Born to Die vs Ultraviolence

211 members have voted

1. 1. BTD or UV.

• BTD
    • UV
    • Can't decide
    • I like both equally

Paradise is terrible lyrically and American, Gods &Monsters and BE are dreadful

What a completely messy opinion. G&M and BE are written very well--maybe you just don't understand the lyrics?

Paradise has some fine lyrics!

I couldn't decide at first but now I think Ultraviolence is superior to BTD. I never thought she could do it. I thought BTD was already crazy good but Ultraviolence is even better for me.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

About darkness, which songs are even really dark, - as dark as Carmen, BE, G&M - are?

Old Money has sad undertones, The Other Woman is more open in the same vein, Black Beauty is kind of a downer. Sad Girl has some dark undertones, the darkest song might be Shades of Cool along with Cruel World. For example, WC and Brooklyn Baby are more light summery songs, MPG is kind of quirky, FMWUTTT is more about being mean. It's good that Lana has produced an overall more ligh-hearted body of work, maybe it's a reflection that she is at least a bit happier than before her fame days.

About darkness, which songs are even really dark, - as dark as Carmen, BE, G&M - are?

Old Money has sad undertones, The Other Woman is more open in the same vein, Black Beauty is kind of a downer. Sad Girl has some dark undertones, the darkest song might be Shades of Cool along with Cruel World. For example, WC and Brooklyn Baby are more light summery songs, MPG is kind of quirky, FMWUTTT is more about being mean. It's good that Lana has produced an overall more ligh-hearted body of work, maybe it's a reflection that she is at least a bit happier than before her fame days.

What about the the title song? "I can hear sirens, sirens/He hit me and felt like a kiss/I can hear violins, violins" has very dark undertones to me. PWYC is psychologically twisted, whilst ITH ironically portrays a dismal relationship.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Guest Dot

Isn't it kind of unfair to let these two compete against each other when one of them has only been out for less than a month, or so...?

I think we should make this poll again in two years and see which one had the greater staying power.

Old Money has sad undertones, The Other Woman is more open in the same vein, Black Beauty is kind of a downer. Sad Girl has some dark undertones, the darkest song might be Shades of Cool along with Cruel World. For example, WC and Brooklyn Baby are more light summery songs, MPG is kind of quirky, FMWUTTT is more about being mean. It's good that Lana has produced an overall more ligh-hearted body of work, maybe it's a reflection that she is at least a bit happier than before her fame

days.

I agree with you on the point that most of tge songs have a dark undertone rather than a completely dark "shell." "Pretty When I Cry" is the exception, IMO, as is, as someone else stated, "Ultraviolence." Those songs to me not only speak to periods of desolation but also a sort of heavy darkness in which both female subjects are cast into by their significant others. Also, the vocal deliveries of both songs seem deliberately downtrodden, pained, and dark, almost soaked in jet blackness.

What about the the title song? "I can hear sirens, sirens/He hit me and felt like a kiss/I can hear violins, violins" has very dark undertones to me. PWYC is psychologically twisted, whilst ITH ironically portrays a dismal relationship.

Oh, right!

Somehow Ultraviolence [song] didn't even cross my mind when I was writing that comment, maybe because it doesn't seem dark to me, for me it's full of melancholy, like recalling sweet memories, mostly because of the bridge and the part before that.

We interpret songs differently though and that's a good thing