Sitar

Promo Single: "SHADES OF COOL" (May 26)

This is like the vocal track of the album, I can tell :defeated:

WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS BRILLIANT  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

I also love that she is using her higher vocals a lot.

I think I was too put off by the eye-roll worthy title "Shades of Cool" the first time to fully appreciate it. But on every subsequent listening, man, sheer brilliance. Definitely one of her best recorded vocals. I also like the bold decision to drown her out with the guitar on the bridge, even on one of her best, most gorgeous vocals, though I wish it was just slightly less drowned out. Just shy of perfection.

I just hate the improvising type singing with no clear distinction.

It annoys me so much what could have been an amazing song.

Million Dollar Man has a similar vibe but you can tell the distinction between the melodies on the verses and choruses.

And her vocal is awful in this song. Nasally just like West Coast.

Are we listening to the same song?

I love how its much less produced compared to Born To Die! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BTD, but this sounds more raw and authentic and beautiful.

Embrace Lana ha lounge singer era!

I'd say more jazz singer than lounge singer (there's a subtle difference). But I've been waiting for a jazz or lounge or alterna-rock Lana album. It seems I may get a little bit of all three. However, I am a bit worried that this album is gonna be straightjacketed in a single uniform sound much the way BTD was, though I'd much rather be confined in this one. And the difference is that from what I've heard so far, the songs fit comfortably in this sound, whereas the songs on BTD felt forced, seemed shoved into theirs. Though I may change my mind if any UV demos leak. #crossesfingers

Lol. I hope she gets a more mature audience from this. So I don't feel so old at her concerts and I'm 21. Lmao.

Try being 32.  :pft:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I'd say more jazz singer than lounge singer (there's a subtle difference). But I've been waiting for a jazz or lounge or alterna-rock Lana album. It seems I may get a little bit of all three. However, I am a bit worried that this album is gonna be straightjacketed in a single uniform sound much the way BTD was, though I'd much rather be confined in this one. And the difference is that from what I've heard so far, the songs fit comfortably in this sound, whereas the songs on BTD felt forced, seemed shoved into theirs. Though I may change my mind if any UV demos leak. #crossesfingers

Really? I know lots of people were afraid of this right when WC came out and we knew she only had one producer, but the songs we've heard from actually sound pretty different imo. Going from orchestral ghostly sounds in Ultraviolence to jazzy psychedelic sanging in SOC to acoustic and bubbly in Brooklyn Baby to atmospheric and guitar-driven in West Coast...Dare I say it, I think she's delivering something similar to AKA in that it will all be very cohesive and evocative of a uniform feeling, but with differences between each song. Not to mention "stripped and sexy" is also a defining feature of that album, though this one will certainly be darker.

See guys, we don't have to be afraid of only one producer. Just remember AKA.

Really? I know lots of people were afraid of this right when WC came out and we knew she only had one producer, but the songs we've heard from actually sound pretty different imo. Going from orchestral ghostly sounds in Ultraviolence to jazzy psychedelic sanging in SOC to acoustic and bubbly in Brooklyn Baby to atmospheric and guitar-driven in West Coast...Dare I say it, I think she's delivering something similar to AKA in that it will all be very cohesive and evocative of a uniform feeling, but with differences between each song. Not to mention "stripped and sexy" is also a defining feature of that album, though this one will certainly be darker.

See guys, we don't have to be afraid of only one producer. Just remember AKA.

yeah i get what you're saying. the three songs so far do have their own unique sounds, but i think they still have a similar sound overall. i like how it's guitar driven instead of hip-hop-beat driven like born to die was. i feel like this is the album she wanted to make before born to die, but born to die was her commercial release in a way. i don't know if that makes sense, but i'm excited to hear the whole album. i also think i will really appreciate how she described the album as a blend between east coast and west coast, because i've lived on both coasts, and i totally get how you can feel both of them in her new songs. angels forever and the paradise songs are examples of total west coast feel, but west coast (song) is a perfect hybrid of the two. i think west coast in the context of the album is also going to sound a lot better, and along with ultraviolence (song), it will help to tell the overall story of the album. i don't think her released songs are meant to be singles. i think they're meant to be heard in the context of an album. except for ride. and video games. and born to die. those three are just fine on their own. this has become a rant. i've had too much coffee and too little sleep so i'm ranting. now i'm ranting about ranting. sorry. i'm just excited for the album!

User-FastFission-brain.gif       let's change our DNA