RileyThomas

Paradise Lost Competition: Challenge #2 - Cover Artwork

I keep getting a 403 Forbidden message, ahh.

Judging & Scores:

The GoGo Dancers:

Album artwork: Lana Del Rey - Diamond Days

33w1fyb.jpg

Single Artwork: Lana Del Rey - The Golden Coast

tumblr_maxq7zyPCE1r5umu6o1_1280.jpg

These are rather wonderful. I really don't know what to say. Let's start with the album cover shall we? I love how you have used Lana art to help create this image. Do you paint this yourself or did you photoshop it on? It's beautiful. I love the texture, and the because it's the BTD cover pose, it connects with BTD too, showing that this isn't a completely new album, but is a re-release and is continuing to tell the stories. I also like how you have used the Lana trademark logo & roses to add something completely new. I don't think it looks professional enough to ever be a real cover, but it is up there with some of the best fan cover arts I have seen. Well done. The single cover is just as beautiful. You have gone for a real vintage taste. The color pallet and textures blend to give the senses of the song theme, and the illustration of Del Rey in front of the coast relates to the title, which gives the cover meaning and creates a lot of sense, congratulations. A lot of creativity & originality in these entries.

Score: 9/10

The Ride Or Die Bitches:

Album artwork: Lana Del Rey - The American Dream

244o7qx.jpg

I like this. It's very simple, and the use of text & font is appropriately placed and well suited to the image you have used. You may not have made it obvious what the theme of your album is about by your chose of image. However, what you've done is clever. Because the emotion in Lana's face shows her longing for something, searching for something that she already has, but just doesn't realize it. It's a face of sadness, yet a face of glamour, which represents parts of your album very well.

Single Artwork: Lana Del Rey - Thieves

15durfc.jpg

Well, this is a powerful image to use. However it captures the essence of the songs, and shows the collateral damage that has occurred to these two people through their actions of violence and crime. It shows how far they went, too far even, for cheap thrills and adrenaline, to find that the result of this would mean that one would die. One thing I would say, or a few things actually, is that because it's a video screenshot the image quality isn't very good. But, also the fact that on the cover of her new song, she is bloody and dead, makes the fans feel sadness, maybe even despair, that they may be too frightened to glare upon this image. I don't know if that's what you were aiming for? But it makes me feel uncomfortable. All in all, great work.

Score: 8/10

tumblr_mbs9cbxgQB1qh9kaoo1_500.gif

Children Of The Bad Revolution:

Album Artwork: Lana Del Rey - Born To Die: Original Sin

v0SPk.jpg

Entrants Description: For the Born to Die: Original Sin release, Lana has designed a new packaging that evokes the simplicity of the original cover, but evolves along the lines of the record's theme. This beautiful shot features Lana front and center, against the film-lot backdrop of a celestial sunset- instantly capturing the Hollywood-meets-Heaven aesthetic of this artist. Lana is seen with her head tilted up, perhaps in a holy rapture, perhaps in a fearful prayer. The only thing that's certain is that Lana's face is read as resolute. She has accepted whatever her fate may be, and is ready to meet it in her simple white gown and naturally tousled hair. She wears her signature cross between her plunging neckline, walking the line between piety and notoriety.

The Born To Die: Original Sin rerelease, like its title suggests, maintains the original design of her debut, with a dominant white text reading "Lana Del Rey" in her signature font Rainbow.ttf*. The album title wraps around her body, in a popping blood red and a solid black. This striking red symbolizes Lana's morbid fascination and the continuation of her bloody fate in Born To Die music video. The black tinted text of the subtitle "Original Sin" is the visual communication of this title's purpose as a "period" to the statements on Born To Die. Over all, the cover reflects that with this release, Lana will show what she has constantly mentioned in her repertoire- the sophisticated dark side to a seemingly beautiful picture.

*Since Rainbow.ttf is not readily available, this entry is using Steelfish.ttf, which Rainbow is probably custom-designed from.

Single Artwork: Lana Del Rey & Kanye West - King Kong

pj3vn.jpg

Entrants Description:

A surprisingly simple cover for such an explosive collaboration! But that's the whole idea, isn't it? What is featured here- what is being sold- is the collaboration between two extremely talented and applauded artists. The cover highlights that collaboration in a simple, sleek way that would make both West and Del Rey proud. A song titled "King Kong" can so easily be tied down to a specific image, which can make it seem dated and boring, yet this cover leaves the onlooker the space to imagine this beast for him/herself. The pale gray cover leaves an air of mystery around the music it represents. What might seem boring at the first look, will really stand out on shelves next to other records full of bright colors and crowded pictures. There is something classic and timeless about the TEXT ONLY treatment for this single art that will keep audiences focused on the exciting collaboration between Del Rey and West.

Firstly, lets talk about the album cover. I personally love it. I like how it takes the theme of BTD a stage forward, and possibly shows Lana as she had procified.... dead. The image you used I can tell was carefully selected and your use of text and positioning are great. I don't know what much else to say after your description. Same is said for the single artwork. It's very different to the others, you have described your choices very well.

Score: 10/10

Unfortunately The Trailer Park Darlings didn't send me an entry, so they score 0 points. (Please take note that Matttiern did try sending me something, but it didn't work. I've had no contact with Arzi throughout this whole competition.)

Here are this week's scores:

Okay the scores are in:

The Trailer Park Darlings scored = 0 points!

Matttiern, Arzi

The Ride Or Die Bitches scored = 8 points!

Hey Lucas Hey, Mommy's Mercedes, SitarHero

Children Of The Bad Revolution scored = 10 points!

Neal, HunterAshlyn

The GoGo Dancers scored = 9 points!

GaGaOopsy, PaigeDelRey, Hundred Dollar Bill

Which means that the Children Of The Bad Revolution are this weeks winners and are therefore immune from elimination!

Commiserations to this weeks losers, The Trailer Park Darlings. You two are up for elimination.

All other contestants, apart from The Trailer Park Darlings will now vote between Matttiern & Arzi for which one they want out. PM me the name, you all have 12 hours. Take into consideration their entries. For whichever one stays, as that person will be the only member of their team, they will join the Children Of The Bad Revolution. Meaning that after this elimination, the team The Trailer Park Darlings will no longer exist. The third challenge will be posted after we have the votes in. Good luck.

Crap, my message didn't go through?

tumblr_mayxkqozKw1re1y3go1_400.jpg

Album cover artwork for "AMERICAN PSYCHO"

tumblr_mb35fo6ApG1re1y3go1_500.jpg

Single cover for "American Psycho"

Description overall: The artwork was visually inspired by the 1960 Hitchcock classic "Psycho" - a tale adapted from the Robert Bloch novel, adapted from the real life story of mid-west maniac Ed Gein. If you're familiar with the movie "Psycho" - you might notice in the first picture, the font of "PSYCHO" is directly borrowed and touched up a little from the Saul Bass title credits. The idea of the album was to touch into the darker side of the American dream, the American psycho. The single cover artwork was particularly inspired by a lot of grindhouse and 60s horror film trailers and films about maniacs and serial killers. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Deranged, etc. are some of the inspirations visually in addition to Hitchcock's "Psycho." The single cover was my imagination of a bunch of body parts plastered over a black background, like a Hannibal Del Rey ripping skin from her victims and putting together a beautiful face with it. If I haven't disturbed you yet with my never-ending rambling at this point, I love you. The sound of the title track would be a bizarre Lynchian meets Bernard Herrmann's classic suspenseful strings and a sprinkle of vintage horror essence in every line.

I know it's late to fix the issue, but there's the pictures if it does anything.

We could have written descriptions of the artwork? WELL FUCK :P That probably would have helped me elucidate why I used a bloody ass "Born to Die" image for the single cover. I'll keep that one capped for a future challenge. But CotBR's descriptions were very win-worthy, congrats guys :D

The Gogo Dancers' single cover was my favorite of the challenge, but I thought everyone did pretty well. Clearly had some graphic ability in this challenge, which is nice to see.

Kinda digging the horror movie feel on Mattiern's late entry, too. The choice of picture reminds me of The Silence of the Lambs.

Anyway, I'll submit my elimination right now!

*humbled*

I kinda really like Matt's entry, and really enjoyed reading the description. It actually conjured up these scenes, reeling in my head; a tale of Lana being a Frakensteinian creation, a perfect human being with just one little flaw of being.. ~too perfect.

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

Crap, my message didn't go through?

tumblr_mayxkqozKw1re1y3go1_400.jpg

Album cover artwork for "AMERICAN PSYCHO"

tumblr_mb35fo6ApG1re1y3go1_500.jpg

Single cover for "American Psycho"

Description overall: The artwork was visually inspired by the 1960 Hitchcock classic "Psycho" - a tale adapted from the Robert Bloch novel, adapted from the real life story of mid-west maniac Ed Gein. If you're familiar with the movie "Psycho" - you might notice in the first picture, the font of "PSYCHO" is directly borrowed and touched up a little from the Saul Bass title credits. The idea of the album was to touch into the darker side of the American dream, the American psycho. The single cover artwork was particularly inspired by a lot of grindhouse and 60s horror film trailers and films about maniacs and serial killers. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Deranged, etc. are some of the inspirations visually in addition to Hitchcock's "Psycho." The single cover was my imagination of a bunch of body parts plastered over a black background, like a Hannibal Del Rey ripping skin from her victims and putting together a beautiful face with it. If I haven't disturbed you yet with my never-ending rambling at this point, I love you. The sound of the title track would be a bizarre Lynchian meets Bernard Herrmann's classic suspenseful strings and a sprinkle of vintage horror essence in every line.

I know it's late to fix the issue, but there's the pictures if it does anything.

I feel bad that the message never went through, and as I already have the votes in, I know who is going to be eliminated next. But, as you worked hard on an entry I will gladly give a review & score it :)

Lets start with your album cover. I am blown away by your originality, I really am. The way you have turned an image into this, it's incredible. I love the font, you have positioned it well, and the colors are appropriate against the black background. I love vintage feel to it, it actually looks like it could be from the 60's, which is great because the inspiration you have chosen is from that era too. The single artwork is just as good, using the bee on lip image repeatedly with the eye picture sandwiched in between is rather genius, and the text, positioning, colors all work together well. I also love your description of your entry, it's such a shame that it didn't get sent on time.

Score: 8/10

And the second person to be eliminated from the Paradise Lost Challenge Is...

Arzi

You have lost your place in the competition and you must now leave The Trailer Park Darlings.

I have updated the OP with the results.

Matttiern, you will now join The Children Of The Bad Revolution from here on out. I suggest they add you to their mailing convos.

I will be posting the next challenge soon, keep an eye out.

Matttiern, you will now join The Children Of The Bad Revolution from here on out. I suggest they add you to their mailing convos.

I will be posting the next challenge soon, keep an eye out.

:love:

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.