Sign in to follow this  
LDRO

Rick Nowels talks 'Summertime Sadness' & Lana

161836838-2.jpg

“Lana Del Rey earned respect because she is so good” says her co-writer

Rick Nowels, the co-writer and co-producer of Lana Del Rey’s ‘Summertime Sadness, has revealed that she rose to fame so quickly because people could see her real talent and artistry. Speaking to Billboard, the songwriter explained that he saw something in her that was “magical” before she became so well-known and wasn’t surprised when she went on to enjoy an incredibly successful career:

How did you and Lana Del Rey come to write “Summertime Sadness” together?

I met Lana in summer 2011. I had heard some of her songs on YouTube and I loved what she was doing. When we wrote it, I realized that she was a brilliant songwriter and a magical artist. She writes the kind of music I want to listen to.

As the song is Del Rey’s first Pop Songs hit, do you feel that she’s earning respect that may have eluded her after her not exactly warmly-received “Saturday Night Live” appearance last year?

Lana has earned respect because she is so good. She has consistently released high-quality songs with artistry and vision. People are starving for real artistry. As more people hear her music, she’s gaining more fans.

Source

Love to know if this interview was pre or post new material leak

Personally I think they like each other very much. Rick seems like such a nice person. A perfect partner for Lana. Imagine them at the Oscars, Well I can dream, can't I.

Personally I think they like each other very much. Rick seems like such a nice person. A perfect partner for Lana. Imagine them at the Oscars, Well I can dream, can't I.

I believe they do too, that's why I worry what the dynamics are like now :teehee:

Maybe we'll get a So Legit for Rick soon :troll:

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

"wasn’t surprised when she went on to enjoy an incredibly successful career"

Then why does it always look like she hates being famous....is it all just an act or something :hooker:

Then why does it always look like she hates being famous....is it all just an act or something :hooker:

it's her cobain act tbh

if she hated being famous she wouldn't call paps every day  :pft:

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

She is naturally a shy person. I understand her. I dont like being in spotlight too but u still long for admiration of other people´s.

She is naturally a shy person. I understand her. I dont like being in spotlight too but u still long for admiration of other people´s.

This makes some sense but I feel inclined to agree with @@lola and call it her 'Cobain act' tbh.

I think she loves and wants fame / recognition / adulation / etc. but at the same time feels she can't stay 'so legit' :usrs: if she gives in to all that & doesn't simply create art for art's sake. 'Cause, you know, admitting that you want to be popular & worry about what other people think of you is basically the most un-'punk rock' thing you can do. :smirk:

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

This makes some sense but I feel inclined to agree with @@lola and call it her 'Cobain act' tbh.

I think she loves and wants fame / recognition / adulation / etc. but at the same time feels she can't stay 'so legit' :usrs: if she gives in to all that & doesn't simply create art for art's sake. 'Cause, you know, admitting that you want to be popular & worry about what other people think of you is basically the most un-'punk rock' thing you can do. :smirk:

Why would she want to be any kind of "punk" attitude artist ? I just commented that you can like your fame even though you are shy person in nature and it manifests sometimes ( stage fear, interviews etc.). I like the point of her career where she is at now. She is still not overexposed much but she has solid fanbase and great cd sales so she can afford her dreams come true (videos, helping other people etc.).

Why would she want to be any kind of "punk" attitude artist ? I just commented that you can like your fame even though you are shy person in nature and it manifests sometimes ( stage fear, interviews etc.). I like the point of her career where she is at now. She is still not overexposed much but she has solid fanbase and great cd sales so she can afford her dreams come true (videos, helping other people etc.).

Because she idealizes it and seems to equate it with being more of a 'legitimate' artist. How many times has she mentioned in interviews that she's disappointed with the people she's met in the industry, that no one else seems to be 'in it' only for the music, etc.?

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Because she idealizes it and seems to equate it with being more of a 'legitimate' artist. How many times has she mentioned in interviews that she's disappointed with the people she's met in the industry, that no one else seems to be 'in it' only for the music, etc.?

Its just her and her complicated persona. Of course she is not signed in Interscope just to make "art", but it doesnt mean she cant do great music, either. The word "legitimate artist" doesnt have meaning anymore for me.

I wonder if Lana might have a future releasing her CD the way she wants it, while simultaneously releasing official remixes of some of the songs with the best hooks/lyrics for the pop charts.

Its just her and her complicated persona. Of course she is not signed in Interscope just to make "art", but it doesnt mean she cant do great music, either. The word "legitimate artist" doesnt have meaning anymore for me.

Oh, absolutely. I just think it definitely does to her (or is, at least, part of the image she wants to transmit to others). Hence all the contradictions.

Oh, absolutely. I just think it definitely does to her (or is, at least, part of the image she wants to transmit to others). Hence all the contradictions.

Im sorry. I think you just keep overanalysing everything. You can find contradictions in behaviour of every human´s.  :candy:  And I dont really dare say what she really wants. In most of her unreleased songs she sings about fame and money. But it was just an idealized dream and now when she reached it she may find she doesnt want to be that type of "popstar" she longed for

@@Foolish In some people those contradictions are more apparent than in others, and Lana is definitely one of those people.to me. I believe half of what she says / sings about, but completely mistrust the other half. And what can I say, I totally like analysing all that shit, it's like a hobby. :bop: