Put my little red party dress on

Everybody knows that I'm the best, I'm crazy

Get a little bit of Bourbon in 'ya

Get a little bit suburban and go crazy

Because you're young, you're wild, you're free

You're dancing circles around me

You're fucking crazy

You're crazy for me

You don't see the irony in these lyrics? (just asking, i don't want to be rude)

I know it's all about personal taste, but in my opinion, Cruel World is one of her best songs.  :smile2:

cooking up a dream, turning diamonds into snow

I've only listened to Ultraviolence in it's entirety like 3 times (because I'm kind off busy crying over how perfect the new Linkin Park record is).

I like it so far and I can't wait till it lies on my shelf.... but it has nothing on Born to Die. It will always be my fave, because it's what made me love Lana in the first place. And even though I think that Ultraviolence is an improvement over Paradise, I miss how different songs were on Born to Die. Ultraviolence sounds kind off samey... don't get me wrong, it's in a good way... but still. idk, I probably need to listen to it more.

i am nothing and should be everything

But how can you say UV is too same-y when BTD has similar strings, hip hop samples, loon noises, that specific guitar sound etc. throughout almost every song?  :crossed:

The writing/tempo was more varied on BTD.  :crossed:  And how can you say "how can you say UV is too same-y" without going on to give examples of how UV is not same-y?  :D

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

You don't see the irony in these lyrics? (just asking, i don't want to be rude)

I know it's all about personal taste, but in my opinion, Cruel World is one of her best songs. :smile2:

I think I'd appreciate an explanation :-/

party.gif?w=1100

The writing/tempo was more varied on BTD. :crossed: And how can you say "how can you say UV is too same-y" without going on to give examples of how UV is not same-y? :D

Her vocal range is more varied on UV, by a loooot. You go from BTD-esque range (songs like Guns and Roses & West Coast) to much higher, which she didn't do very much in BTD. Songs like Shades of Cool, Pretty When You Cry, FMWUTTT & some other moments in a few other songs.

I feel like everyone is confusing the atmosphere the album creates with it being "too same-y." Just because it's a cohesive work doesn't mean all the songs are really similar. There's a huge amount of guitar used throughout the album but it's used in different ways, making different sounds. PWYC doesn't sound like SoC but they both rely on lots of guitar. Same for Florida Kilos. I mean, a few songs seem like siblings to me, yeah, but not nearly as same-y as songs were on BTD.

Nothing else on UV sounds like The Other Woman, FK, PWYC, ITH, Flipside, UV, FMWUTTT, Old Money. Etc. Yeah the tempo overall is less varied, with UV being a slower, brooding album, but that doesn't mean it's too same-y! BTD just uses a lot of the same sound effects in the same way in lots of the songs throughout, and usually unsuccessfully.

14417469274.gif

Her vocal range is more varied on UV, by a loooot. You go from BTD-esque range (songs like Guns and Roses & West Coast) to much higher, which she didn't do very much in BTD. Songs like Shades of Cool, Pretty When You Cry, FMWUTTT & some other moments in a few other songs.

I feel like everyone is confusing the atmosphere the album creates with it being "too same-y." Just because it's a cohesive work doesn't mean all the songs are really similar. There's a huge amount of guitar used throughout the album but it's used in different ways, making different sounds. PWYC doesn't sound like SoC but they both rely on lots of guitar. Same for Florida Kilos. I mean, a few songs seem like siblings to me, yeah, but not nearly as same-y as songs were on BTD.

Nothing else on UV sounds like The Other Woman, FK, PWYC, ITH, Flipside, UV, FMWUTTT, Old Money. Etc. Yeah the tempo overall is less varied, with UV being a slower, brooding album, but that doesn't mean it's too same-y! BTD just uses a lot of the same sound effects in the same way in lots of the songs throughout, and usually unsuccessfully.

:gclap:

I dont even know where to start :smokes3:

In terms of emotion and rawness....UV takes the cake. End of story. I think you're sonically confused if you think that BTD has more emotional variety than UV. 

Yes, BTD has more of the main-stream beats at times, and one of the main appeals of that album is that it had that fresh sound with such alternative vocals and lyrics. UV on the other hand is so perfectly dark. It is dark everywhere from the instrumentals to the lyrics.

Comparing any two sounds from the different records is ridiculous. Yes, they are BOTH good. But please do not waste your time comparing the likes of Diet Mtn Dew with Sad Girl. It's too different worlds. 

One thing that does bother me is that people are basing their opinions of UV on how BTD sounds. Think about it like this, if you continuously have the same sound on every record--people will get bored with you. UV is such a departure that any comparisons are just unjust. 

BTD= still a label-influenced album (let's be real)

UV= Lana getting her way and having the most stripped-back sound the label will allow.

Comparing any two sounds from the different records is ridiculous. Yes, they are BOTH good. But please do not waste your time comparing the likes of Diet Mtn Dew with Sad Girl. It's too different worlds.

But that's the point of this thread, to compare the albums. Yeah, they're very different, but they can still be compared in terms of aesthetics and such.

Besides, it's fun to discuss this stuff with everyone! I like proving people wrong. :hooker:

14417469274.gif

The sun also rises on those who fail to call

My life, it comprises of losses and wins and fails and falls

I can do it if you really, really like that

I know what you really want, b-baby

I can do it if you think you like that

You should run, boy, run

Vs

You're no good for me,

baby, you’re no good for me.

You’re no good for me,

but baby, I want you, I want you.

Diet Mountain Dew, baby, New York City.

Can we hit it now, low-down and gritty?

Do you think we’ll be in love forever?

Do you think we’ll be in love?

Baby, put on heart-shaped sunglasses

'cause we’re gonna take a ride.

I’m not gonna listen to what the past says,

I been waiting up all night.

:eek:

Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine,

Cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.

Red racing cars, sunset in vine,

The kids were young and pretty.

Where have you been? Where did you go?

Those summer nights seem long ago,

And so is the girl you used to call,

The Queen of New York City.

Vs

Kiss me in the d-a-r-k dark tonight

(D-a-r-k, do it my way)

Kiss me in the p-a-r-k park tonight

(P-a-r-k, let them all say)

Hey Lolita, hey! Hey Lolita, hey!

I know what the boys want, I'm not gonna play

Hey Lolita, hey! Hey Lolita, hey!

I paint my nails black,

I dye my hair a darker shade of brown

Cause you like your women Spanish, dark, strong and proud

I paint the sky black

You said if you could have your way

You'd make a night time of today

So it'd suit the mood of your song

Oh, what can I do?

Nothing, my sparrow blue

Oh, what can I do?

Life is beautiful but you don't have a clue

Sun and ocean blue

Their magnificence, it don't make sense to you

Vs

All my friends tell me I should move on

I'm lying in the ocean, singing your song

Ahhh, that's how you sang it

Loving you forever, can't be wrong

Even though you're not here, won't move on

Ahhh, that's how we played it

Every time I close my eyes

It's like a dark paradise

Did you really just contrast the flawless DMD lyrics with the mediocre ones?

Gurl that's a missed shot

tumblr_inline_mhw4liah1A1qz4rgp.gif

/DP is perfect bye

DMD lyrics are terrible and DP is cringeworthy...

You're so wrong sis :toofunny:

But well, It's good that at least one of us is right :whatever:

Of course music is subjective dah

You're so wrong sis :toofunny:

But well, It's good that at least one of us is right :whatever:

Of course music is subjective dah

Music is subjective!

Except for the fact that DMD is lyrically bad and DP is bad both sonically and lyrically....

I AM MY ONLY GOD

Born To Die. It's so special to me. I started listening to it having just started outpatient treatment for some issues and it was the first thing in a long time I loved because it made me feel free and young, rather than sad. I loved it on the very first listen, a couple of days before it was officially released and some of the demos were on YouTube. Ultraviolence is maybe the more mature record, possibly the "better" record but BTD will always be my favourite. Iconic for me.

I have gold in my veins

I miss the beats and strings of BTD. However, there is something about Ultraviolence that is able to transport you to a different era all together that BTD never was able to do. It was like a channeling of an energy of some sort, I'm not sure. But as of right now, ultraviolence beats BTD.

tumblr_inline_mr0bdqxfxY1qz4rgp.gif MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS... *duh*

Born To Die will always have a very special place in my heart. I could incessantly listen to every single song on that album. At this point, I like BTD better than UV.

Ultraviolence is more mature and takes on a different theme, though. It's definitely more solemn, stripped down, cinematic, and rock-influenced. UV is still growing on me, but I think it's a masterful album. The thing is - I don't think that all the songs on this album could be a single, unlike BTD.