Viva

Poll: What pop star will have Madonna's longevity?

Longetivity  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What artist will have Madonna's longevity?

• Lana Del Rey
    • Adele
    • Rihanna
    • Katy Perry
    • Pink
    • Taylor Swift
    • Lady Gaga
    • Beyoncé
    • Miley Cyrus
    • Lorde
    • Gwen Stefani
    • Demi Lovato
    • Shakira
    • Florence
    • Nicki Minaj
    • Avril Lavigne
    • Ellie Goulding
    • Azealia Banks

You didn't mention Adele , you mentioned record sales and that's why I mentioned Adele and 21. Icon and record sales don't necessarily walk hand in hand. I don't think Adele is an icon for example, she's going to be the most successful artist of our generation but she doesn't have influence over social behavior or fashion and movies. Beyonce is the same, just a lot less successful then Adele.

Record sales doesn't make you an International icon, it's not just that tbh. Did you ever heard about Roberto Carlos? He sold more than 100 million albums. Rita Lee? She sold until now 75 millions. Ivete? Sold 20 millions and has the record of concerts DVD sales. Yet you never heard about them did you? The world is not America and the whole world doesn't speak English. The fact Madonna is that huge in the 4 corners is incredible. Beyoncé will never be as powerful as Madonna, the only one from that list who comes close to Madge is Shakira, in social-cultural importance. The only artist I can see having a chance to be a legend is Rihanna. Gaga could be but by the way things are turning out and going for her I don't see that happening.

I'm actually surprised you said something decent about Gaga :rip:

I suppose you're right. Based off your logic however, are you saying the people I've never heard of are international icons?

I was basing my vote off tours, sales, even the demographics of fans.

Afaik, Shakira is moderately successful in the US, very successful in Latin America, but otherwise isn't a big deal. I'm going to disagree about her being socially/cut really important internationally because she's not a name that's in the news every day and hardly anything she does would be considered groundbreaking or legendary

BzhmW.png

Gaga and Beyonce. I don't care what people say, Gaga is still one of the most talked about musicians even in her "flop" era.

Is she though? I haven't heard anyone say much about her since ARTPOP, other than the occasional "what ever happened to gaga?"

Edit: NOT including "little monsters" and casual gay fans.

tbh why is nobody talking about Taylor ?

imo she is going to be the artist we'll still get new music from in 30 years and I'm not saying this because I'm a stan, no I'm saying this because I really do believe it.

I think you can create some categorizes:

Lana Del Rey, Florence, Azealia and probably even Lorde and Gwen Stefani: they don't crave the fame, it's more about the music (we're lucky if they release new stuff at all --> Gwen, Azealia, Lana (?))

Adele: she will be praised for her voice but she won't be a legend

Katy Perry, Avril Lavigne, Pink, Shakira, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj: established artists that will never stop making music, they have a solid fanbase but there won't be a thousand documentations about them when they are old or dead, some of them are too boring and will be forgotten sooner or later

Rihanna, Lady Gaga: you never know if it's still show or pure craziness yet

Beyoncé: I actually think she will be a legend but there will come a day when she will turn into a better-looking Adele because she can't dance like that on stage anymore when she's 60 (she herself even said something like that once)

and then there's TAYLOR SWIFT.... 

1. she has a massive fanbase

2. she is still absolutely down to earth

3. imo she is definitely the best songwriter out of all the nominees

4. when she's old she still will be able to fill stadiums by just singing and playing guitar

5. her music is timeless and it won't be awkward for her to sing it at an old age

6. she is able to write the most genius songs without any help

7. she has the looks 

8. she is constantly releasing new stuff all 2 years

9. people really can relate to her songs

preparing for all the negative comments  :creepna2:

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx

Ok I've gotta disagree about Taylor swifts music being timeless and not awkward to sing at an old age... Really? "She wears short skirts I wear sneakers she's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers" when she's 50? Or we are never getting back together? Her songs have a very naive youth thing to them.

Ok I've gotta disagree about Taylor swifts music being timeless and not awkward to sing at an old age... Really? "She wears short skirts I wear sneakers she's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers" when she's 50? Or we are never getting back together? Her songs have a very naive youth thing to them.

yeah I knew that someone would say something like that and I can absolutely understand your opinion but... well I don't know how to explain it ... Taylor's 24 now and of course she graduated a long time ago but it still sounds pretty natural to me hearing such lines from her. maybe because she still seems really young and it just doesn't sound wrong out of her mouth, it's more like she's reminiscing about the past, telling her story and everybody in the audience can relate to that.

when 60-year old Gaga sings "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" or old Bey sings "driver roll up the partition please, I don't need ya seein Yoncé on her knees" it doesn't have to be but at least it could be awkward

I don't see a problem with any of these girls being in their 60s and 70s singing about sexual things. Funny that you mention 60s because Madonna is almost there. She still does sexual things in her 50s and she'll be the one paving the way for these whores to do whatever the hell they want at whatever age. Madonna will surely live till 120 if it's under her control. 

What needs to be taken into more consideration is if any of their work will stand the test of time? In decades to come will Crazy In Love still be a pop staple? Same with Pon De Replay or Umbrella? 

Madonna's first hits are considered classics and with every album (after Confessions) the new crop of songs seems to be "shit and uninspired" meanwhile the album prior becomes classic. Like right now M fans are drooling over Hard Candy but think MDNA is shit. Pre-MDNA Confessions was the most glorious thing and Hard Candy was uninspired. It seems that Madonna will be the one who will stand the test of time. For most of these girls their latest music is "the best" which isn't always a good thing.

*runs off singing Some Girls*

yeah I knew that someone would say something like that and I can absolutely understand your opinion but... well I don't know how to explain it ... Taylor's 24 now and of course she graduated a long time ago but it still sounds pretty natural to me hearing such lines from her. maybe because she still seems really young and it just doesn't sound wrong out of her mouth, it's more like she's reminiscing about the past, telling her story and everybody in the audience can relate to that.

when 60-year old Gaga sings "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" or old Bey sings "driver roll up the partition please, I don't need ya seein Yoncé on her knees" it doesn't have to be but at least it could be awkward

It depends with Taylor.

Does her stanbase stick with her?

Like, lots of Britney fans outgrew her for example.

You're right, her songs are easy to relate to, she has the looks, she is a touring force, if she can keep her fans and even expand it (which shouldn't be a problem to her, she is easily likeable, although she could use more radio support) I could see her sticking around for a really long time. But on a personal note, would she? She seems like the person to me who would be happy to settle down and do considerably less. And you can't just come back after missing for 6-10 years. Look at Avril, she tried and she is not getting anywhere.

Well longevity is one thing. Any singer can have longevity. Having longevity and still having massive pull and impact in popular culture? That's almost only reserved for megastars and none of those have seemed to happen since the 80's. Madonna and MJ are prime examples.

I think the closest thing we have to a megastar is Beyonce. Gag doesn't stand a chance against any of them obviously, she's through already. Rihanna will be going strong for as long as she likes. Katy doesn't have a lot of ideas nor does she have versitlity but she could be doing this for a while. I could see Katy retiring eventually though.

Overall none of them could repeat the success and impact of Madonna. That's stupidly assuming it's easy to replicate Madonna's career, when in fact it's impossible. They can merely try, but never succeed xo. Longevity? ...Sure, some of them may be singing at Gay Pride when they're 50.

I'M NOT SORRY

and then there's TAYLOR SWIFT.... 

1. she has a massive fanbase

2. she is still absolutely down to earth

3. imo she is definitely the best songwriter out of all the nominees

4. when she's old she still will be able to fill stadiums by just singing and playing guitar

5. her music is timeless and it won't be awkward for her to sing it at an old age

6. she is able to write the most genius songs without any help

7. she has the looks 

8. she is constantly releasing new stuff all 2 years

9. people really can relate to her songs

preparing for all the negative comments  :creepna2:

WHAT?!??!??

I AM MY ONLY GOD

she is. have you ever listened to her music ?

tbh most of those nominees don't even write their own songs or are only "co-writers"   :die:

If you pay attention (or use Google) you can see Madonna's music is primarily cowritten with about 1-3 writers on each song. So really anyone with good writers and producers (who keep things fresh) have the potential for a legacy like her. :die:

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

If you pay attention (or use Google) you can see Madonna's music is primarily cowritten with about 1-3 writers on each song. So really anyone with good writers and producers (who keep things fresh) have the potential for a legacy like her. :die:

I wasn't talking about legacy but about song writing in my last post.

I think artists who write their own songs sound more unique and they will never stop to compose new music, whereas artists who have a lot of co-writers could become boring at some point in their career. of course I'm not saying that song-writing is the key to a long and successful career but at least it's a factor.

she is. have you ever listened to her music ?

tbh most of those nominees don't even write their own songs or are only "co-writers"   :die:

Lana writes so much better songs than Taylor. And yes I do listen listen to her I actually really like. Her lyrics just aren't very good.....

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I think artists who write their own songs sound more unique and they will never stop to compose new music, whereas artists who have a lot of co-writers could become boring at some point in their career. of course I'm not saying that song-writing is the key to a long and successful career but at least it's a factor.

I don't necessarily agree, again, because most successful artists cowrite on their albums. Everyone on that list cowrites their own music (minus Rihanna). It'll probably end up being whoever can appeal in the long term

I don't necessarily agree, again, because most successful artists cowrite on their albums. Everyone on that list cowrites their own music (minus Rihanna). It'll probably end up being whoever can appeal in the long term

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Lana writes so much better songs than Taylor. And yes I do listen listen to her I actually really like. Her lyrics just aren't very good.....

wow we have completely different opinions about that. I adore Lana but I think her lyrics aren't that innovative sometimes. when it comes to Taylor every single line is perfect and she doesn't use the same phrases or expressions that often. whatever, everybody has to decide for himself what he likes more...

Rihanna also co-writes her music. however, what I wanted to say with the "co-writing" thing is that artists who co-write their songs, only change a few lines most of the time and that's not what I call a songwriter if you understand what I mean 

wow we have completely different opinions about that. I adore Lana but I think her lyrics aren't that innovative sometimes. when it comes to Taylor every single line is perfect and she doesn't use the same phrases or expressions that often. whatever, everybody has to decide for himself what he likes more...

I actually just read some of Taylor's lyrics and some of them (Like Red) were quite good... But I still think Lana is better. But they are both both definitely the best song writers in pop music today....'

I AM MY ONLY GOD