Sign in to follow this  
YourGirl666

Times when scrapping a song was the right choice

17 hours ago, meIanchoIia said:

I'm glad she scrapped Fine China from Blue Banisters. That's truly beautiful song and amazing album, but I've got a feeling that it wouldn't have worked.

BB is already a compilation so I don't see how that wouldn't have worked.. it's not like there's a theme or the album is sonically consistent

22 hours ago, viv said:

the die life-electra heart outtakes not making the final cut was a good decision imo. specifcally scab & plaster, miss y and bump in the night, to me i feel like they could've been rewritten and reworked to fit the albums concept better, but im glad they were left out. they just have outsider energy lyrically and sonically. + i have no idea where theyd fit on the tracklist at all

and similar to what you said about zodiac ending up as filler if it was included, miss y & bump in the night would 100% too

maybe scab & plaster wouldn't have fitted as neatly but it's a banger regardless so IDK... she could've found a place for it. i think it was left out because thematically it was too strong of an outlier 

Most of the 1989 vault tracks (expect Is It Over Now?) They are all amazing but don't really fit. Also, maybe in another life Is It Over Now? (Polished Demo) is released on 1989 (10th Anniversary Edition).

Best American Record/Architecture. This song really benefited from the reworking :shrug: 

For me the original version would definitely be a skip.

Removing Dealer from the Chemtrails was also a good decision!

16 hours ago, YourGirl666 said:

To me, A&W, Candy Necklace, Zodiac and the interludes belong to the same chapter/soundscape. The sequence is

1. American Whore/Jimmy

2. Judah Smith Interlude

3. Candy Necklace (and/or Zodiac)

4. Jon Baptiste Interlude

While they're (Zodiac and CN) different enough songs, they still share some similarities, the eerieness, the darkness, the references, they're jazz/classical influenced piano ballads, they do belong together on the same hypothetical record, but the thing with OB is that it's an album that is divided both thematically and sonically almost in a cinematic/theatral way (acts), each chapter has its sound and themes and they effectively work together because every song is there for a reason (even the pop stuff in the end serves their own purpose) and no chapter overstays its welcome. Putting Zodiac and Candy Necklace back to back on the album would sound very repetitive and just wouldn't add that much cause many of the themes in Zodiac are already touched on by other tracks (A&W, JS interlude, Fingertips). So that's why I think replacing Zodiac with Candy Necklace was the right move, even if I love it and would love if Lana found a way to get it officially released (either in a deluxe or standalone or in a new record).

I think

1. A&W

2. Zodiac

3. Candy Necklace 

would’ve worked just fine. A&W into Zodiac would really enhance the eerieness/darkness of that section. Cut the interludes, or even keep Job Batiste but shorten it down to like a minute, and it would’ve made an already great album even better. You mention it would’ve been repetitive but I think repetitiveness is truly where this album shines. The cross references between songs (Kintsugi/Let the Light In, Paris,Texas/Margaret, Peppers/Fishtail) really make it feel like an album rather than a collection of songs (ex: Blue Banisters)

23 hours ago, viv said:

the die life-electra heart outtakes not making the final cut was a good decision imo. specifcally scab & plaster, miss y and bump in the night, to me i feel like they could've been rewritten and reworked to fit the albums concept better, but im glad they were left out. they just have outsider energy lyrically and sonically. + i have no idea where theyd fit on the tracklist at all

and similar to what you said about zodiac ending up as filler if it was included, miss y & bump in the night would 100% too

Double life should’ve been on EH 

14 minutes ago, Rock Candy said:

This!!!!! Dealer would have not suited COTCC at all, it would have made the album very incohesive (and COTCC is her most cohesive one in my opinion).

2.gif

23 minutes ago, Rock Candy said:

7 minutes ago, Embach said:

This!!!!! Dealer would have not suited COTCC at all, it would have made the album very incohesive (and COTCC is her most cohesive one in my opinion).

Disagree :bebe: it would’ve fit better on Chemtrails than Blue Banisters imo. It’s a little more aggressive than the rest of the album but so are the outros of White Dress and Chemtrails. 

59 minutes ago, Candy Necklace said:

Disagree :bebe: it would’ve fit better on Chemtrails than Blue Banisters imo. It’s a little more aggressive than the rest of the album but so are the outros of White Dress and Chemtrails. 

I proceed from the fact that moments of critical tension with Lana's scream (BBS outro, Dealer, LL outro) are more a distinctive feature of BB than Chemtrails. BB in this way gets "hysteria" among the general mood of melancholy and humility, whereas Chemtrails in this regard are more ethereal, carefree and sometimes prayer-like.

Just my opinion, I wanted to share it :heart: