Sign in to follow this  
Mileena

Come When You Call Me America Origins?

CWYCMA is pretty much my favourite song and I'm really curious about the origins of it. I don't think I've seen it on any song databases and it just appeared online one day.

Here's some of my theories: (Yes I've thought about this long and hard)

1) If both versions were done in 2008, could they of been made for LDRAKALG, or another EP type thing?

2) V1 wasn't good enough, so V2 was made instead to go on something.

Because unless I'm mistaken, both versions were made in the Lizzy Grant era.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I love the song too much lol.

4r9w86.jpg

In the early days of Lana Del Reydio, someone gave me a few unreleased songs to premiere on the shows. One, because it was more exciting than just leaking them on Tumblr, and two, to get more listeners for the show. Theory solved :)

tumblr_mbs9cbxgQB1qh9kaoo1_500.gif

I love CWYCMA too! I prefer version 1, and have that on my Surf Noir mix (my picks for sort of a LDRAKA:LG part 2), and version 2 is on my dance mix. 2008 puts it in around the Kill Kill era, so you're probably right about that. The version numbers could have been assigned by CalendarGirl from LDR.FM, though. I don't think we know which one came first.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I love CWYCMA too! I prefer version 1, and have that on my Surf Noir mix (my picks for sort of a LDRAKA:LG part 2)

Need this mix now :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

It's really different and interesting, but fits right in with songs like Mermaid Motel. It could have been a reject, as it was recorded in a real studio and not acoustically. However, it seems the only information we have on it are the dates.

Need this mix now :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

LOL, I posted it before on LDR.FM! It was my aptly :eyeroll: titled "LDRAKA:LG Part 2"! I've graduated to calling it by its subgenre :blush:

But I have been tweaking it, so here it is:

1. Heavy Hitter

2. Dum Dum

3. Come When You Call Me A-M-E-R-I-C-A

4. You Can Be the Boss (+ She Walks Into Mine)

5. Jimmy Gnecco

6. Trash Magic (Miss America)

7. Kinda Outta Luck

8. Pin-Up Galore

9. Match Made in Heaven

10. Hundred Dollar Bill

11. Disco

12. The Man I Love

13. On Our Way (Heavier Than Heaven)

"Bonus" tracks

14. You're Gonna Love Me

15. Elvis

16. Money Hunny

17. Axl Rose Husband

18. Get Drunk

19. 1949

(DICWB fell off the playlist. I added the demo to my Hollywood Sadcore mix ("BTD Part 2") and it just seems to fit better there now.)

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Sorry to bump but I just discovered this song (it was one of the few that slipped through my radar) and it seriously takes me away to another place. The version with the brass…it captures a visual moment in time so well. A youtube comment on one of the videos with the audio for this song describes the feeling I get with accuracy: "it seriously reminds me of being in the passenger seat next to a guy I like, just cruising down an empty highway, while looking out the window at the city skyline."

Its kinda got a Quadron/Robin Hannibal (also of Rhye) vibe to it. So relaxing, so groovy, so sassy, so nostalgic. I'm in love with it. It seems to be just as divisive as Lana herself is, though, interestingly enough - some people really hate it. 

I'm interested in it's backstory too. It doesn't really sound like anything else she's ever done, and especially if its from 2008? It doesn't really bridge any sonic gaps between Kill Kill and AKA or AKA and BTD. I wish Lana released this and went this direction with all her music. I'm so curious about this song and I want more where it came from. And why do some people love it and some people hate it?

Funny thing is, I didn't even know there are two versions until I read it on Lanaboards and I still couldn't figure out which version is which, I just know I still prefer the one I've known first. :awk:

I've always thought it's just another leaked song but it's really weird that no one knows where it comes from. I'd love to know too because it's one of my all time Lana faves. And why do so many people hate it actually? From every opinion I've read on this song, it seems you either really love it or really hate it, there's no in-between.

Yeah, CWYCMA is a mystery in every possible way I guess. :bliss:

There are lots of leaked songs about which we just don't know where they came from though, no?

Probably Ben Mawson trying to keep Lana relevant or something