C0neyIslandKing

Lana Del Rey performs "Ultraviolence" (Song) in Vancouver

I guess al songs mentioning a "Jimmy" are about a fictional character, who has his roots in a former lover of Lana. Most likely there is a lot she makes up, so the songs are interesting.

I think all the Jim-songs are indeed about the same Jimmy, bu well - it's kind of a fictional character she likes to use cause his "gangster"-style fits into the stories she wants to tell.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I guess al songs mentioning a "Jimmy" are about a fictional character, who has his roots in a former lover of Lana. Most likely there is a lot she makes up, so the songs are interesting.

I think all the Jim-songs are indeed about the same Jimmy, bu well - it's kind of a fictional character she likes to use cause his "gangster"-style fits into the stories she wants to tell.

Lol what jimmy is a real person

I like the lyrics, I like the topics used (well, really seems like a 'new' version of HDB in some ways) and I like that this one sounds like it could be a "sonical brother" to Born To Die, you know, the way she sings and the instumental also has elements you could compare. I also like that this is kind of a straightforward song unlike West Coast and Shades of Cool. Even tough I like these two, it's nice to see that there are songs on UV besides Black Beauty and the West Coast Radio Mix that do not have big differences between chorus and verse.

However, i also can not say that this one really "hit me and it felt like a kiss" like for example Body Electric did when she performed it for the first time. It's - well, it's a typical lanasong and there is nothing really bad about it, but judging from the live version this may not be my all-time-favourite song from the album.

I'll have to agree with you on this. The lyrics are very interesting, but musically I find it a tad bland, knowing what Lana is capable of. 

That being said the studio version might change my mind as the production could be out of this world for all I know.

Yeah, I hope so too. It definetly has some potential.

Lol what jimmy is a real person

Reading can save lives.

I said that i assume that the jimmy Lana keeps on singing about is a fictional person which is based on a real person and has aspects of his personality.

Cola, BB, WC, And SOC are all about Barrie. I'm sure there are more songs about him too on Ultra.

Also, I don't think Ultraviolence is an old song--I think it's relatively newer (definitely post-BTD), so she has to have a reason for putting it on the album. Not only that, but making it the title track! I think it's about being haunted and surrounded by the former love of her life (Jimmy, who is on tour with her). How that must feel? It must be strange seeing those old strong emotions going no where, and so as to respect the former relationship, she doesn't want to just let them did. But at the same time, she is in a stable relationship with Barrie. How must this contradiction of emotions between two people feel? Ultraviolent.

It's ultraviolent to be touring around with the person she used to love, especially while she's in another relationship.

It's Ultraviolent to love someone with depression (Barrie).

It's Ultraviolent to be misunderstood, mistaken, and lied about (in terms of her career launching off from a bad SNL performance and a preconceived notion of who she is that most people mistakenly have for her).

It's Ultraviolent wanting to live a wild, crazy and free lifestyle while being in the public eye (aka sacrificing some of who she is in offer to fulfill others' expectations).

It's Ultraviolent to fear failure after putting so much work and effort into something--fearing that it won't be appreciated like she wants it to be.

I think that all together, THAT is what Ultraviolence is.

Okay, this is going to be a bit of a stretch here, but is it at all possible that the Jim she is referring to in this song, is not a person, but Jim Beam whiskey? We know she has a penchant for writing about her first love, alcohol and this could really fit. "He hit me and it felt like a kiss" could easily refer to her drinking too much and the aftermath of blacking out, but at the time it felt good...like a kiss. "He hurt me, but it felt like true love" could also fit into the alcohol theory. When you're an addict and totally dependent on alcohol, drugs, etc you don't realize how much pain it brings you. Like I said, I could be completely off with my theory, but I don't think this is a song pertaining to Jimmy Gnecco. 

Well, Ultraviolence seems to contain lyrics or parts/themes of lyrics from some of Lana's unreleased songs.

Hundred Dollar Bill (featuring the violent relationship, the world ultraviolence and Jim), Driving In Cars With boys (the nickname-topic, especially the Poison Ivy one), Ghetto Baby ("crying tears of gold"),the jazz-singer thing which is also mentioned in Dum Dum as well as the "hit me and it felt like a kiss"-reference from Beautiful Player. So yeah, it's not an old song but she definitely considered topics she already sang about in unreleased songs, from which some of them are old. I don't think UV is about Barrie, I mean, just because she writes the songs and says she uses personal experiences in them, not everything has to be literally this way. Artistic freedom and everything, you know what I mean?

a bunch of recycled lyrics  :willcut:

Really?! It's like some of the (very young) people here were listening to The Crystals all their lives! :toofunny:  If Lana wouldn't brought up this particular verse most of you would never heard about The Crystals or their lyrics (He hit me and it felt like a kiss)

She posted a snippet of the studio version on Facebook, featuring some outtakes from West Coast as well as some new scenes, one is her sitting on a smoky area, wearing the red dress she has in the West Coast fire scenes.

Deifinitly sounds nice, but the live version seems to be very accurate, as the snippet sounds very similar to it.

She posted a snippet of the studio version on Facebook, featuring some outtakes from West Coast as well as some new scenes, one is her sitting on a smoky area, wearing the red dress she has in the West Coast fire scenes.

Deifinitly sounds nice, but the live version seems to be very accurate, as the snippet sounds very similar to it.

this album is going to be pretty good live, because it was made for that