Sign in to follow this  
Deleted User

Reoccurrence in Lana's melodies and structures?

When you're singing along, you can interchange i'm pretty when I cry from Pretty When You Cry with money on the side from Sad Girl because the melodies are very similar.

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

There is a thin line between having a style and using a formula. She is no worse, imo, than Depeche Mode or Alanis Morrisette, in terms of milking a style, although there are obvious complications for LDR, like multiple versions of the same songs (e.g., every man gets his wish) and intentional reuse of musical themes in very different ways (e.g., Dangerous Girl and You and Me). But the thing that strikes me as weird is the range of styles. I would never have predicted (most) Lizzy Grant emerging from May Jailer or (most) Lana Del Rey emerging from Lizzy Grant. Then the leaks and unreleased often convey other flavors (e.g., lots of really decent bubble-gum pop). So yeah, certain songs have similarities to each other, but the range overall is what I focus on. Wish the leaks/unreleased/aborted-releases were a more proper part of her discography, as I think that range is what reflects her greatness the most (well for me, at least).

Too true about Alanis Morissette. I love her to death, but mhmm

Money Power Glory at about 1:57 for about 15 secs seems to phase in to a slowed or maybe key-altered version of "Us Against the World". In fact, the words seem conceptually related to UATW at that point too.

Off to the races:

swimming pool glimmering darling

white bikini off in my red nail polish

Watch me in the swimming pool

Bright blue ripples you

Sitting sipping on your black crystal aw yeah

Then the swimming pool scene from the SOC music video. Similar concept.

tumblr_inline_mr0bdqxfxY1qz4rgp.gif MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS... *duh*

Children Of The Bad Revolution and Blue Jeans guitar riffs are both present in Ultraviolence (song).

Yeah, she reuses a lot of her lyrics and riffs, but it always works. I never think, "Ugh, she's ripping from her old songs."

A lot of her chord progressions are similar or follow the same pattern.

She has a signature melody sort of.

A lot of her lyrics get recycled, as well.

Coney Island, Pontiac, Chevy, summer, Marilyn, heaven, etc.

I dont know if this is the right thread for it, but am I the only one who gets such life from Lana's use of that eerie vibrato she tends to tack on to her vocal delivery. I cannot pinpoint which sings she uses it in, and I did not hear it much on UV, in fact her vocal delivery on UV, while fab was somewhaf staid, as I did not hear many melismas or vibratos, or any other techniques, much. The vibrato I am referring to is used heavily in the introductory "Happy Birthday, Mr President" that Lana sings in the beginning of the "National Anthem" video. She uses it a lot in Paradise also, but I just cannot think where right now.