Viva

Poll: What pop star will have Madonna's longevity?

Longetivity  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What artist will have Madonna's longevity?

• Lana Del Rey
    • Adele
    • Rihanna
    • Katy Perry
    • Pink
    • Taylor Swift
    • Lady Gaga
    • Beyoncé
    • Miley Cyrus
    • Lorde
    • Gwen Stefani
    • Demi Lovato
    • Shakira
    • Florence
    • Nicki Minaj
    • Avril Lavigne
    • Ellie Goulding
    • Azealia Banks

Guest Dot

How can Beyoncé have Madonna's longevity when she's not even capable to produce hit singles, (anymore)? Please...

I don't think any of them will be capable of what Madonna has done over the past decades.

Gaga is the one that's most likely to do so, but the problem with her is, that she has too much going on and she's not consistent enough throughout her eras. She needs to calm things down a bit and focus more on musical re-invention rather than focussing too much on her looks. If you want to become a legend like Madonna, you need to be able to re-invent yourself through fashion AND music. Gaga is going a little bit too fast in that sense, I think.

Rihanna kind of is the black Madonna and I'm pretty sure her GH album will outsell the Immaculate Collection. She is a hitmaker, who has been re-inventing herself without losing focus, however her last too albums were a little bit messy in terms of releases and she doesn't seem to be too much into her musical career anymore.

Katy Perry is just a puppet of Dr. Luke. She's not exciting and she's clearly not innovative. She keeps playing things safe and that will in the end lead to her flopping hard. Very Britney-esque.

How can Beyoncé have Madonna's longevity when she's not even capable to produce hit singles, (anymore)? Please...

I don't think any of them will be capable of what Madonna has done over the past decades.

Gaga is the one that's most likely to do so, but the problem with her is, that she has too much going on and she's not consistent enough throughout her eras. She needs to calm things down a bit and focus more on musical re-invention rather than focussing too much on her looks. If you want to become a legend like Madonna, you need to be able to re-invent yourself through fashion AND music. Gaga is going a little bit too fast in that sense, I think.

Rihanna kind of is the black Madonna and I'm pretty sure her GH album will outsell the Immaculate Collection. She is a hitmaker, who has been re-inventing herself without losing focus, however her last too albums were a little bit messy in terms of releases and she doesn't seem to be too much into her musical career anymore.

Katy Perry is just a puppet of Dr. Luke. She's not exciting and she's clearly not innovative. She keeps playing things safe and that will in the end lead to her flopping hard. Very Britney-esque.

I agree with most of what you said. Just a few things I would debateeeeeeee: Britney didn't flop for lake of talent, laziness or absense of talent. She's bipolar, or something like that, in another words it's not really something she can change, overcome or reinvent herself, she's sick for good and forever. Who know if things turned different for Britney, what would have happen to her life and career? Rihanna is our generation Madonna without the social-politcal statements just the tits and ass everywhere. I fucking love Rihanna and granny Madge.

KP is not a puppet lol. Poor KP so many don't take her serious, I like Miss Perry, she's fun.

glgcDdT.gif

Katy is just fun, that's all. She doesn't take a damn thing seriously and she doesn't try to champion herself as anything which is why she's so successful. Britney isn't in control of most things these days. William Orbit even said that will.i.a.m got his hands on Alien and butchered it. He did the same with Perfume so who knows what else he changed. You can even see changes in the demo of Alien and the album version. Horrible vocal editing. The only way Britney won't be over is if she somehow rediscovers herself cuz all she seems to be is a puppet of everyone else and she doesn't even realize.

The Beyonce doubt lmao. I'll see you guys in a decade when she's still selling albums like crazy :stareney2:

Crying at Azealia on this poll. She has longevity in my heart

Guest Dot

The Beyonce doubt lmao. I'll see you guys in a decade when she's still selling albums like crazy :stareney2:

Crying at Azealia on this poll. She has longevity in my heart <3

Exactly, she's an ALBUM artist. Madonna has had hit singles in almost every decade. Beyoncé hasn't. She's also not that successful outside of the UK and the US.

Did you even read/think before you posted this?

The Immaculate Collection sold THIRTY MILLION COPIES WW, something Rihanna's entire discography just collectively hit.

Not to mention there's no longer a market for greatest hits albums when you've already bought the digital singles

Every post from you tumblr_n3596cQRud1tticcuo1_500.gif

BzhmW.png

Exactly, she's an ALBUM artist. Madonna has had hit singles in almost every decade. Beyoncé hasn't. She's also not that successful outside of the UK and the US.

So you're saying she'll transcend Madonna? I agree tbh :makeup2:

Guest Dot

Omg who even put Azealia Banks on there

Someone with humour. :lel:

Someone with humour. :lel:

Azealia Banks is like a new innovative car, but it keeps crashing into other better well known cars, and it ran out of fuel in the middle of the desert and now no one's really trying to push it to the nearest town to get the tank refilled...

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

Just throwing my two cents in...

I can't help but feel bad for Gaga. I do think she has the talent to have a long career, but this ARTPOP disaster has really taken a toll on her public perception. I think it's quite clear that her next record will either make it or break it with her mainstream following. She'll always have her stanbase behind her back, but now it's a matter of addressing her holistic appeal. 

Imagine being a celebrity, all that pressure  :hdu:

Guest Dot

Azealia Banks is like a new innovative car, but it keeps crashing into other better well known cars, and it ran out of fuel in the middle of the desert and now no one's really trying to push it to the nearest town to get the tank refilled...

Love the imagery!

Did you even read/think before you posted this?

The Immaculate Collection sold THIRTY MILLION COPIES WW, something Rihanna's entire discography just collectively hit.

Not to mention there's no longer a market for greatest hits albums when you've already bought the digital singles

Every post from you tumblr_n3596cQRud1tticcuo1_500.gif

Adele and her 26 million copies of a single album called 21 would disagree. Rihanna sold more than 50 million of albums by the way.

glgcDdT.gif

Adele and her 26 million copies of a single album called 21 would disagree. Rihanna sold more than 50 million of albums by the way.

Uh, I never mentioned Adele. I was pointing out that greatest hits albums aren't well received, Rihanna's would never sell over 30 million WW because she's a singles artists so everyone has bought each track individually

Rihanna has sold 30 million albums total WW, records (singles) are at 150+ million

BzhmW.png

So you're saying she'll transcend Madonna? I agree tbh :makeup2:

Maybe in US she already did. Yet Madonna and Michael Jackson were who they were because of their international appeal , the fact people loved them everywhere they go. In a time with no internet I must add. Beyoncé is not even close to be a Icon here or in SA for that matter. She's not much of a thing in Asia as well.I believe she's huge in US makes world tours but doesn't have the Madonna heat and hits you know? Lakes talent and charisma I guess.  Her album sales say it all, Rihanna out sells her on every category with very little effort. Beyoncé has a great them tho her strategic team is amazing but that's not her per say just says what everyone already knows: she's a good business woman.

Beyoncé also stands for nothing, like she's so beige. I think you are being sarcastic  :usrs: when you say Beysus will one day have 1/5 of Madge's success with 1/1000 of Madge's talent

Even Katy Perry has more personality than Beysus

glgcDdT.gif

was a joke, obviously  :creep:

Anyway , 3 things happened to Azealia's career: US, Interscope and Azealia's personality

glgcDdT.gif

Uh, I never mentioned Adele. I was pointing out that greatest hits albums aren't well received, Rihanna's would never sell over 30 million WW because she's a singles artists so everyone has bought each track individually

Rihanna has sold 30 million albums total WW, records (singles) are at 150+ million

You didn't mention Adele , you mentioned record sales and that's why I mentioned Adele and 21. Icon and record sales don't necessarily walk hand in hand. I don't think Adele is an icon for example, she's going to be the most successful artist of our generation but she doesn't have influence over social behavior or fashion and movies. Beyonce is the same, just a lot less successful then Adele.

Record sales doesn't make you an International icon, it's not just that tbh. Did you ever heard about Roberto Carlos? He sold more than 100 million albums. Rita Lee? She sold until now 75 millions. Ivete? Sold 20 millions and has the record of concerts DVD sales. Yet you never heard about them did you? The world is not America and the whole world doesn't speak English. The fact Madonna is that huge in the 4 corners is incredible. Beyoncé will never be as powerful as Madonna, the only one from that list who comes close to Madge is Shakira, in social-cultural importance. The only artist I can see having a chance to be a legend is Rihanna. Gaga could be but by the way things are turning out and going for her I don't see that happening.

glgcDdT.gif