RileyThomas

Paradise Lost Competition: Challenge #3 - This Is What Makes A Burning Desire

Congratulations remaining 9 players, you have reached Challenge #3 of Paradise Lost. You can check out who still remains in the competition here. As this weeks challenge is a team challenge again, each team will be scored out of ten. Neal & HunterAshlyn, as you won the last challenge, you are immune from this challenges elimination. So, if your team loses, then Mattiern will automatically leave the competition.

Challenge #3 - This Is What Makes A Burning Desire

This weeks challenge will test your visual, creative & editing skills as you will be creating the promotional music video for Lana's upcoming re-release. As you know, Lana has decided to release Burning Desire as the promotional single for the album to tie in with her campaign for Jaguar. However, Lana has noticed that her fans really love the song This Is What Makes Us Girls from her original Born To Die album, so has decided that she wants to create a home-made video for this song too. You must create a home-made vintage Lana style music video for either This Is What Makes Us Girls or Burning Desire.

You must use old vintage film in your video, as well as any footage you find appropriate for the song that you've chosen. You can also include bits of footage from any of Lana's music video's if you'd like her to be included in your entry. You can upload your video to either YouTube or Vimeo, or you can send me a download link, however if you don't publicly upload it then the other contestants won't be able to watch it when I give my feedback. You have a lot of creative freedom on this one, I'm not giving you much guidelines, so do what you think is best.

As this is another team challenge, you are required to only submit one video per team. You have until Friday 5th October at Midnight UK Time. I will let you know that this will be a double elimination, so their will be two losing teams, and each of those losing teams will lose one player. Good luck.

Results

The Ride Or Die Bitches scored = 9 points!

Hey Lucas Hey, Mommy's Mercedes, SitarHero

Children Of The Bad Revolution scored = 10 points!

Neal, HunterAshlyn, Matttiern

The GoGo Dancers scored = 8 points!

GaGaOopsy, PaigeDelRey, Hundred Dollar Bill

Which means that the Children Of The Bad Revolution are this weeks winners and are therefore immune from elimination!

Commiserations to this weeks losers, The GoGo Dancers & The Ride Or Die Bitches. You two are up for elimination.

Winning team: The Children of The Bad Revolution (10)

Losing team: The GoGo Dancers (8) & The Ride Or Die Bitches (9)

Eliminated player: PaigeDelRey & Mommy Mercedes

tumblr_mbs9cbxgQB1qh9kaoo1_500.gif

Double elimination

ugh, stomach's churning

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

This is kind of unfair for people who can't afford video-making software/are unable to download it. I feel like this challenge is kind of directly aimed at one member since he always makes cool Lana videos, and no one else has shown the capability to do it, nevertheless do it well. I feel like there should be an alternative for people who can't get the resources to do this/have absolutely no experience with it.

14417469274.gif

Guys, I'm not asking for much. It's pretty simple. Use Movie Maker or iMovie depending if you have Windows or Mac, they come free with your computer. Cutting up some film footage and adding it to a track isn't that hard. You could all mail each other with concepts and have one team member create the video. This challenge isn't just aimed at one person, it's for all of you. It's also called a challenge for a reason. Some are meant to be harder than others, but whether you pull it through and create a good entry determins whether you are strong enough to win the competition.

This is kind of unfair for people who can't afford video-making software/are unable to download it. I feel like this challenge is kind of directly aimed at one member since he always makes cool Lana videos, and no one else has shown the capability to do it, nevertheless do it well. I feel like there should be an alternative for people who can't get the resources to do this/have absolutely no experience with it.

Howdy, I know I'm not in the position to talk, but I looked at Lana collage videos and it took me a while to figure out what I'd need to make one myself. All I use is iMovie and Google chrome + the YouTube downloader extension, easy as that. I don't use ANYTHING else except those 3 things to make my video. My first video to "Carmen" was a hot mess really, it just was all over the place with timing and the sandwiching in of Laura Palmer clips *shudders*, but nonetheless. I suggest since you have a few days, if you have a mac use iMovie, download Chrome if you don't have it already, and then search for the YouTube downloader extension - if you need any help finding it - just message me :) With the few days you have once you have that equipment, (note, if you don't have iMovie, I'm sure possibly Windows Movie Maker can work as well - or just illegally download Sony Vegas or Final Cut) practice cutting and pasting clips to the beats of the songs. I usually pay attention to what instrument is providing the strongest mood of the verse and cut and paste clips to the beat of that instrument and that way it flows the best. I'm really sorry if what I'm saying makes no sense. Also, I felt the same way for the last challenge, I have no photo editing skills whatsoever, so I found it nearly impossible to compete with these other people that post amazing covers in the Fan Art section. Also, I'm sure once all you start making the collage video, your videos will be better than mine ;)

It's also called a challenge for a reason. Some are meant to be harder than others, but whether you pull it through and create a good entry determins whether you are strong enough to win the competition.

:imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

Ugh, you're right. Sorry for complaining.

Howdy, I know I'm not in the position to talk, but I looked at Lana collage videos and it took me a while to figure out what I'd need to make one myself. All I use is iMovie and Google chrome + the YouTube downloader extension, easy as that. I don't use ANYTHING else except those 3 things to make my video. My first video to "Carmen" was a hot mess really, it just was all over the place with timing and the sandwiching in of Laura Palmer clips *shudders*, but nonetheless. I suggest since you have a few days, if you have a mac use iMovie, download Chrome if you don't have it already, and then search for the YouTube downloader extension - if you need any help finding it - just message me :) With the few days you have once you have that equipment, (note, if you don't have iMovie, I'm sure possibly Windows Movie Maker can work as well - or just illegally download Sony Vegas or Final Cut) practice cutting and pasting clips to the beats of the songs. I usually pay attention to what instrument is providing the strongest mood of the verse and cut and paste clips to the beat of that instrument and that way it flows the best. I'm really sorry if what I'm saying makes no sense. Also, I felt the same way for the last challenge, I have no photo editing skills whatsoever, so I found it nearly impossible to compete with these other people that post amazing covers in the Fan Art section. Also, I'm sure once all you start making the collage video, your videos will be better than mine ;)

Thank you for the advice! I'm sure your video will be awesome. :)

14417469274.gif

I'm confused, do we all make a video seperately and they get scored individually and then added together or do we do one video together?

As this is another team challenge, you are required to only submit one video per team.

Been putting a lot of work into this, it's pretty fun :D

Don't upload your entries to YouTube, guys. Even already released songs get BLOCKED. Looks like I need to make a Vimeo account...

I can't access Vimeo atm. Yeah, I guess uploading BD gonna get instant block.

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

Well I have all 3 submissions! And it's only 6 hours to go until the deadline (You guys are getting better). I can't wait to watch them, although it's sad because two of you are going to be leaving and I have some fun challenges coming up! This elimination will be a little different, as the 2 losing teams will have to nominate one person from their own team to leave + give reasons on this thread! Oooohh get your claws out kitty's!

Judging!

The Ride Or Die Bitches:

Video:

[media=300x300]

[/media]

Team's entry description: Just to give you a sense of the direction I was going without blindly trying to judge: I chose "Burning Desire" because I thought it would be more of a challenge than "This is What Makes Us Girls". It's a pretty vague song and as far as imagery goes, at most it evokes fast cars and--if you wanna stretch--MAYBE fire. I wanted to try to come up with my own image for the song. I didn't reject the obvious, though; first I took some of the beautiful forlorn footage from the "Summertime Sadness" video (popularized in the recent Paradise Edition preview) and wound it between vintage car ads. Next, I decided to play off the sinister elements of the song, for the best temptress walks the line between seductive and insidious to get her way. Simply the way she almost moans "I've got a burning desire for you, baby" seems to imply that she doesn't intend to let it go unfulfilled. Playing on that, I used vintage horror clips of zombies zoning in on their prey. Although this video wasn't made by her, it's classic Lana with clips of old-fashioned idols (James Dean, for one, along with Marilyn Monroe performing "My Heart Belongs to Daddy", a title just too good to refuse) and sexy rockstars on stage--because I'm naughty, I used her own speculated ex-boyfriend, Jimmy Gnecco. To really make it cohesive with the visions of speeding cars it brings to mind in a less obvious way, I opened with James Dean's advertisement warning children against the dangers of driving fast and ended with the celluloid portrayal of his own ultimately fatal car crash. Hope you enjoy.

This music video is great! I really enjoyed watching it. I like you weren't too obvious by just adding clips of cars driving, but entwined it along with other themes such as passion & lust. I adore the Summertime Sadness outtakes you used, they were very well placed and added a sense of realism to the video. Before I read your description I was confused about why you put a guy singing on stage into your video, however after reading that it's in fact Jimmy Gnecco I understand now. Another good point to your video is that it ended with a message, a little clip to finish off the song, which Lana does herself in many of her home-made videos. You edited the clips very well, and by implementing the theme of horror you have added a twist with the video and made it your own. The only negative thing, is that I feel that some of the clips are a bit overused, and if you look at the Video Games video etc... You see that she barely uses the same kind of visuals twice and keeps them short and concise. Over, well done to your team. Good effort!

Score: 9/10

:crying: But I want it. 9/10 is a death sentence in this competition, lbr.

If you take out the "s" in the "https" of the URL, I think the video embeds.