lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Pre-Release Thread

"I cannot mention the name now because the contracts are not signed, but I'm going to work in the next few days with a very great singer. A great singer. And if you call me in a few weeks I might be able to tell you what it is! It's one of my all-time favourite singers.

"[Lana Del Rey?] I don't know? Did you read something about that? Well... I have a few singers I'm planning to work with. In fact I started to work a little bit with David Guetta. So... do you know? It's difficult to answer the rumours, but... maybe. Maybe. I don't know."

What impeccable taste...

Well, Lana said the album was finished a few weeks ago so this doesn't sound very likely unless this interview is a few weeks old but for some reason was just released.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

For some reason I think it might be like The Antlers' Hospice. Like, musically beautiful - but when you look at the lyrics, they're really dark and almost "unlistenable" because of all the raw emotion. Only with more trip-hop influences pls

there is a light & it never goes out

For some reason I think it might be the like The Antlers' Hospice. Like, musically beautiful - but when you look at the lyrics, they're really dark and almost "unlistenable" because of all the raw emotion. Only with more trip-hop influences pls

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Reminds me of Mazzy Star, Wild Nothing, The Radio Dept, etc as well. 

But yes, Lana will probably incorporate this sound over a trip-hop beat.

I don't get this renewed interest in Moroder.  He was cheesy in the 70s-80s, forgotten in the 90s-00s, and now just because Daft Punk brings him back he's passed this threshold where he's considered "good".  Dude sucks, there's a reason why Italo Disco didn't take in the U.S.  He is so campy and doesn't realize it still after 40 years.

Yeah I get the Scarface soundtrack but it fit with the film, lest anyone remembers his abortion to Metropolis.

u6pq4c9.gif

I don't get this renewed interest in Moroder.  He was cheesy in the 70s-80s, forgotten in the 90s-00s, and now just because Daft Punk brings him back he's passed this threshold where he's considered "good".  Dude sucks, there's a reason why Italo Disco didn't take in the U.S.  He is so campy and doesn't realize it still after 40 years.

Yeah I get the Scarface soundtrack but it fit with the film, lest anyone remembers his abortion to Metropolis.

He is campy, but I think the atmospherics will work with Lana's vocals if he strips it down a bit a la some of the Scarface tracks.

Moroder has won three Academy Awards: Best Original Score for Midnight Express (1978); Best Song for "Flashdance...What a Feeling", from the film Flashdance (1983); and Best Song for "Take My Breath Away", from Top Gun (1986). Moroder also won two Grammy Awards.Well... at least critics like him... if he worked on UV maybe Lana this time can win some relevant awards

Moroder has won three Academy Awards: Best Original Score for Midnight Express (1978); Best Song for "Flashdance...What a Feeling", from the film Flashdance (1983); and Best Song for "Take My Breath Away", from Top Gun (1986). Moroder also won two Grammy Awards.Well... at least critics like him... if he worked on UV maybe Lana this time can win some relevant awards

He won those awards decades ago and even that doesn't really mean anything. Macklemore won four Grammys this year. And do awards really mean that much to you because they obviously don't to Lana.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I don't know maybe it's because I'm probably older than some of you or more into this kind of music -- but the only good contributions that Moroder did was with Donna Summer and even then it was proto-Italo (like "Hot Stuff").  Moroder was in-demand somewhat in the 80s, Berlin made "Take My Breath Away", it'd be hard for a producer to fuck that up, and no one remembers "What a Feeling" compared to "Maniac" from the same movie.  And if you want to pull the " he worked with David Bowie" card, it's probably because Bowie could never get Kraftwerk to work with him who he was absolutely enamored with.

Vangelis is cheesy as hell (but at least seems to have the self-awareness that Moroder seems to lack) and has won Grammys for scores too, but I wouldn't want him producing anything for anyone.

u6pq4c9.gif

Doesnt Moroder make disco music ? I dont know

Moroder does Italo Disco.  In the late 70s after the Bee Gees took over the world, there was a huge backlash in the US.  People filled a baseball park in Chicago even and smashed all their disco records on "Disco Sucks Day".  In Europe, disco never died though.  So you got a lot of Italian and German producers making one-off singles under a million different names.  They were all pretty cheesy because they're done in English and these people had not the best command of the language.  Punk was big in the UK and US during the early 80s then quickly died.  Eventually, it all kind of collided with New Wave which was more popular in the U.S. when synthesizers became cheaper and eventually digital in the late 80s.  Moroder was one of the few that made the crossover to the US partially because of his film work.

Niles Rodgers would be more considered a purer disco producer.  He's the one who did Daft Punk's last record and he's done a ton of others before that.  You know him when you hear him.  He was in Chic (they did the songs "Good Times" and "Le Freak" you might have heard).  His disco has that high-fret guitar sound to it, where as Moroder relies on an analog synthesizer hook.

So there's a short history lesson.

Honestly, I think Lana signed on solely because she likes Scarface and it's soundtrack.  Lana used to do camp a little more than she does now, so there might be some appeal there.

u6pq4c9.gif

He won those awards decades ago and even that doesn't really mean anything. Macklemore won four Grammys this year. And do awards really mean that much to you because they obviously don't to Lana.

Who can say that for Lana awards don't mean nothing? Maybe she is a little upset for the grammys or for young&beautiful not nominated for the oscars. We aren't in Lana's mind...

She didn't even go to the Grammys, why do you think she cares about them? Not every musician wants as many awards as possible.

She didn't even go to the Grammys, why do you think she cares about them? Not every musician wants as many awards as possible.

Of course! You're right! I think that too! I don't care if she win awards... she makes beautiful music that is important! And I think that UV won't disappoint anyone.

I don't know maybe it's because I'm probably older than some of you or more into this kind of music -- but the only good contributions that Moroder did was with Donna Summer and even then it was proto-Italo (like "Hot Stuff").  Moroder was in-demand somewhat in the 80s, Berlin made "Take My Breath Away", it'd be hard for a producer to fuck that up, and no one remembers "What a Feeling" compared to "Maniac" from the same movie.  And if you want to pull the " he worked with David Bowie" card, it's probably because Bowie could never get Kraftwerk to work with him who he was absolutely enamored with.

Vangelis is cheesy as hell (but at least seems to have the self-awareness that Moroder seems to lack) and has won Grammys for scores too, but I wouldn't want him producing anything for anyone.

I'm into this type of music as well (and I'm typically anti-camp) but the guy has done some incredible soundtrack work in the past when he restrains himself. 

I'm into this type of music as well (and I'm typically anti-camp) but the guy has done some incredible soundtrack work in the past when he restrains himself. 

I'll agree with that point, the problem is he hardly ever restrains himself.  I blame Daft Punk for all of this.

u6pq4c9.gif