lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

I adore BTD, and was SO excited about UV, but was gutted after I heard it as i couldn't hear any melodies, her voice was poor and shrill and I was completely unimpressed.  I am a Lana fan, not a Lizzy fan so didn't like the 'new' sound.

HOWEVER - I LOVE the album now!  It works best for me on my ipod; that's where it clicked into place.  The album is not so instantly accessible as BTD, and needs a few listens in my opinion.  I wanted more NA and SS etc, and there aren't any of those on UV.

But it's like an onion, peel the first layer and there are many more to discover.  It's beautiful, it's flawed, her vocals are 'real' and raw. 

Relieved I love it and my disappointment has past.

1. Old Money 

2. Shades of Cool

3. Cruel World

4. Brooklyn Baby 

5. Black Beauty 

6. Florida Kilos 

7. Ultraviolence 

8. Money Power Glory

9. The Other Woman 

10. Sad Girl

11. Pretty When You Cry

12. West Coast

13. Fucked My Way Up To The Top 

14. Flipside 

15. Guns and Roses 

But things can change.

“It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.” ― Oscar Wilde

I wasn't going to rate the songs because the album is so new, I don't know if I have solid opinions, but I'm gonna give it a go.

1.) Florida Kilos

2.) Brooklyn Baby

3.) West Coast

4.) Money Power Glory

5.) Old Money

6.) Black Beauty

7.) Ultraviolence

8.) Cruel World

9.) Is This Happiness

10.) Pretty When You Cry

11.) Sad Girl

12.) The Other Woman

13.) Flipside

14.) Fucked My Way Up to the Top

15.) Shades of Cool

16.) Guns and Roses

This will probably change constantly.

What I am loving about the contents of this album is that I can see these songs being sung by Lana many years into the future. They have great replay value and will stand the test of time. You can tell that while, sure, creative license was  used to create many of the stories on the album, there is a certain genuine nature, an authenticity...these songs are close to Lana.

I adore BTD, and was SO excited about UV, but was gutted after I heard it as i couldn't hear any melodies, her voice was poor and shrill and I was completely unimpressed.  I am a Lana fan, not a Lizzy fan so didn't like the 'new' sound.

HOWEVER - I LOVE the album now!  It works best for me on my ipod; that's where it clicked into place.  The album is not so instantly accessible as BTD, and needs a few listens in my opinion.  I wanted more NA and SS etc, and there aren't any of those on UV.

But it's like an onion, peel the first layer and there are many more to discover.  It's beautiful, it's flawed, her vocals are 'real' and raw. 

I really cant understand how can anybody rate the album after the 1st listen.

After the first listen to the album, I was feeling a little underwhelmed and like I'd just listened to a very long song lmao. But after like 60 listens -

1. West Coast

2. Brooklyn baby

3. Florida Kilos

4. Money Power Glory

5. FMWUTTT

6.  Cruel World

7. Black Beauty

8. Guns and Roses

9. Sad Girl

10. Is This Happiness

11. Ultraviolence

12. The Other Woman

13. Shades of Cool

14. Old Money

15. Pretty When You Cry
16. Flipside

My rating: 

1. Cruel World 

2. Black Beauty 

3. Old Money.

4. Is This Happiness 

5. Sad Girl 

6. West Coast

7. Flipside 

8. Florida Kilos

9. The Other Woman

10. Money Power Glory 

11. Brooklyn Baby 

12. Shades of Cool

13. Fucked My Way Up To The Top

14. Ultraviolence 

15. Pretty When You Cry 

16. Guns and Roses :toofloppy: 

After many listens I'm even more impressed.  :defeated:

cooking up a dream, turning diamonds into snow

After BTD, she again made many memorable songs on UV, 11 of them got stuck in my mind and heart, only after few times listened,  I'll try to order them like this:

1. Shades Of Cool

2. Old Money

3. Brooklyn Baby

4. West Coast

5. Money Power Glory 

6. Ultraviolence

7. Pretty When You Cry

8. Florida Kilos

9. Sad Girl

10. Guns And Roses

11. Black Beauty

Cruel World

What a Monster of an opener. The girl in her red dress is back from the races. She’s drunken too much and danced the night away in the pale moonlight.  But instead of going to bed she decides to continue partying into the early hours of the morning. Lana sings with an intensity never heard before as she laments over a lover long gone. She feels used, abused and hung over whilst stuck in a suburban nightmare. It’s perfectly packaged in a classic country rock styled arrangement thanks to Mr. Auerbach; complete with distortions and reverb.

Best Part: It’s all about the chorus but really the whole six and a half minutes are grand.

10/10

Ultraviolence

The sweet way Lana sings this song captures the sentiment of someone who’s become submissive to their abusive partner. She knows better but is compelled by him; almost brainwashed by his ‘love’ for her. A passive aggression is building up inside her; a poisonous rage ready to erupt at any moment. Watch out things may become ultraviolent. :P

Best Part: Cause I'm your jazz singer, And you're my cult leader, I love you forever...

9 /10

Shades of Cool

Lana goes full Bond girl in this jazz number. Her vocals soar and dazzle in the chorus. She loves her man but he’s a player and she is just one of his many conquests. She’s vying for his undivided attention but he‘s just having fun.

Best part: The chorus -Cause you are invincible, I can't break through your world

10/10

Brooklyn Baby

Written with Barrie this is a sweet ode to the Brooklyn lifestyle. It’s one of the few lighter moments on the album (and is a standout track) with a great guitar arrangement thanks again to Mr Auerbach.

Best Part: When Barrie joins in on the final chorus. It’s slightly eerie but very cool.

10/10

West Coast

This song oozes cool. Lana is on fire as she sings about her love down on the west coast. It’s not so much about what she’s saying but more about the sweltering hypnotic mood she creates as she sings.

Best Part: When the tempo shift for the chorus
10 / 10

Sad Girl
Another slow jazzy number. Lana is clearly a sad, sad girl as she sings about being a mistress and longing to have her man all to herself. But he’s off frolicking with other women and she’s left alone to be a sad, sad, bad, bad, mad, mad girl.

Best Part: The Bridge - Watch what you say to me, Careful who you're talking to... I’m on fire baby.

6/10

Pretty When You Cry

Just when you thought Lana couldn’t possibly get any sadder she brings forth this little number. Her raw emotive vocals sound even more vulnerable than usual. A slow brooding number.

Best Part: The Bridge - Don't say you need me when, You're leaving, you leave again, I'm stronger than all my men, Except for you

8/10

Money, Power, Glory

What a deceptive little number of a song. Lana sings with such conviction (I almost believed she wanted all my money) while taking the mickey out of her detractors; playing into the very hands of those who have accused her of being fake and superficial. Her vocals soar once again in a powerful chorus.

Best Part: But that's not what this bitch wants, No what I want at all, I want money, power and glory

9/10

F***ed My Way Up To The Top

Well I’ve learnt a lesson here - Dont F**k with Lana. This is a scathing retaliation to a certain pop star who apparently made light of her music style and then proceeded to copy it. She swiftly and royally brings her opponent back down to earth in a song that would never be played uncensored on radio goo goo or radio gaga. Her attitude cuts like a knife on this one.

Best Part: The sizzle before the chorus breaks gets me every time.

9/10

Old Money

Aah who knew money could be so beautiful and leave you feeling so empty... Born to Die’s fading glamour returns for one final bow before the curtain falls. Lana sings in her lower register reminiscent of her breakout hit Video Games. This song plays like a sequel to Young and Beautiful, the theme song from The Great Gatsby with Lana looking back on her past with tender memories of her faded carefree youth.

Best Part: Will you still love me when I shine from words but not from beauty.

10/ 10

The Other Woman

A jazzy cover closes the standard edition of the album. Lana sings about the other woman in her man’s life. Lana proclaims to be the true love in her man’s life and 'the other woman' will be the one who ends up all alone.

Best Part: When her vocals break slightly in the chorus.

8/10

Black Beauty

After an unfortunate leak; the song has been re-arranged into a moody slow rock number. It’s almost sad to see this song tacked on as a bonus track as this is my favourite track on the record. But I am glad it was officially released. Lana tries everything to win over her man who seems depressed and clueless about love. I’m almost sure this would have been a single if it hadn’t been leaked online a few months ago.

Best Part: The whole song

10/10

Guns and Roses

The only track I could do without on the record. It kind of plunders along in a moody electronic rock ambience but doesn’t really go anywhere for me. Maybe it’s a grower. Time will tell.

Best Part: When it ends

5 /10

Florida Kilos

A fun, somewhat out of place track, compared to the rest of the album. It’s the most pop sounding track on the record and has a Britney style vocal with an irresitable summer vibe.

Best Part: Yayo, yayo, yayo

8/10

Exactly how I felt about it. After my 1st listening I was disappointed and thought every song sounds equal. 2nd & 3rd listening, I was impressed and put it on my iPod to listen to it pretty loud for the 4th time. Now I can't stop anymore. Haven't listened to anything else since June 13th ... it takes you to another place & time.

I'm sorry to dig up this old topic again, but i want to know it one last time:
The first released single version of West Coast, which feautures the higher notes in the chorus (especially the second one) and was released as the "official audio-video" is now called the "Rob Orton Mix" yeah?

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I'm sorry to dig up this old topic again, but i want to know it one last time:

The first released single version of West Coast, which feautures the higher notes in the chorus (especially the second one) and was released as the "official audio-video" is now called the "Rob Orton Mix" yeah?

Yes.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

For those who wants Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence (All Bonus Tracks Included) in REAL full 320 kbps ripped from original cd's (french FNAC & German DELUXE editions), just send a pm !
"Is This Happiness" is from iTunes m4a AAC PLUS guaranted.

Tracklist :

01-Cruel World
02-Ultraviolence
03-Shades Of Cool
04-Brooklyn Baby
05-West Coast
06-Sad Girl
07-Pretty When You Cry
08-Money Power Glory
09-Fucked My Way Up To The Top
10-Old Money
11-The Other Woman
12-Black Beauty
13-Guns And Roses
14-Florida Kilos
15-Flipside (French Edition Bonus Track)
16-West Coast (Radio Mix) - (German Edition Bonus Track)
17-Is This Happiness (iTunes Bonus Track)

I have finally listened to the album in its entirety, and I must say "Sad Girl" is my absolute favorite. It reaks of so much blues and soul, much of what I have never heard from Lana before.

"Cruel World" is my second favorite. She comes across as a pained siren who has recently lost her mind, and I love the liberties she takes in expressing this. She is FREE. There is a fire in the vocal, an agression. As someone else stated earlier in this thread, she literally screams at varying degrees throughout the song when communicating each lyric. It is an amazing song, and I loved it immediately. I would have loved a "rock break" during the bridge, a la "Shades of Cool."

"The Other Woman" has also left an impression on me as of now. Lana shows her ass, especially in the middle of the track, where she shoots off that vocal acrobatic that lets us know she has not missed a single vocal lesson. She sings this song with such control and grace, and in that way she pays a wonderful homage to the iconic Nina Simone.

All in all, I agree with others who say this album, for all of its beauty and power, is an acquired taste, an album that must be listened to quite a few times to pick up all the nuances.

Old Money

Aah who knew money could be so beautiful and leave you feeling so empty... Born to Die’s fading glamour returns for one final bow before the curtain falls. Lana sings in her lower register reminiscent of her breakout hit Video Games. This song plays like a sequel to Young and Beautiful, the theme song from The Great Gatsby with Lana looking back on her past with tender memories of her faded carefree youth.

Best Part: Will you still love me when I shine from words but not from beauty.

10/ 10

This was a really nice read, I love what you wrote about Old Money. Now that you say, her vocals in the verses really are like in Video Games. I didn't notice that before. :flutter:

My fave part is the "I'll run run run" after the second chorus :flutter:

Since every body is doing it:

1. Black Beauty

2. Shades Of Cool

3. Fucked My Way Up To The Top

4. Brooklyn Baby

5. Money Power Glory

6. ULTRAVIOLENCE

7. Sad Girl

8. Cruel World / Old Money

9. The Other Woman

10. Is This Happiness

11. West Coast

12. Pretty When You Cry

13. Flip Side

14. Florida Kilos

15. Guns n Roses

My favs/rankings change everyday lol

At first, Old Money was my fav but now it's too sad to listen to. And I don't like Sad Girl initially but it's creeping up to be my fav... I keep going back to it.

Shades Of Cool video makes the song 10x better.., I love it so much now.

Lazy bitch. She's starting to lose to that Sam Smith guy in the US. The boy is promoting like hell and he is no.1 on US itunes. Her no.1 debut on BB200 is in serious doubt now. 

She's not decreasing tho, the gap is the same, BUT it will change if nothing happens