Sign in to follow this  
Ultra-Violence

Oscar Saboteur Targets Lana Del Rey Song "Young and Beautiful"

I recall an interview with him where he said that Lana only had the chorus written and they worked on all the rest. Trying to find it now. That would mean that until she started working with Baz, she only had the chorus of Y&B written, not the whole song.

Let’s talk for a second about new music you have released relatively recently. Did you write “Young and Beautiful” specifically for The Great Gatsby soundtrack, or was that a song you had previously penned but not released?

Lana: I wrote a different song, but when Baz Luhrmann heard it, he asked me if I could I write a memory cue for Daisy. So I sang him a chorus of  “Young and Beautiful” that I had already — just a chorus — and he thought that’d be good for her. I wrote the whole thing after I watched her garden scenes.

Radio interview

Let’s talk for a second about new music you have released relatively recently. Did you write “Young and Beautiful” specifically for The Great Gatsby soundtrack, or was that a song you had previously penned but not released?

Lana: I wrote a different song, but when Baz Luhrmann heard it, he asked me if I could I write a memory cue for Daisy. So I sang him a chorus of  “Young and Beautiful” that I had already — just a chorus — and he thought that’d be good for her. I wrote the whole thing after I watched her garden scenes.

Radio interview

Thanks, this was it! So basically she only had the chorus written (consistent with what she said in the radio interview about having written the chorus for a song). idk what this means for the Oscars, but recycling unused melodies and lyrics isn't unusual at all (the chorus of "I Know Him So Well" went through about three different incarnations before finding its home as the Chess showstopper) and it seems the rest of the song was written for the film. Rather different from "she wrote the song beforehand and it just happened to fit the film." But I don't know anything about the Oscars or the guidelines so this is just total speculation :v

Thanks, this was it! So basically she only had the chorus written (consistent with what she said in the radio interview about having written the chorus for a song). idk what this means for the Oscars, but recycling unused melodies and lyrics isn't unusual at all (the chorus of "I Know Him So Well" went through about three different incarnations before finding its home as the Chess showstopper) and it seems the rest of the song was written for the film. Rather different from "she wrote the song beforehand and it just happened to fit the film." But I don't know anything about the Oscars or the guidelines so this is just total speculation :v

Rule Fifteen: Special Rules for the Music Awards

1. Original Song:

An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture.  There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the motion picture or as the first music cue in the end credits.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/86/rule15.html

That is the reason for a lot of people wondering if it would qualify.

It's weird that the demo lyrics were slightly different and didn't really fit with the GG though.

If I went to jail, at least I wouldn't have to sign autographs

it has already qualified, it's nominated for a nomination, you really don't have to worry about it being eligible

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Gatsby was going to come out December 2012. Y&B would have been on both Paradise and the soundtrack, promoting both projects. But since the film was pushed back, so was the release of Y&B. That's why it wasn't on Paradise.

And if you are going to say it isn't an original song, then you might as well question every other song that's ever been nominated. Lyrics, melody's, choruses, top lines, etc.., all of them have been re-used and recycled from unused songs to make a new song. And a lot of artists just throw in a song they are currently working on or an unreleased song when asked to write a song for a film.

Sadly, we all know "Let It Go" is gonna win (Disney cred + Idina Menzel cred). But it would be nice for Y&B to be nominated.

The Academy likes variety for that category. Plus, based on the past 3 ceremonies (and how the category has been fucked up), they like to base the win on who's performing (which nowadays they only like to limit to 1 or 2 performers ;) )