Sign in to follow this  
Ultra-Violence

Oscar Saboteur Targets Lana Del Rey Song "Young and Beautiful"

EXCLUSIVEOscar trickery has routinely been an unfortunate part of the Academy Awards. Usually it’s reserved for the Best Picture candidates, but this year someone got an early start in the Best Original Song category. I’m told by a reliable source that an anonymous envelope was mailed to members of the Academy music selection committee, complete with a printout from an online article that made the bogus assertion the Grammy-nominated Lana Del Rey song “Young And Beautiful” was disqualified for Best Song over a technicality involving The Great Gatsby‘s changed release date. The word Variety appeared on the printout that was sent, but when Warner Bros got wind of it and checked thoroughly, the piece sent was never published by Variety, and it does not appear to have been published anyplace legitimate. Insiders said attempts to figure out the sender were unavailing, so the studio and Interscope focused on setting the record straight with the Oscar committee member who reported receiving the missive and others who might have. Warner Bros, which has several songs from the Baz Luhrmann-directed film on the just-release long list of 75 eligible tunes, is now recutting a music featurette to emphasize the collaboration between Luhrmann and Del Rey on the song, which plays in the scene where Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) regales Daisy (Carey Mulligan) with the grandeur of his mansion. And yes, the song is Oscar-eligible. Studio insiders confirmed this happen, but would not elaborate. Here is the song when it was featured in the film’s original marketing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnUHtjqEKjU#t=0

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/great-gatsby-oscar-saboteur-targets-lana-del-rey-song-young-and-beautiful/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2095c354.gif

Billboard is now reporting it:

A few guns are always loaded during awards season in Hollywood to try to takedown the competition. The most common tactic is to take aim at the veracity of movies based on true stories, smear campaigns basically, against a filmmaker's interpretation of real events.

This year, the first smear campaign is against a song.

Deadline.com reported that members of the Motion Picture Academy music selection committee received a printout of an online article that stated Lana Del Rey's song “Young and Beautiful” had been disqualified from best song consideration. The printout indicated the story came from variety.com, but no such story ever appeared.

“Young and Beautiful,” along with four other songs from the Baz Luhrmann film, remain eligible. The song was used in trailers prior to the film's release and Warner Bros. is reportedly creating a new featurette on the song and its use in the film.

The last time a kerfuffle erupted over a song came during the 2004 awards season when a smear campaign was launched against the use of Kathleen "Bird" York's "In the Deep" in "Crash." The rumor mill, which was found to be untrue, was grinding out a story that York's tune was several years old.

Producers and distributors have gone to great lengths in recent years to quash any disinformation that could put the eligibility of songs or scores into question. It is standard practice for public Q&As, media interviews and film-related events to be monitored in hopes of keeping stories consistent.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5840339/lana-del-rey-best-song-oscar-bid-sabotaged?utm_source=twitter

wait I get that someone received an envelope saying y&b might be disqualified or something but I'm confused. Is the original young and beautiful song completely out of the question for the oscars? Have they actually confirmed that y&b won't be eligible? Someone break it down for me cause I'm too stupid to understand all of it. 

god knows I tried

There's no saying whether she's out of the nomination or not. From what I gather, she's part of the original pool of nominees, but I'm not sure how the letter will affect the nomination choices. I'm an Oscar junkie, and all I can say is that if anyone gets punished, it will be the person who wrote and sent the letter; especially if the saboteur is another nominee. They would lose the privilege of attendance to the awards, as well as the possibility of their nomination being stripped.

This should air everywhere and become a huge scandal so Lana will have some controversy and ppl will talk about him and then she can release Body Electric and it can slay the world, like it obviously would :creepna:

I though it was already published as not being eligible for a nomination, as she wrote Y&B before the film. Apparently it can't be considered as an original song if it was already penned. I mean the lyrics make it pretty obvious it wasn't written for the film, great Gatsby 1922 and rock and roll 1951!

The incident sounds like inside publicity if anything.

If I went to jail, at least I wouldn't have to sign autographs

Are ya'll serious or most of you are brain dead? :lmao:

Lana has been the front runner for the academy awards. The song is PERFECTLY eligible for nomination, but someone sent an envelope to the OSCAR committee trying to sabotage Lana claiming the song should not be nominated due the push back of Gatsby winter release date. They also faked an entire article from "Variety". Now Inter scope and Warner bros are setting the record straight and letting people know that the song is eligible.

I though it was already published as not being legible for a nomination, as she wrote Y&B before the film. Apparently it can't be considered as an original song if it was already penned. I mean the lyrics make it pretty obvious it wasn't written for the film, great Gatsby 1922 and rock and roll 1951!

No, Y&B it's perfect eligible for Oscars - indeed the song it's already  one of 75 finalist elegible songs for Oscars .

I though it was already published as not being legible for a nomination, as she wrote Y&B before the film. Apparently it can't be considered as an original song if it was already penned. I mean the lyrics make it pretty obvious it wasn't written for the film, great Gatsby 1922 and rock and roll 1951!

Why are u even on this site? are u even a fan?

k17pA.gif

Where did u get this info that she did not write for the film because as far as i know Fans were saying "Will U Still Love Me" were supposed to be on Paradise but that aint true! No one knows or had solid proof of it.

and that when this whole thing started that the song was not eligible, but in FACT it is.

"The envolope was sent by a ms. Taylor S."

This makes me feel sick! Honestly it's awful someone would do that. And makes me even more angry at the heaps of shit that were nominated instead: Taylor swift and demi lovato

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

"The envolope was sent by a ms. Taylor S."

This makes me feel sick! Honestly it's awful someone would do that. And makes me even more angry at the heaps of shit that were nominated instead: Taylor swift and demi lovato

there are 75 songs that are nominated to be nominated, the final nominees are going to be announced on january 16. and seriously, y&b is a shit song, she's lucky it's even being nominated for anything

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

there are 75 songs that are nominated to be nominated, the final nominees are going to be announced on january 16. and seriously, y&b is a shit song, she's lucky it's even being nominated for anything

The general public loves it lol, it seems like Y&B is only disliked within a small group of her fans (probably bc we know much more about Lana's discography)

The general public loves it lol, it seems like Y&B is only disliked within a small group of her fans (probably bc we know much more about Lana's discography)

the general public also loves the cedric gervais remix of summertime sadness. and if it's about the general public liking something, yeah, taylor swift will probably be nominated.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Where did u get this info that she did not write for the film because as far as i know Fans were saying "Will U Still Love Me" were supposed to be on Paradise but that aint true! No one knows or had solid proof of it.

Chill bb it was published on several sites when it was released

oh look here's one I googled for your lazy fat ass http://www.awardscircuit.com/2013/09/03/2014-oscar-predictions-gearing-up-for-the-original-song-race/

Personally I still think it was written before GG WTF is the term rock n' roll doing in a song for the 1920's

Why are u even on this site? are u even a fan?

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: Should you even be on this site are you like 12.

If being a fan means I can't have or share an opinion or information in a fucking forum... then no in your eyes I guess I'm not LIGAS

It's always a good laugh to find a simpleton on here :welcome:

This should air everywhere and become a huge scandal so Lana will have some controversy and ppl will talk about him and then she can release Body Electric and it can slay the world, like it obviously would :creepna:

that was the plan :facepalm:

C'mon, you guys, of course it's not eligible. It was written long beforehand by Edward Gallegos. :troll:

Ha, I wonder if this saboteur has been reading LanaBoards. And I wonder if this had anything to do with its Golden Globes snub.

and seriously, y&b is a shit song, she's lucky it's even being nominated for anything

It doesn't matter if Y&B is a shit song. That might even help. To borrow President Obama's politically incorrect phrasing, the Best Original Song category is "like the Special Olympics or something":

Seriously, you guys are making too big a deal of it. When you consider that this award is limited to commercial pop songs that premiere in a movie, it's not that great. I mean, look at the list of past winners. Most of the recent ones were main themes to Disney cartoons or that fucking Celine Dion song from Titanic. #BlameCanada

Though I'm here for "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp":

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Chill bb it was published on several sites when it was released

oh look here's one I googled for your lazy fat ass http://www.awardscircuit.com/2013/09/03/2014-oscar-predictions-gearing-up-for-the-original-song-race/

Personally I still think it was written before GG WTF is the term rock n' roll doing in a song for the 1920's

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: Should you even be on this site are you like 12.

If being a fan means I can't have or share an opinion or information in a fucking forum... then no in your eyes I guess I'm not LIGAS

It's always a good laugh to find a simpleton on here :welcome:

an Edward Gallegos sized mess.

2qc14s9.gif

Just because some site claim it's ineligible does not mean it's true and it was published on SEPTEMBER this year.

2qc14s9.gif

Like I said the rumor of the song not being for the film started because of the track list leaked before Paradise were released and Fans automatically assumed "Will U Still Love Me" were written for Paradise, but it was a false assumption. The rumor started to spread through blogs. No one "OFFICIAL" has stated the song was written for Paradise.

A0mf8NGCUAEB-hM.jpg

and Where's "Because Of You"?

2qc14s9.gif

Are u sure you're a fan when simple things like this go over your head? You have every right to share your "Opinions" but puh-leez don't claim them as fact.

And Young and Beautiful is one of her best songs, yall a mess.