Sitar

Lana Del Rey Defends Herself Against 'The Guardian' Controversy

It's amazing that I have the opportunity to post this because I legit sang this song into a fan today :toofunny: :flop:

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

It's amazing that I have the opportunity to post this because I legit sang this song into a fan today :toofunny: :flop:

can't believe i went for a jb joke over cher ;_; who am i????????

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

i get what you mean, but I don't necessarily agree with you. i think she's passionate about her music, but i think she's equally passionate about fame and the prospect of being revered/respected as an artist

i think lana LOVES fame. fame is the huge part of the drive that propels lana to do what she does. she lives and thrives for attention, for admiration. what she doesn't like is the negative aspects of fame: the criticism (deserved or undeserved), being subject to slander and lies, scrutiny, etc. she's not like (for lack of a better example), kurt, who probably could've lived in solitude, who felt he didn't deserve the admiration of his fans...

i think she's very success-orientated: perhaps not in the traditional sense of pushing records, selling units and climbing the charts, but in the sense of one day becoming revered, being liked and respected. ( and i don't think it was a coincidence that all of her idols are all these revered, iconic talents, that attained levels of god-like fame and admiration, with fans and/or critics...  (on another note, i find this new found interest in other grunge talents, like her spotify playlist or whatever, to be really disingenuous.... she's never mentioned being strongly influenced by those artists before....)

i also don't think it was a coincidence that lana decided to collaborate with a grammy-nominated artist who had gotten a great reception from the critics for his work. i think she was chasing the critics, tbh. 

my point is that i just don't think that there's this ~pure~ desire to create music and art (gurl was clearly pressed that she wasn't achieving any fame back when gaga was, and there wasn't nothing wrong with that). the real reason why lana's not going to quit is because she's just too hungry for fame and respect. She intentionally seeks out controversy, she's deliberately provocative and subversive. these are intentional acts, and i'm not convinced she does them ~purely for the art~.

Lana's gonna be singing her "satirical" MPG right at you. :point:

Despite her statements to the contrary, I think this is exactly right. You really hit the nail on the head. :gclap:

ha, she would never be able to give up all this to go back to making music on her laptop for herself

Although I could see her doing this after coming to the realization that the negative aspects are an unavoidable part of fame.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

She is very nervous about how Ultraviolence will be recieved, Has no one of you felt so nervous before doing something very important, like an exam or playing a football match, that you almost wished you were dead.  Or the suspense of waiting for the result of a HIV test. Some senior members on this board has always struck me as coldly intellectual. Mocking the highly emotianal Lana from their high horses. Well, she wouldn't be who she is or create the wonderful things she does if she was like you.

This might be a very dumb question, but is that really Ben Mawson? lol

Baby, I'm the real thing

Check, 1, 2

Blurrin' the lines between real and the fake

‘Cause I’m so close to the real thing

Yeah, I’m so close to the real thing

I’m so close to the real thing I could almost die... wait no, The Guardian will turn that into a headline like "Lana Del Rey's manager: 'I could... die'"

Has no one of you felt so nervous before doing something very important, like an exam or playing a football match

Or the suspense of waiting for the result of a HIV test. 

954.gif

that escalated quickly

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1h0d6zmin8g0

Some senior citizen members on this board has always struck me as coldly intellectual. Mocking the highly emotianal Lana from their high horses.

FIFY @@evilentity 

i think lana LOVES fame. fame is the huge part of the drive that propels lana to do what she does. she lives and thrives for attention, for admiration. what she doesn't like is the negative aspects of fame: the criticism (deserved or undeserved), being subject to slander and lies, scrutiny, etc. she's not like (for lack of a better example), kurt, who probably could've lived in solitude, who felt he didn't deserve the admiration of his fans...

I don't understand why so many people seem to think that this is so unusual, or specific to Lana. I'll also put my hand up as someone who enjoys being successful and being liked, more than I like being abused, in my work and in my life.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I don't understand why so many people seem to think that this is so unusual, or specific to Lana. I'll also put my hand up as someone who enjoys being successful and being liked, more than I like being abused, in my work and in my life.

It's not, but I was trying to clarify that I thought that Lana has both an artistic desire and the desire to be respected/admired as an artist, and the latter largely influences her career decisions 

It's not, but I was trying to clarify that I thought that Lana has both an artistic desire and the desire to be respected/admired as an artist, and the latter largely influences her career decisions 

It's almost like she's a human being.

It's almost like she's a human being.

I was responding to the many people i have seen on this forum who think that lana's sole motivation is to materialize her inner world and pointing out a different facet. yes, she has the very human desire of being respected and admired and there are many dynamic motivations and desires at play. and yeah, these are all very human things, although ultimately, i prefer bear things :flop:

Orphaned-Polar-Bear-Cub-005.jpg

Ya, bear things are great  :)

Sorry if I sounded pissy, but I was responding to this weird idea that is in popular culture that there is a way to be successful in the music industry by being pure and accidentally stumbling on success, and then there's Lana, who is a careerist backed by money. If Rob was a multi-billionaire, he still wouldn't have the money of the huge corporations behind the record labels, and if money could buy a career, then major labels would never sign anyone who became a flop. There is nobody at any level of the music industry beyond local bar bands who isn't driven by ambition, and even the artists who seem to go out there with a 'fuck you' attitude are in it for the love by the 'right people',

Nirvana ditched their indie label when they realised they had a shot at the big time, and jumped over to DGC [and to the hot producers of their day], only to discover that selling millions of records meant that there were a lot of shitheads who were singing along at their concerts. Dave Grohl could handle it, Kurt couldn't. Neither of them is morally superior - it's just how different people can be. Lana is a mess of contradictions, but all of them make sense within the context of somebody trying to build a career doing what she is doing.

Ya, bear things are great  :)

Sorry if I sounded pissy, but I was responding to this weird idea that is in popular culture that there is a way to be successful in the music industry by being pure and accidentally stumbling on success, and then there's Lana, who is a careerist backed by money. If Rob was a multi-billionaire, he still wouldn't have the money of the huge corporations behind the record labels, and if money could buy a career, then major labels would never sign anyone who became a flop. There is nobody at any level of the music industry beyond local bar bands who isn't driven by ambition, and even the artists who seem to go out there with a 'fuck you' attitude are in it for the love by the 'right people',

Nirvana ditched their indie label when they realised they had a shot at the big time, and jumped over to DGC [and to the hot producers of their day], only to discover that selling millions of records meant that there were a lot of shitheads who were singing along at their concerts. Dave Grohl could handle it, Kurt couldn't. Neither of them is morally superior - it's just how different people can be. Lana is a mess of contradictions, but all of them make sense within the context of somebody trying to build a career doing what she is doing.

I agree with what you said :3

I would like to welcome you to the community, mostly because a) You like bear things and b) you have an animal as your avi!! We need more cool people around LB :flop:

(I have a goal of one day making everyone have animal avis and it has yet to be materialized) 

I don't think the point was that this was unusual. I think the point was to contradict the claim Lana has often made recently that she's not interested in fame at all, but she clearly is interested in the positive aspects, just not the negative ones. And also that being respected as an artist may be more important to her than her art itself.

She is very nervous about how Ultraviolence will be recieved, Has no one of you felt so nervous before doing something very important, like an exam or playing a football match, that you almost wished you were dead.  Or the suspense of waiting for the result of a HIV test. Some senior members on this board has always struck me as coldly intellectual. Mocking the highly emotianal Lana from their high horses. Well, she wouldn't be who she is or create the wonderful things she does if she was like you.

I'm so vain I probably think this quote is about me. (Though I'm going to ignore the offensive implication that analytical types can't also be creative.) I don't have a problem with her saying she wished she was dead. I do have a problem with her attacking a journalist just for quoting her saying that. To push the absurdity of your HIV example: If I fucked around a bunch without wearing a condom and I didn't like the result of my HIV test I wouldn't go blaming the doctor.

Oh, and BTW, I'll give up my high horse when you pry it from my cold, dead intellect. :P

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.