teethclick

Björk

After listening to Björk for quite a few months now, I've become familiar with all of the albums and the songs and I feel like I can finally make a reasonable judgment on all the albums.

For me, this is my ordering of her albums, from best to worst, although the only ones really set in stone are Vulnicura, Vespertine and Biophilia. All the rest can fluctuate depending on my mood. Also, please note that even the ones on the 'lower' end of the ranking scale are actually great albums in my eyes, they're just not as good as the ones higher up.

Vulnicura = Vespertine > Homogenic > Debut > Medúlla > Volta > Post > Biophilia

Vulnicura really is her best album (along with Vespertine) because it's such an emotional journey, and I ADORE the way that each track flows perfectly from one another. It really is like a story and it develops as you progress through the songs. My favorites are "Stonemilker", "Lionsong", "Family" and "Black Lake". I especially love the incorporation of strings amongst the odd electronic sounds - it has a really unique production, and although some of the songs were too strange  or dark and emotionally draining for me to enjoy at first, I've come to love them with all my heart and think that they're perfect now. The album is full of growers, especially songs like Family and Mouth Mantra, which you will come to love more and more each time you hear them. No other album tops the emotion of Vulnicura, and this is exactly why I love it. I'm glad she came back with this masterpiece after she put out Biophilia, which, how do I put it?... was pretty messy, for lack of a better word.

Vespertine is just as perfect in my eyes. It's not as emotional as Vulnicura, in fact, it doesn't even come close, but it's the most beautiful album I've ever heard. In a sense, it reminds me of "Honeymoon" because it's so relaxing and beautiful. This was the first Björk album I listened the whole way through and all I can say is that I'm glad I listened to it, or I might've missed out on hearing all her other albums. "Hidden Place" is a fantastic opener and I love the double meaning that the hidden place concept has - a hidden place with a lover, or hidden place being the mind that we escape to. My other favorites are "Pagan Poetry", which is possibly the most intense and beautiful song I've ever heard; "Cocoon" which has a simple yet relaxing production; the lively "It's Not Up to You" and its angelic choir in the background; as well as "Aurora" which blends sounds of snow with beautiful melodies. Overall, there is not a bad song on the album, even "Frosti" acts as an interesting interlude, and the odd "An Echo, A Stain" has the redeeming quality of such haunting melodies.

Homogenic is another fantastic album. The way in which traditional Icelandic instruments have been placed amidst the electronic elements is fantastic. There is a lot of variety on Homogenic: you have more reflective, melodic songs like "Hunter" and "Unravel", as well as pop-ish songs like "Alarm Call" and "Immature" and the chaotic anger of "Pluto". My personal favorites are "Hunter", "Jóga", "Bachelorette", "Unravel" and "Immature", but they're all fantastic. The album cover art is extremely captivating as well and definitely captures the strange but captivating feel of the songs.

Debut was one of the few Björk albums that I instantly loved upon first play. A lot of her other albums took a little longer until I really fell in love with them, but with Debut, it was different. Even though the album certainly has more of a "pop" feel to it, there is something so innovative about Björk's voice and the way in which her melodies are composed that keeps you interested and keeps everything so unique. "Human Behaviour", "Crying", "Venus as a Boy" and "Play Dead" are just wonderful songs in every way. Her beautiful cover of "Like Someone In Love" is another mesmerising Björk track. This is an exceptional piece of work and as a debut, I think Björk did an exceptional job!

Recently I have fallen in love with Medúlla. I still concur with those who claim it is a "weird" album, because it certainly is odd in some ways, but I think if you give it a few listens, it'll grow on you immensely. Every song is so unique and there are actually some very great songs that you'll end up loving, like "Where Is The Line", "The Pleasure Is All Mine", "Who Is It", "Oceania" and "Triumph Of A Heart". There are also some really beautiful moments like "Desired Constellation" which makes me want to cry, and Björk's take on the traditional Icelandic lullaby "Vökuró" which is probably one of my favorite Björk songs of all time, despite not being able to remember or understand most of the lyrics! The album may be almost fully a cappella but there's still a huge variety of tracks and interesting compositions and melodies that you won't be bored if you keep listening. The other musicians enlisted to beatbox and lend backing vocals have also done an absolutely brilliant job.

Volta is another unique concept record. I can understand why opinions on this album tends to vary, with some stating it's her best work yet and others claiming that it's horrible, since it's probably Björk's most "out there" record. It's so different to everything else she's made, but that's part of the reason I've come to really enjoy it. "Earth Intruders" is a fantastic way to start the record, and I especially love those "watery" beats. "Declare Independence" is the biggest bop on the planet, and I love raging to it when I'm super pissed off about something - it's a great way to release all your negative energies. "Innocence", "The Dull Flame of Desire", "Vertebrae by Vertebrae", "I See Who You Are" and "Wanderlust" are also great songs. Overall it's a strange record that you will either love or hate, but it really is an experience to listen to the whole way through.

Now, I'm preparing myself to get attacked for saying this, but even though Post is an amazing album, I do think I have to agree on Björk with this one when she said many years ago that she would make better music than Post in the future. Post is nowhere near my favorite Björk album and I think that it's often placed on this invisible pedestal when really, Björk's other works are just as good, if not better. Songs like "Isobel", "Hyper-Ballad", "Modern Things",  "I Miss You" and the popular cover of "It's Oh So Quiet" are certainly fantastic without a doubt, but some of the other tracks fall flat in my opinion, and the ending of the record is particularly anticlimactic (not saying they're bad songs, but it's just not the best way to end an album, in my opinion). The cover art is beautiful and creative beyond measure - it is the most captivating cover art I have ever seen in my life. Overall, it's a nice album, but in some ways it feels like a watered down, less exciting version of Debut for me.

Finally, I think most of us can agree that Biophilia is trash. Just kidding, it's not that bad at all, it's actually a great album, but compared to her other albums, it's my least favorite and honestly I still haven't really gotten into it much. The only songs that I can really remember as being good were "Crystalline" and possibly "Moon", "Virus" and "Mutual Core". The rest were extremely forgettable and sounded almost identical to me. Haven't really listened to it many times because I find myself getting bored really quickly and thinking about how I could be listening to something much more exciting like Vespertine or even Volta. I don't really understand the concept of Biophilia at all, and I know that it was supposed to have an "educational" component to it, but the album itself is lacking in so many ways. Hopefully I'm not attacked for this opinion either, lol.

Overall I think Björk is the most innovative artist I have ever come across and she is probably my second or third favorite artist at this point. I'd love to hear more opinions from y'all about her albums, I love reading about what others have to say about music, and especially since Björk is not the most mainstream artist there are very few places where detailed discussions are being made about her music. Let me know what you think of the albums. Which ones are your faves and which ones do you not care for that much?

@Hawaiian Tropic

I agree with Vulnicura and Vespertine being up there as her best albums. Medúlla and those two are my favorites.

Post really does have some incredible songs like Army of Me, Hyperballad, Possibly Maybe and Enjoy, but you're right; it's overrated. However, we shouldn't ignore the fact that the reason behind its acclaim is because of how innovative, fresh, futuristic and absolutely mind-blowing it was back then. Debut and Post changed the underground electronic and pop scenes forever.

What you feel for Biophilia, I feel it for Volta haha. I love Biophilia. Sure, it isn't the kind of album you'll play casually, but it wasn't meant for that. I love the lyrics, and her voice... wow, so powerful. I also think it is shocking musically speaking... I bet you won't find an album similar to it. It's literally unique.

Pagan Poetry is one of the most intense songs I have ever heard too. So nice to see that I'm not the only one who uses that word to describe it. Intense.

I want to know more of why Biophilia is so lowly-rated on many people's album listings. I couldn't give a shit abt the whole app concept thing but I honestly just really enjoy the whole album so much??? It's so natural sounding and calming. I'm not really here for songs about relationships bc I think it's way overwritten (so Vulnicura doesn't really hit the spot for me) however I think Biophilia's lyrical fascination with nature is just so...unique without being super forced and weird. I'd love to hear more opinions

I want to know more of why Biophilia is so lowly-rated on many people's album listings. I couldn't give a shit abt the whole app concept thing but I honestly just really enjoy the whole album so much??? It's so natural sounding and calming. I'm not really here for songs about relationships bc I think it's way overwritten (so Vulnicura doesn't really hit the spot for me) however I think Biophilia's lyrical fascination with nature is just so...unique without being super forced and weird. I'd love to hear more opinions

Really? For me I HATE that about Biophilia. The nature concept for me is boring and confusing.... some of the lyrics are kinda scientific and make no sense to me lmao. I also think the production is boring on most songs. The only song I like is Crystalline

FzytWEW.png

Don't get me wrong, the few times I have listened to Biophilia I have enjoyed it. But I just find her other albums to be more captivating and exciting for me personally. I don't understand the concepts in any of the Biophilia songs at all, it's a very confusing album for me, and musically, I just naturally find her other albums to be more to my taste. Not trying to bash Biophilia, because it's an interesting record with a nice sound but it just doesn't really hit the spot for me, just as you said about Vulnicura. For me, Vulnicura is one of the most impressive albums I've ever heard and is full of so much emotion and creativity, but obviously we see different things, and that's ok, each to their own, I guess :) I'd like to hear more about your opinions of Vulnicura. What is it about the album that makes it not as great for you? Just genuinely curious because I think it's fantastic

@Hawaiian Tropic

I agree with Vulnicura and Vespertine being up there as her best albums. Medúlla and those two are my favorites.

Post really does have some incredible songs like Army of Me, Hyperballad, Possibly Maybe and Enjoy, but you're right; it's overrated. However, we shouldn't ignore the fact that the reason behind its acclaim is because of how innovative, fresh, futuristic and absolutely mind-blowing it was back then. Debut and Post changed the underground electronic and pop scenes forever.

What you feel for Biophilia, I feel it for Volta haha. I love Biophilia. Sure, it isn't the kind of album you'll play casually, but it wasn't meant for that. I love the lyrics, and her voice... wow, so powerful. I also think it is shocking musically speaking... I bet you won't find an album similar to it. It's literally unique.

Pagan Poetry is one of the most intense songs I have ever heard too. So nice to see that I'm not the only one who uses that word to describe it. Intense.

As we speak, Medúlla continues to grow on me. It has taken me quite a while to get into, but recently I can't stop listening to it - it's so creative. (Might have to go back some day and possibly place it higher in my ordering, or at least have it be equal to Debut).

And good point about Debut/Post. They were such innovative and forward albums for the time so I can see why they were so acclaimed - they had a tremendous impact in music, as you said.

Which albums would you say are worse than Biophilia? I know you'd say Volta but just wondering if any other albums would be below it if you had a rating scale. 

Glad I'm also not the only one who loves Pagan Poetry. My sister asked me what I was playing the other day and told me that she hated the song and that it was weird. Don't insult my Björk like that! And especially not Pagan Poetry, arguably one of her best songs!   :crossed:

As we speak, Medúlla continues to grow on me. It has taken me quite a while to get into, but recently I can't stop listening to it - it's so creative. (Might have to go back some day and possibly place it higher in my ordering, or at least have it be equal to Debut).

And good point about Debut/Post. They were such innovative and forward albums for the time so I can see why they were so acclaimed - they had a tremendous impact in music, as you said.

Which albums would you say are worse than Biophilia? I know you'd say Volta but just wondering if any other albums would be below it if you had a rating scale.

Glad I'm also not the only one who loves Pagan Poetry. My sister asked me what I was playing the other day and told me that she hated the song and that it was weird. Don't insult my Björk like that! And especially not Pagan Poetry, arguably one of her best songs! :crossed:

I love showing my friends the music video for Pagan Poetry bc they're always a mixture of grossed out and confused and amazed (the definition of björk?)

smile.gif

Glad I'm also not the only one who loves Pagan Poetry. My sister asked me what I was playing the other day and told me that she hated the song and that it was weird. Don't insult my Björk like that! And especially not Pagan Poetry, arguably one of her best songs!   :crossed:

Worse albums than Biophilia (in my opinion) are Post and Volta. The latter is the only one that I dislike though.

If I had to rate the albums...

Debut: 7/10

Homogenic: 10/10

Vespertine: 9.5/10

Medulla: 10/10

Volta: 8.5/10

Biophilia: 8/10

Vulnicura: 9/10

Even my least favorites (Debut and Post) are really interesting and fun to listen to. Her discography is truly special.

If I had to rate the albums...

Debut: 7/10

Homogenic: 10/10

Vespertine: 9.5/10

Medulla: 10/10

Volta: 8.5/10

Vulnicura: 9/10

Even my least favorites (Debut and Post) are really interesting and fun to listen to. Her discography is truly special.

If I had to rate the albums in general, here would be my ratings:

Debut: 9/10

Homogenic: 9.5/10

Vespertine: 10/10

Medulla: 9/10

Volta: 8/10

Vulnicura: 10/10

[...]

For me it would be,

Debut 7

Post 6

Homogenic 9

Vespertine 10

Medúlla 10

Volta 4

Biophilia 8

Vulnicura 10

I finally have all of her studio albums / remix albums / soundtracks on vinyl  :defeated: it took forever 

Congratulations :defeated:

Why is It's Oh So Quiet the best song I've ever heard in my life?

Ew, that's like, the worst song on her discography :toofunny:

For me it would be,

Debut 7

Post 6

Homogenic 9

Vespertine 10

Medúlla 10

Volta 4

Biophilia 8

Vulnicura 10

Congratulations :defeated:

Ew, that's like, the worst song on her discography :toofunny: