Sign in to follow this  
GodBlessMe

Ultraviolence Video Interpretation.

Yeah who am I kidding , ARTPOP is way better than UV. 

Hmm....that really makes me think.

To me UV definitely has more replay value, but yeah, if Lana did a couple of songs like MANiCURE, G.U.Y and Applause it would be really interesting to hear

I'd still choose UV, although it's mostly because Lana is my favorite singer

ok first of all everyone please just be cautious with the gaga comparisons because lana is a completely different artist in so many ways. lana would never sing anything off of arptop because she doesn't play the role of postmodern pop star as gaga does. i love artpop and ultraviolence equally but they are completely different in terms of the story they tell.

second of all, the video to me was pretty pointless. the orange is obviously referring to a clockwork orange, but i don't see any depth or even any poetry in the video. this video does remind me of the video for the edge of glory, just because it's pointless (not because gaga and lana should be compared subjectively) but i just can not get anything intellectual out of this video.

User-FastFission-brain.gif       let's change our DNA

ok first of all everyone please just be cautious with the gaga comparisons because lana is a completely different artist in so many ways. lana would never sing anything off of arptop because she doesn't play the role of postmodern pop star as gaga does. i love artpop and ultraviolence equally but they are completely different in terms of the story they tell.

second of all, the video to me was pretty pointless. the orange is obviously referring to a clockwork orange, but i don't see any depth or even any poetry in the video. this video does remind me of the video for the edge of glory, just because it's pointless (not because gaga and lana should be compared subjectively) but i just can not get anything intellectual out of this video.

Lana is a lot more post modern then Gaga, don't let the vintage filters blind you. 

glgcDdT.gif

I agree that the video is pretty hard to swallow but if you look at it from a more insightful point of view, the things it's trying to show are pretty clear. Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my first language.

First, the quality. I've seen people commenting that the video was boring and poorly made. The video was meant to represent "abusive relationships" as a whole. It is a video anyone could have done with his or her Iphone. That is the idea. These things happen. They are real. The persons commenting thought it was "boring" because they failed to see the videos' primary purpose was not to entertain. It was to tell a story of our immediate reality. The video was meant to be meanigful to everyone that took it as more than pretty images that played next to a song.

Next, the orange. I am honestly baffled nobody seemed to get this. Oranges are citrus, which in turn are known to be SOUR. Even so depending on your tastes, you might find the orange SWEET. Eh, see the connection?

What in reality can represent a bad, "sour" thing, was percieved as sweet by the girl an abusive relationship. Violence was love.

Finally, people complaining that the video was just Lana walking. It was a psyhical and emotional trip. The girl looks back, tries to hide, is unsure of herself, does romantic gestures to make sure she is still loved, stops, but in the end keeps hoing.

Her outfit and poise are not glamorous because there is rarely glamour in these things, never, from an outside perspective.

People trying to pull a plot out of this video are going to be disappointed. There is no plot, there isn't supposed to be a plot. It's purpose is to capture the atmosphere of the song and deliver striking, evocative images that linger in one's mind. While I don't agree with all of insomnia's specific interpretations (I feel the idea is for each person to interpret it as they see fit), I do agree that doing it on the cheap, shooting it on an iphone themselves, is a big part of the point. It's intimate, and even dangerous. (They seem to be trespassing?) Has anyone ever seen the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock? I see the video as a sort of condensed version of that film, at least in it's intentions. There are no answers, just vague hints that are wide open for interpretation. I also feel like it truly captures Lana's personality, it feels very much like "her", if that makes sense. It could be argued that in terms of intent, purpose, and capturing Lana as an artist, it is her most fully realized video so far. I predict that a few years down the line a lot of the people disappointed by it will come around to it, and that it will actually be a big fan favorite.

i like my candy and your heroin

I really love this video; think it's one of her best -- it feels like the beginning of a bad relationship, the beautiful start when everything is perfect and happy ... when you have NO idea it's about to go really wrong.  The long walk to the church is very meditative, laced with moments of joy and moments of melancholy.  Then she arrives at the altar, the dove is on the floor, and there is no one there, and you realize she wasn't walking towards anything after all.  It reminds me of the last page of the Great Gatsby, when Nick says that Gatsby thought he had everything before him, when in reality it was already behind him. 

A lot of people are saying that the video has no meaning.

If that's so, how do you explain the chatter at the end?

"Are you looking for someone?"

"He's gone."

LOL, you are terribly confused. He says "ok there's someone!" they are filming this in private, then Lana says "He's gone"

image.png