Sign in to follow this  
evilentity

Listen: NYT Popcast "Lana Del Rey, Downcast Superstar" discusses LDR, Ultraviolence

can someone explain to me what he meant when he said: 

"it couldn't have been just that people were irritated by the projection of a beautiful loser persona... cause we're so used to that. we play that game really well." 

we're so used to what, exactly? what game, exactly? i don't understand certain things about unspoken, 'adult' dynamics and so i'm thinking this may be one of them 

ZRBNill.jpg

can someone explain to me what he meant when he said:

"it couldn't have been just that people were irritated by the projection of a beautiful loser persona... cause we're so used to that. we play that game really well."

we're so used to what, exactly? what game, exactly? i don't understand certain things about unspoken, 'adult' dynamics and so i'm thinking this may be one of them

we're used to the persona of a beautiful loser - as a society, we love people who are self-depreciative. people who are confident in themselves are often criticised for being arrogant, yet individuals who are insecure are glamorised. Lana is a beautiful loser, as she is aesthetically stunning but is rather insecure about herself, which we appear to love.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

we're used to the persona of a beautiful loser - as a society, we love people who are self-depreciative. people who are confident in themselves are often criticised for being arrogant, yet individuals who are insecure are glamorised. Lana is a beautiful loser, as she is aesthetically stunning but is rather insecure about herself, which we appear to love.

but i don't understand why he referred to it as a game? i'm still not even sure i understand what games are 

ZRBNill.jpg

but i don't understand why he referred to it as a game? i'm still not even sure i understand what games are

I think because if you don't have low self-esteem, you 'lose' but if you're insecure, you 'win' the support of the people.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I think because if you don't have low self-esteem, you 'lose' but if you're insecure, you 'win' the support of the people.

hmm. that makes a lot of sense, but i think i'm still being thrown off by his wording? "we're so used to that, we play that game really well

almost as if it really had nothing to do with being in the spotlight. it seems as if he included himself in the 'game', as if he were referring to something general and... human? i'm also confused because the comment was delivered in such a nonchalant manner 

@@evilentity? help pls 

ZRBNill.jpg

hmm. that makes a lot of sense, i think i'm just being thrown off by his wording? "we're so used to that, we play that game really well

almost as if it really had nothing to do with being in the spotlight. it seems as if he included himself in the 'game', as if he were referring to something general and... human? i'm still so confused because the comment was delivered in such a nonchalant manner too

@@evilentity? help pls

I think @ pretty much summed it up. The reason 'we' are included in the 'game' is because we're as much a part of it as the celebrities are. We are the ones who judge the people in the public eye. It is definitely societal and we are creatures of society, but whether that is something innately human is up for debate, I guess.

Life is awesome, I confess. What I do, I do best.

I think @ pretty much summed it up. The reason 'we' are included in the 'game' is because we're as much a part of it as the celebrities are. We are the ones who judge the people in the public eye. It is definitely societal and we are creatures of society, but whether that is something innately human is up for debate, I guess.

I think society plays a huge role. It seems that in the 90s we were deluged with "beautiful losers" in the form of slacker culture. But it's innately human to express confidence or humility in varying degrees, both of which can be good things. I guess it's the affectation of either one that can be particularly grating. And when a personality style becomes culturally sort of mandated, the outliers who don't fit the pattern understandably resist.

I'm just tired of watching the pendulum swing. I wish we could find a way to not just co-exist, but appreciate each other's diverse styles of coping with the world.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png