Sadcore

How Long Have You Been a Fan and How Long Do You Think You Will Be?

I been a fan since The Music Ninja post introducing lana del ray in August 2011. Lana is one of my nine favorite singers and really a sweet person so I don't see myself not listening to her music five to ten years.

I'll be her fan as long as she records quality music and stays interesting. I hope that many years will pass before her golden age is over (admit it - every musician has one)...

i am nothing and should be everything

I'm a new fan... since maybe a month? i don't know... i mean i always liked lana's music, i met her when video games came out, but, i became a stan for her this year. And yes, i think i will like her music in 10 years.

tumblr_mu23eoC2GO1rfsim9o9_500.gif

At first, I disliked her because her face was all over Tumblr and it just looked fake to me. Then, one glorious day in April 2012, 'Video Games' was playing on the radio in a special moment for me. I realized how beautiful it was. I checked out a few other songs, such as Blue Jeans and Off To The Races which seemed cool as well but I didn't care too much. Theeeen, one day in late summer I saw that Summertime Sadness music video and it 'bewitched me, body and soul'. So, I decided that she was effing dope!

almost 2 years that's so crazy considering i only obsess over a musician for a couple months usually. and im still not sick of any of her songs. im gonna be like 80 and still stanning tbh  :derpna2:

edit omg thats embarrassing i already posted in this thread why do i have such a shit memory  :facepalm:

tumblr_n44ko1s3Pk1rkudelo1_400.gif

edit omg thats embarrassing i already posted in this thread why do i have such a shit memory :facepalm:

You're not the only one. And it is more embarrassing for me because I bet I am younger than you and I am suppose to have a better memory. I'm just as bad as my fifty-year-old mother...

Anyway, I honestly have to thank my cousin, because if it wasn't for her showing me Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl, then I wouldn't have become a KatyCat. And if I wouldn't have become a KatyCat, I wouldn't have discovered Lolita (the book). And if I wouldn't have discovered Lolita, I would have had no idea who Lana is. Everything in my life is somewhat linked.

Well, Katy Perry used to really sport Lolita fashion (her One of the Boys album cover's theme is Lolita. If you've watched the movies, you would see a definite connection) in 2008. And at first, I thought "Lolita" was a fashion brand, just a fashion brand. It wasn't until one night, around this time last year, that I looked it up and found a Wikipedia page, defining the novel extremely briefly. I was intrigued so I downloaded the sample from iBooks when I went to bed. I finished reading it in a couple of hours (I like to stay up late) and I wanted to continue reading it so on the next day, I found a PDF file of the full novel and downloaded it. I read the first forty or so pages on it but I then got fed up of reading it like that so I had been nagging Mum to take me to the library so I could "borrow a Katy Perry biography" - I wouldn't dare tell her the book I really wanted to borrow; an old, crazily controversial, outright inappropriate and disgusting (to many, but not to all) novel as Lolita! Luckily there is a self-serve borrowing system at the library so I could take that book home without a soul but mine knowing. The only problem was how was I to read it and keep it hidden from the world? I did somehow manage to do this but I told a few friends.

Oh, and one thing I must say, I had already knew of Lana's name, to be honest. I already knew of Cola because of a KatyCat friend on Twitter @ArabKittenOra liked Lana as well and another user she followed who's username I think was @lanaspepsipussy (I don't know if you're on here. If you are, WOW and I was @kewlkatycat or @thekatykat4eva then if you still remember. Lol it's been a very long time) and she was a Lana fanI. I had found out why this "Lana" had a "Pepsi pussy" because I listened to the beginning of Cola. But I think I thought it was too slow (I didn't even like Katy Perry's ballads) and whatnot and I also didn't like songs with titles that are not a phrase from the chorus (that has obviously changed).

Ages later, maybe around July or August, I had looked at Lolita's Wikipedia page again. But I searched it in the Wikipedia search bar and it came up with a lot of different terms. One of them was a song by an artist called "Lana Del Rey". That name rang a bell - that time I heard Cola. I thought I'd look it up on YouTube to hear how it sounds and I fell in love with it. I downloaded it on a free music downloader app, where I download all my digital songs, and I would always listen to it, but that is all I would do.

One day, I was looking up on YouTube to see if the Little Carmen song from Lolita (the part where Humbert and Lo are alone while Charlotte is at church and Lo is eating an apple and they're sitting on the couch) was real and if I could hear the full song. One of the results was a song called Carmen by that same artist, Lana Del Rey. I thought it was interesting seeming how closely Lolita and Carmen relate to the book. I had a listen and really liked the song. I think I may have downloaded it but I am not too sure.

Then, one day, this Lolita fan account on Instagram had posted the picture of Lana with the metal Lolita glasses. I had commented, stating that I think the singer is a fan of Lolita, mentioning about the songs I had discovered and how they are quite Lolita-like. Another person commented and mentioned Off To The Races and how Lana sings light of my life, fire of my loins in it. I had also checked out this song. Now, I had been convinced that she was into Lolita but I hadn't looked any further into her other songs, I just listened to those three over and over again.

But one time, after Katy's Roar had played on the radio and the radio host claiming the song to be number one in Australia at the time, they had played the remix of Summertime Sadness. I really liked the song and actually sung along to the chorus because I had learnt the lyrics. And then, when the song finished, the radio host said that the song was by Lana Del Rey, the artist I had just been introduced to and the artist who likes Lolita. I also downloaded Summertime Sadness, but the original version. And then a few days after, I thought I should check out her other songs and started downloading them all and I liked them all. And then I did a bit of research and watched some videos and I fell in love.

And that is how I became a Lana fan in detail!

So to answer the question of this thread, I became a Lana fan in August, 2013. I do not remember the exact date though.

And I believe I will love Lana until the end of time :heart: :heart:

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

I heard her song 'Video Games' in December 2011 and then 'Born To Die' early January 2012. I didn't enjoy the songs at the time but my mom decided to buy her album. The album was pre-ordered and it came early, like 3 days early. My mom had it in the car and kept playing it and surprisingly I had started to enjoy the music from 30th January 2012. I remember the exact date. However, I didn't call myself a fan. I was enjoying the music and giving her a chance at that moment of time. The time I became a fan would have been mid February 2012. I absolutely adored her then.

For the second question, I have no idea. I can't tell you what my answer would be for that because we don't know what will happen in time. My music taste has changed in so many different ways as I have grew older. When I was younger I would have NEVER liked this music. I was more in to pop music and Disney Channel music like Hannah Montana.  :facepalm:

But like you said on the first post, I don't think I'll dislike Lana anytime soon as of now. Her music may change in the future. It's like Lady Gaga, I still like her and all but her new album doesn't do justice for me, neither did her late album. Her first two albums were her best. Artists change their sounds and I feel Lana may do that in the future. But we'll see if we'll like her new sound in the future. 'West Coast' is great, I was a bit scared it would change on that. Was very wary. Unfortunately my mom doesn't like that song pretty much but she does still love Lana so I really thank my mom for making me a fan. 

But now she regrets it I bet LOL. I have her on loads now and I'm guessing she's getting sick and tired of hearing Lana now.  :P

:omfg:  :godlaugh:  :heart:

tumblr_nv3ubpr8ay1u9vsflo1_540.gif

When I was younger I would have NEVER liked this music. I was more in to pop music and Disney Channel music like Hannah Montana.  :facepalm:

Yeah, I was crazy over Hannah Montana when I was eight.  :crying5:  I got a pillow of her and it's in my bedroom and she stares at me every night... it's creepy...

And I only started liking this kind of music last year.

I found God Lana like April? 2012. I really hated her songs at first, but then I saw the light and stanned immediately. Blue Jeans was the song that got me hooked. I looked her up on Wikipedia and downloaded BTD and AKA right off the bat. Then I found like 5 unreleased songs and thought I had all her music (if only I knew  :derpna2: )

I think I could be a fan of her forever. I could go a long time without listening to an artist and still love them. Tbh I'm getting kind of burnt out on Lana right now though.. I need UV

I'm sorry I ramble a lot.

I feel like the newest fan...

I looked her up on Wikipedia and downloaded BTD and AKA right off the bat. [/size]

Yep, this is what I did.

I remember there was an issue of vogue I was flipping through in a grocery store, and there was the tiniest little pic of her in her flower crown, and it said listen to this: Diet Mtn Dew. Was hooked ever since. this was before she was super popular though, I'm gonna say it was early 2012?

I will always be a fan, I know it. Her writing style is similar to my own, and the things she writes about, especially about being in love with 'bad guys' is the story of my life. I enjoy her different styles, and the aesthetic she seems to like both musically and fashion-wise is one we both share. In fact, if I ever do make music (I'd like to try my hand at it one day) I'd be the the 'Rap Game James Dean', a nod to her 'Gangsta Nancy Sinatra'

:brows: silly, I know.

I am a shark,  beware of my bark

You're not the only one. And it is more embarrassing for me because I bet I am younger than you and I am suppose to have a better memory. I'm just as bad as my fifty-year-old mother...

Anyway, I honestly have to thank my cousin, because if it wasn't for her showing me Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl, then I wouldn't have become a KatyCat. And if I wouldn't have become a KatyCat, I wouldn't have discovered Lolita (the book). And if I wouldn't have discovered Lolita, I would have had no idea who Lana is. Everything in my life is somewhat linked.

Well, Katy Perry used to really sport Lolita fashion (her One of the Boys album cover's theme is Lolita. If you've watched the movies, you would see a definite connection) in 2008. And at first, I thought "Lolita" was a fashion brand, just a fashion brand. It wasn't until one night, around this time last year, that I looked it up and found a Wikipedia page, defining the novel extremely briefly. I was intrigued so I downloaded the sample from iBooks when I went to bed. I finished reading it in a couple of hours (I like to stay up late) and I wanted to continue reading it so on the next day, I found a PDF file of the full novel and downloaded it. I read the first forty or so pages on it but I then got fed up of reading it like that so I had been nagging Mum to take me to the library so I could "borrow a Katy Perry biography" - I wouldn't dare tell her the book I really wanted to borrow; an old, crazily controversial, outright inappropriate and disgusting (to many, but not to all) novel as Lolita! Luckily there is a self-serve borrowing system at the library so I could take that book home without a soul but mine knowing. The only problem was how was I to read it and keep it hidden from the world? I did somehow manage to do this but I told a few friends. 

Oh, and one thing I must say, I had already knew of Lana's name, to be honest. I already knew of Cola because of a KatyCat friend on Twitter who's username I think was @lanaspepsipussy (I don't know if you're on here. If you are, WOW and I was @kewlkatycat or @thekatykat4eva then if you still remember. Lol it's been a very long time) and she was a KatyCat/Lana fan like I. I had found out why this "Lana" had a "Pepsi pussy" because I listened to the beginning of Cola. But I think I thought it was too slow and whatnot and I also didn't like songs with titles that are not a phrase from the chorus (that has obviously changed).

Ages later, maybe around July or August, I had looked at Lolita's Wikipedia page again. But I searched it in the Wikipedia search bar and it came up with a lot of different terms. One of them was a song by an artist called "Lana Del Rey". That name rang a bell - that time I heard Cola. I thought I'd look it up on YouTube to hear how it sounds and I fell in love with it. I downloaded it on a free music downloader app, where I download all my digital songs, and I would always listen to it, but that is all I would do.

One day, I was looking up on YouTube to see if the Little Carmen song from Lolita (the part where Humbert and Lo are alone while Charlotte is at church and Lo is eating an apple and they're sitting on the couch) was real and if I could hear the full song. One of the results was a song called Carmen by that same artist, Lana Del Rey. I thought it was interesting seeming how closely Lolita and Carmen relate to the book. I had a listen and really liked the song. I think I may have downloaded it but I am not too sure. 

Then, one day, this Lolita fan account on Instagram had posted the picture of Lana with the metal Lolita glasses. I had commented, stating that I think the singer is a fan of Lolita, mentioning about the songs I had discovered and how they are quite Lolita-like. Another person commented and mentioned Off To The Races and how Lana sings light of my life, fire of my loins in it. I had also checked out this song. Now, I had been convinced that she was into Lolita but I hadn't looked any further into her other songs, I just listened to those three over and over again. 

But one time, after Katy's Roar had played on the radio and the radio host claiming the song to be number one in Australia at the time, they had played the remix of Summertime Sadness. I really liked the song and actually sung along to the chorus because I had learnt the lyrics. And then, when the song finished, the radio host said that the song was by Lana Del Rey, the artist I had just been introduced to and the artist who likes Lolita. I also downloaded Summertime Sadness, but the original version. And then a few days after, I thought I should check out her other songs and started downloading them all and I liked them all. And then I did a bit of research and watched some videos and I fell in love. 

And that is how I became a Lana fan in detail!

So to answer the question of this thread, I became a Lana fan in August, 2013. I do not remember the exact date though.

And I believe I will love Lana until the end of time  :heart:  :heart: 

you should be buying the songs  :derpna2: Support the queen

Heres my story tho

I heard of Lana Del Rey though a friend. We were video chatting and she had national anthem playing. I played national anthem to myself and I thought it was okay. I thought it was really sassy and not my kind of music. I listened to Born To Die and I was like "ayyyyye this is so dark and depressing" I hated it but I secretly loved it.  :worship: after I listened to Blue Jeans and then I downloaded a bunch of songs and emailed them to myself. I had a really long phase where I called her Lana Del Rae/Ray. After a week I learned her name and bought BTD:Paradise and this was last may. In september I started downloading all of her unreleased stuff. 

do you mean lana del rey? 

you should be buying the songs  :derpna2: Support the queen

I never said I don't buy the CDs. Yes, it's weird. I download all my songs for free off the internet and then I buy the albums I really like (Katy and Lana albums lol) as a physical CD. I have Born To DIe and The Paradise Edition (both CDs). (I made my grandparents look in every CD store in Westfields Miranda that day I got The Paradise Edition because we couldn't find it in any other store. I think we managed to get it at JBHi-Fi even though they didn't have it when we went before. They were actually trying to convince me to leave it because it was twenty-four dollars but I obviously wouldn't give up.) I really want Paradise on vinyl though seeming it (and the bonus edition of Born To Die but I practically have them both with The Paradise Edition seeming it comes with two disks - the bonus of BTD and Paradise) is the only CD I don't have and it was the only one of Lana's I saw in JB  Hi-Fi. Unless AKA is on vinyl on YouTube or something. But I want an official record. I don't think I'll be able to get one though seeming Paradise alone costs twenty dollars. 

I started listening to her at the end of 2011 or early 2012. One of my friends saw the music video for National Anthem and forwarded it to me with the note, "did you write and direct this and not tell anyone?" I watched the video and it was instant love lol. What really stuck out to me was her fashion in the photo shoots- it was like she was playing dress up with my dream clothes. I listened to all of her other songs as well and kept them playing for a while. I was in my senior year of college and would listen to her songs every morning on my way to my internship. I loved her music, but never bothered to research who she was until a few months ago when I discovered that my Dad actually loved her too. He is a doctor and actually plays her music while operating because he has said that it "soothes the patients" lol. 

Anyways, I started researching Lana a few months ago and I was shocked that her story was so similar to mine. From her appearance (the lips..everyone constantly questioning if they were fake) to the whole deal with people saying that she "bought her way into the industry with help from daddy," I could totally relate to this girl. It was like seeing my life played out on paper....what really got me though, was her background with alcohol and drug abuse. I have been in recovery for several years and to hear her speak about her own struggle really made me love her even more. Our stories are eerily similar and I just feel that I have this connection to her, despite never meeting her. I don't think that there is one song that I've listened to or interview that I've read of hers where I haven't felt like I knew exactly what she was talking about. The music honestly makes me feel better about myself and encourages me to keep going down the path that I created for myself. 

I recently was lucky enough to see her perform in Miami in April. I wasn't able to meet her (because people were crazy and trampled security), but I did get to talk with a lot of other fans and that was eye opening for me as well. I had no idea that Lana had such a large fan base, and it wasn't til I started googling for some more articles, that I found this board (which I have really enjoyed reading  :) ). Honestly, I don't see myself getting tired of her or her music because they are something I relate to (but then again, I also listen to multiple other artists as well). Her writing has actually inspired me to start writing again and I'm now working on a book that I started years ago, but never had the courage to finish.