naachoboy

Born to Die vs Ultraviolence

211 members have voted

1. 1. BTD or UV.

• BTD
    • UV
    • Can't decide
    • I like both equally

As iconic as Born To Die was... I feel like Ultraviolence is on a higher level sonically and lyrically. BTD has a lot more "filler" tracks than UV for sure.

I feel that way too.   :agree:

Born To Die was great and iconic, but in my opinion, UV is much better in terms of lyrics and overall sound (songs like Black Beauty, Cruel World, Old Money, West Coast, Is This Hapiness). Whole album sounds more well-planned and creative. The production is unique and raw,  it really fits her. :flutter: BTD < UV :hair:  

cooking up a dream, turning diamonds into snow

Finally played the album last night.

Much like Born To Die I initially felt ambivalent towards her new work. Ultraviolence is slow, croony and very moody. I initially felt underwhelmed, much like I did with BTD. Listening through BTD was much easier that UV. UV is emotionally draining, the instrumentals are beautiful and very complex. At times I felt discouraged with the quality of the vocals (on some tracks its higher, on others lower, sometimes you can hardly understand her) but then I accepted the fact that this is all part of the sound she is channeling. 

However, now that I am playing the songs individually and getting to know them they are slowly growing appealing to me. I think it's ridiculous to state which song is better or which album is superior because both albums are separate works of art in my mind.

Highlights during my first play: Shades of Cool, Pretty When You Cry, FMWUTTT, The Other Woman, Black Beauty, Florida Kilos

BTD is pure pop bliss mixed with 60's glamour,hip hop beats and very glossy production. It is imo a little too over produced. :eek:

UV is a diffrent beast altogether. It's a vicious dark brooding album and sonically its a much better body of work. Yes the production is gritty but the overall sound is coherent unlike BTD which was genre bending all over the place.

Imo UV is the better album however BTD will always hold a special place in my heart for so many reasons. But if I had to choose it would be UV.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I love the production on BTD a lot more, but then again, you have UV with songs like FK and OM which I fell in love with. I like how Lana's voice is kind of muffled out on a couple of the songs, where it sounds kind of slurred/blurred. I honestly hated UV when I first heard WC because of how different it was and how you can't understand the bridge, but then the other songs released and the album leaked and I find that I like it a lot more than I expected myself to. Of course, BTD is a gem but UV has become one of my favorite albums and it's a diamond imo. I just love the lyrics, the raw stripped down feel of it, the cuteness of OM... 
Don't get my wrong, BTD was cute too with songs like DMD and Lolita, but I honestly think UV has more... more emotion and more feelings to it? Does that make any sense? 

tumblr_mmtpxe9hDJ1qjdybto5_500.jpg

I need more distance to give a fair answer, but right now Ultraviolence is serving as a sonic baptism for me and I am totally shattered by it. 

Born To Die was the essential provocative pop riddle/paradox needed to first ingratiate the public. Now Lana has permission to do anything she wants, and she damn well may be able to bring guitars back into vogue with this record. Who would have thought?

Anyone who doesn't feel her visceral power as a woman, poet, and human being on UV isn't even listening. 

For now I feel more connected to BTD because I’ve been trough everything with it, It caused so much emotions and with every song I have a different emotional connection although I didn't like every song in the album it has brought me so much but after a while UV will grow more and more to me and then I can truly say which I like more, My feeling says that's it very possible that eventually I will even feel more connected to UV. anyway time will learn and the albums are both masterpieces in my opinion. 

“It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.” ― Oscar Wilde

Ultraviolence succeeds everywhere that Born to Die failed, and then does even more. The production, lyrics, vocals, overall theme, execution, all of it is so much better and more thought out than Born to Die. Born to Die doesn't feel like a natural work - lots of the songs were changed from amazing demos & pushed into the "sad core gangsta" sound and it just didn't work for lots of those songs.

Everything on UV feels genuine and I just can't say the same about BTD.

14417469274.gif

Ahhhhh all are amazing though!  :icant: 
Born to Die was literally life-changing...but Ultraviolence is just asdfghjkl. Personally, I prefer slower, brooding, bordering on depressing songs (my music style counteracts my *ahem* happy-go-lucky nature ;) )....So ultraviolence is perfect in my opinion. I adore Born to Die- National Anthem, Without You, Summertime Sadness <3 Oh but Dark Paradise aswell...... but for me Paradise was excellent- particularly Ride, Yayo, Bel Air, Body Electric...(so basically the whole album :')).
So really I've come to no conclusion here at all, except that they're all wicked

I'M BEING BRAVE NOW
I'm going Ultraviolence and Paradise. Bam
this was honestly difficult for me

I usually lean toward rock over pop, and I still prefer BTD. UV has a gorgeous sound, but it's a little too same-y. (I actually like eclectic albums. When I hear a project described as "cohesive," I immediately think "boring and repetitious.")

I'll definitely listen to UV more than BTD in the coming weeks. But I'll have to be in the right mood. (Low-key trippy.)

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Yes lyrically. Most of BTD is, in my opinion, just filled with words that sound pretty and go together well. UV has more depth and meaning.

Diet Mountain Dew, Carmen, Lolita, This Is What Makes Us Girls. UV has no fillers in my opinion.

??? shes got lyrics from other people and talking about 'her baby' and boyfriends in a lot of UV, how is that not filler and how is that depth? btd lyrics are far and away more story telling, entertaining and make more sense (this is what makes us girls, carmen, filler? are you kidding?). uv doesn't even have a 'OTTR' pssh.

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

Ultraviolence succeeds everywhere that Born to a Die failed, and then does even more. The production, lyrics, vocals, overall theme, execution, all of it is so much better and more thought out than Born to Die. Born to Die doesn't feel like a natural work - lots of the songs were changed from amazing demos & pushed into the "sad core gangsta" sound and it just didn't work for lots of those songs.

Everything on UV feels genuine and I just can't say the same about BTD.

Well it's all down to personal opinion but why would you say UV lyrics are better than BTD?

I mean come on....

SantanaWorried.gif

Feet don't fail me now

Take me to the finish line

All my heart, it breaks every step that I take

But I'm hoping that the gates,

They'll tell me that you're mine

Walking through the city streets

Is it by mistake or design?

I feel so alone on a Friday night

Can you make it feel like home, if I tell you you're mine

Or

Put my little red party dress on

Everybody knows that I'm the best, I'm crazy

Get a little bit of Bourbon in 'ya

Get a little bit suburban and go crazy

Because you're young, you're wild, you're free

You're dancing circles around me

You're fucking crazy

You're crazy for me

:eek:

I usually lean toward rock over pop, and I still prefer BTD. UV has a gorgeous sound, but it's a little too same-y. (I actually like eclectic albums. When I hear a project described as "cohesive," I immediately think "boring and repetitious.")

I'll definitely listen to UV more than BTD in the coming weeks. But I'll have to be in the right mood. (Low-key trippy.)

But how can you say UV is too same-y when BTD has similar strings, hip hop samples, loon noises, that specific guitar sound etc. throughout almost every song?  :crossed:

Well it's all down to personal opinion but why would you say UV lyrics are better than BTD?

I mean come on....

SantanaWorried.gif

Feet don't fail me now

Or

Put my little red party dress on

Everybody knows that I'm the best, I'm crazy

Get a little bit of Bourbon in 'ya

Get a little bit suburban and go crazy

Because you're young, you're wild, you're free

You're dancing circles around me

You're fucking crazy

You're crazy for me

:eek:

Born to Die has better lyrics? Really?

"Every time I close my eyes, it's like a dark paradise." Case closed.  :hottie:

Besides, it's completely redundant to compare lyrics from a verse to a chorus, which is what you did... so.  

14417469274.gif

But how can you say UV is too same-y when BTD has similar strings, hip hop samples, loon noises etc. throughout almost every song?  :crossed:

Born to Die has better lyrics? Really?

"Every time I close my eyes, it's like a dark paradise." Case closed.  :hottie:

Besides, it's completely redundant to compare lyrics from a verse to a chorus, which is what you did... so.

I agree that UV lyrics is better than BTD. But it's not fare to use DP lyrics as an example because that's probably the worst song she have ever made.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I mean come on....

SantanaWorried.gif

Feet don't fail me now

Or