Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Guest Maru the Cat

ok sorry why in gods name is this a problem?

BECAUSE LANA'S MUSIC IS A SECRET CLUB AND OTHER PEOPLE LIKING HER RUINS MY INDIE STREET CRED

A song's quality is not affected by popularity, excessive, or lack of, much in the same way a song's quality is not affected by the personal beliefs or convictions of the artist -- Morrissey has said some pretty racist things, but that doesn't change the quality of his work or negate his talent. I don't think you can truly judge the quality of a person's work by (or including) the outside factors (popularity, beliefs, actions) as shitty as they may be. The two should remain separate as they have no bearing on the actual talent required to create the piece.

A song's quality is not affected by popularity, excessive, or lack of, much in the same way a song's quality is not affected by the personal beliefs or convictions of the artist -- Morrissey has said some pretty racist things, but that doesn't change the quality of his work or negate his talent. I don't think you can truly judge the quality of a person's work by (or including) the outside factors (popularity, beliefs, actions) as shitty as they may be. The two should remain separate as they have no bearing on the actual talent required to create the piece.

you can't really say that. taste in music is very subjective and different factors affect the listener's opinion of a song. i, for one, cannot listen to music by artists i don't like personally. a song may seem great to me at first, but if i find out that the artist has a shitty personality, that ruins their music for me.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Guest Maru the Cat

you can't really say that. taste in music is very subjective and different factors affect the listener's opinion of a song. i, for one, cannot listen to music by artists i don't like personally. a song may seem great to me at first, but if i find out that the artist has a shitty personality, that ruins their music for me.

Alright. :shrugs: I suppose I shouldn't have attempted to dictate how others should critique an artist's work, but I personally don't like to include outside factors in my assessment. Different strokes for different folks, even though I don't agree with it, and I'm sure there are many people that don't agree with me.

I usually click delete pretty quick if an artist is Mormon :creep:

The only wedding I've ever been to was a Mormon-Muslim wedding. :toofloppy: ~awkward~

I have found that, generally, i tend to like the music of people i don't really like as people, and i end up liking people whose music i don't like.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I usually click delete pretty quick if an artist is Mormon :creep:

Hmmmm...The Killers? :creep:

The only wedding I've ever been to was a Mormon-Muslim wedding. :toofloppy: ~awkward~

O _ O

I can't even imagine.

That seems VAIR contradictory to what I know of Mormons :toofloppy:

Hmmmm...The Killers? :creep:

The reason I say "usually" :flutter:

I have found that, generally, i tend to like the music of people i don't really like as people, and i end up liking people whose music i don't like.

I feel the same way...so many of my friends listen to bands like "Imagine Dragons," "Coldplay," and "Mumford & Sons" that I simply cannot stand.

Agreed. If I don't have respect for them I just can't listen to their music.

last.fm  

Guest Maru the Cat

Agreed. If I don't have respect for them I just can't listen to their music.

My point wasn't about liking/listening someone's music, it's about recognizing quality, regardless of outside factors. You can recognize the quality of an artist's work, but not necessarily like the artist or the actual work itself.

My point wasn't about liking/listening someone's music, it's about recognizing quality, regardless of outside factors. You can recognize the quality of an artist's work, but not necessarily like the artist or the actual work itself.

Ok maybe, hahahha.

last.fm  

Quality. Tee hee. What is and isn’t quality? What criteria do we use to measure this? And why that criteria? Says who? Toward the end of his life Bach, considered today to be the most important composer in all of music history, was pretty much cast aside because his style of composing was falling out of favor with the general public.

Quality ultimately amounts to nothing more than “good” and “bad,” and no one can conclusively make that determination in any meaningful way other than stating their opinion. Is the goal of music to, say, perfectly reproduce objective reality, like Realism aimed to do with painting? Does it have a concrete objective like that? Or is it simply to move someone, whether emotionally or physically? Unlike, say, architecture, which, amongst other things, aims to be functionally and structurally sound, or literature whose goal is to translate a narrative to its reader, music (with some exceptions) doesn’t have a goal beyond simply being “good” (and sometimes purposely bad!) If “good” = “quality,” again, how do we measure this? What, how unique a chord progression is? How “memorable” a melody is? How many notes the melody has? How complex the structure is? Whether it has key changes? What scale it's in? A particular instrumentation, key, or time signature? How “good” of a performance it is? How “catchy” the end result is? Why? What if we say (totally arbitrarily) that a criterion is that the melody should have "a lot" of notes? Well, what if they're all shitty notes? What then?

As much as i spout off my opinions on the quality of music, sometimes in an overzealous manner, i will go to my grave arguing that no one can prove to the kid hanging out at the mall food court drinking a giant sized coke and stuffing greasy pizza in their face that Bach is better than Avril Lavigne. Do i think it’s insane that some people may not recognize a difference in “quality” between the two? Absolutely. But nothing that i or anybody uses to arrive at this conclusion is substantial or meaningful. Music resonates with everyone differently, and for totally different (and mysterious!) reasons.

This is one of the beautiful things about music--with its unique, unprecedented language and its inexplicable power, so long as the LYRICS aren’t blatantly espousing a certain ideology, music can transcend the ugly side of its creator, of human beings--the racism, the misogyny, the homophobia, bigotry, hate, greed, etc. Wagner did what no one before him had done, completely changing the face of music forever--even today people are still trying to take the next logical step--and he was a raging anti-semite. Does that take away from his musical accomplishments? Does that change a single bar, even a single note, of Tristan and Isolde?

But maybe Maru was just talking about one's obviously subjective view of what quality means. :P

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Guest Maru the Cat

But maybe Maru was just talking about one's obviously subjective view of what quality means. :P

Why would I assume that there should be a universal standard of quality to be upheld in various media?

i don't understand the purpose of the line "My pussy tastes like pepsi cola" in Cola besides to grab attention,

xtina-judging-you-gif.gif

I live my life inside a dream.Only waking when I sleep..

Guest Maru the Cat

^ I don't know, i'm not inside the head of cats.

Maybe you just need to put your thinking cat on. :3

thinking-cat.jpg

:defeated:

i don't understand the purpose of the line "My pussy tastes like pepsi cola" in Cola besides to grab attention, because thats really the only line quoted.

The verses of that song are basically just a list of reasons why she's a bad bitch.

- Her pussy tastes like Pepsi cola

- Her eyes are wide like cherry pies

- She has a taste for men who are older (no surprise)

- She falls asleep in an American flag

- She wears her diamonds on Skid Row

- She pledges allegiance to her dad (for being so informative)

It's basically her version of a Chuck Norris joke :shh:

xtina-judging-you-gif.gif

IT SAID UNPOPULAR BYE

The verses of that song are basically just a list of reasons why she's a bad bitch.

- Her pussy tastes like Pepsi cola

- Her eyes are wide like cherry pies

- She has a taste for men who are older (no surprise)

- She falls asleep in an American flag

- She wears her diamonds on Skid Row

- She pledges allegiance to her dad (for being so informative)

It's basically her version of a Chuck Norris joke :shh:

that makes more sense thank u

tumblr_miebj9EePO1qiz2n4o1_250.jpg