! I'll add it to my to-watch list <3

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

Ohhh I'm one of the biggest fantasy and science fiction geeks :smile3:

I got into fantasty as a child really. My parents would read to me every night (I was so lucky!) and they actually read the entire LOTR (Lord of the Rings) series to me. Dedication. Anyway, I become OBSESSED with it and when I was about 10 or so I read the whole thing myself, from The Hobbit, LOTR, The Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin and all the other spin-offs. Since then I have probably read the series about 10-15 times :silly:

That spurred me into looking for other great fantasy novels but I'll be honest, nothing else every really filled the void. LOTR is all-consuming pretty much. I read a lot of others along the way though. 

The only other two things that came close for me was The Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin. Again, I read it as a child, but it's a book that can be equally enjoyed by children and adults. It's excellent. Probably (almost definitely) part of the inspiration for Harry Potter and the wizarding school. Then the His Dark Materials trilogy, which has one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read (and also inspired HP...). ASOIAF is also up there but since it's not finished ... 

I haven't read as much science fiction but have ofc read all the classics; Frankenstein, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Brave New World, Dune, etc. 

My favourite so far is probably Ursula K. Le Guin because she combines SF with politics and philosophy. The Hainish Cycle is unbelievably good. There's a reason she was the first woman to win both the Hugo and Nebula awards. She WAS American science fiction, an incredible woman.  

In terms of TV shows, I haven't seen as many but loved Star Trek, Star Wars (the animated Clone Wars one), GOT, HoTD, DW/Doctor Who (part of it anyway), Lost, The Last of Us, His Dark Materials ... used to watch Merlin and Supernatural back in the day as a teen too ... 

In terms of movies there's too many to count but obviously the big uns: LOTR, HP, Dune, Star Wars, BLADE RUNNER (original is a TOP 10 movie for me), Matrix, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Inception, Alien ... Japanese anime is a big recommendation if you haven't seen any; Paprika was the inspo for Inception, for example, and I'm sure many other films have been influenced by anime. 

I need to check out some really old school classics like Metropolis (1927), 2001 A Space Oddessy, Solaris, The Iron Giant, etc.  

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

I'm doing a type design master degree and I chose for my final project to make a typeface that I called Dargon, based on the concept of fantasy in general. With a trading card games like Magic the Gathering application. It's funny cause I just changed my signature to it before seeing your thread :D I am always torn between my love of cyberpunk aesthetics and fantasy, but I think ultimately fantasy wins, I just mf love dragons so much. I love everything about fantasy and Baldur's Gate 3 and the Witcher are my favourite universes, but Cyberpunk 2077 is my favourite game. I like sci fi bc it's basically fantasy in space in my mind haha

4tdWYMA.png

Posted (edited)

I cant even begin to cover all the amazing sci-fi films or shows you should watch. 

Here is a few favorite films of mine within the genre:

Stalker - Andrei Tarkovsky (1979)

Danger! High-radiation arthouse! | World cinema | The Guardian

Blade Runner 2049 - Denis Villeneuve (2017)

Blade Runner : 2049 | Rodeo FX

Life - Daniel Espinosa (2017)

Life Movie Ending Explained: Writers Explain Surprise Twist (Spoilers) -  Thrillist

Prometheus -  Ridley Scott (2012)

Prometheus (@PrometheusMovie) | Twitter | Prometheus movie, Hd wallpaper, Film  prometheus

Ex Machina - Alex Garland (2014)

Here's How the Incredible VFX in 'Ex Machina' Came Together

Edited by Semafori
deleted sentence before posting on accident