lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

1. Cruel World

Nice Intro, nice song but .. well, I think it's my least favourite song.

2. Ultraviolence

Catchy song, I really like it but it won't be my all-time-fav  (it was similar with Born To Die) and I could see this as a good single.

3. Shades Of Cool

Great song, love the james Bond vibes with he the Flowerchild-chorus.

4. Brooklyn Baby

Heavenly! One of my favourite songs, I love everything about it.

5. West Coast

Very good summer song, had to grow on me but i really love it now. (however, I still prefer the german radio mix a little bit)

6. Sad Girl

Nice song, has some jazzy vibes.

7. Money Power Glory

Could see this one as a single too, good song but I whished they would have added a better bridge.

8. Pretty When You Cry

The best song on this album in my opinion so far.

9. Fucked My Way Up To The Top

Sounds good, I kind of like the lyrics but .. well, stillseems like a snippet to me. More lyrics would have been better.

10. Old Money

Beautiful song. I dont know, it's not one of my all-time-favourites but it's definitly one of her best songs. Kind of weird how I feel about it

11. The Other Woman

Very good cover, really has some kind of black-and-white-movie feeling attached to it.

12. Black Beauty

Loved the demo, love the album version.

13. Guns And Roses

A nice song, but not the most interesting one.

14. Florida Kilos

Doesn't fit the overal mood of the album, still one of my favourites. It gives me Lizzy Grant- vibes and I kind of think that there are lots of Yayo-references in there.

In general, I can say I am very satisfied and I am sure the songs will keep on growing on me much more.

But I also feel like the sound of UV is less varied than the one from Born To Die and Paradise. I guess it won't take Paradise's spot as my favourite Lana album, but it's nice to have it. I am really excited about how Is This Happiness and Flipside will sound. ITH could be a song with a "typical Ultraviolence- sound" while Flipside could be something very different .. We'll see.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

That's not feminism lel, you sound like you know what feminism means as much as Perry, Gaga, Taylor, Gomez and Lana, it's just another massive shout out for 'I'm thick as fuck and just reinforcing that for ya' lmao

Don't forget Lorde.

Although discussing Lorde is invalid to the point of the thread (a poll about the songs) I'm laughing because people are bashing Lorde for HER interpretation and feelings toward what artists make songs about. If Lorde believes that Lana's songs sound dependent and needy then so fucking be it. Not everyone loves Lana, not everyone can identify with opulence and millions of dollars, and most importantly everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Bashing a teenager repeatedly is petty, and if Lana wrote it about her that makes her petty for dwelling on the opinion of a teenager who isn't even in her lane. Lana could've brushed it off and acted like an ADULT in the situation and handled it behind the scenes but she made it public with this song.

And everyone here was an opinionated teenager at some point so save it. :toofunny:

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

I really wasn't a fan of Florida Kilos at all when I first heard it, but now I'm really digging it. I think it's just because of how out of place it sounds. Maybe the other two bonus tracks will make it seem less odd.

I think Lorde being the subject of the *potential* dis song FMWUTTT is debatable.

So to recap:

Interviewer: When you got famous like overnight people doubted about the authenticity of your music.

LDR: Yeah, a huge topic. I’ve always felt confident about my music. Who doesn’t have to say anything cannot create pop music. I already know that later I’ll tell the whole story of my live to my children on the basis of my songs.

Interviewer: Like you do in “Fucked My Way Up To The Top” on your new album?

It’s about a singer who first sneered about my allegedly not authentic style but later she stole and copied it. And now she’s acting like I am the art project and she the true super artist. My God and people actually believe her, she’s successful! I shouldn’t continue ranting, it doesn’t get anywhere.

My problem with Lorde as the target (other than making LDR seem quite the psycho bitch) is that I can't map this statement of LDR's onto Lorde:

"And now she’s acting like I am the art project and she the true super artist." Lorde talked about political correctness of LDR's art but does not make LDR, specifically, into "an art project". 

Now consider Taylor Swift's Trouble video (which jacks LDR's Ride style) and the song the Lucky One. I'm using this lyrics source:

here's the first para:

"New to town with a made up name in the angel city,

Chasing fortune and fame.

And the camera flashes, make it look like a dream.

You had it figured out since you were in school.

Everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool.

So overnight you look like a sixties’ queen."

Sounds like LDR, although Taylor puts in inconsistent details in the song. So for instance, Taylor is writing from the perspective of someone who got famous after this person, which is the reverse wrt LDR.  I also like the fact that Taylor's protagonist retires (something LDR threatens repeatedly but never does). Anyway, the inconsistent details make the song more fictionalized and give plausible deniability that the song is specifically about LDR, and maybe it's not, although it still could have been inspired by her. Now FMWUTTT being about Taylor? That is a stretch (with some delicious ironies), but I prefer that interpretation, because I like Lorde.

I think Lorde being the subject of the *potential* dis song FMWUTTT is debatable.

So to recap:

http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/4780-lana-del-rey-interview-with-grazia/?p=188032

Interviewer: When you got famous like overnight people doubted about the authenticity of your music.

LDR: Yeah, a huge topic. I’ve always felt confident about my music. Who doesn’t have to say anything cannot create pop music. I already know that later I’ll tell the whole story of my live to my children on the basis of my songs.

Interviewer: Like you do in “Fucked My Way Up To The Top” on your new album?

It’s about a singer who first sneered about my allegedly not authentic style but later she stole and copied it. And now she’s acting like I am the art project and she the true super artist. My God and people actually believe her, she’s successful! I shouldn’t continue ranting, it doesn’t get anywhere.

My problem with Lorde as the target (other than making LDR seem quite the psycho bitch) is that I can't map this statement of LDR's onto Lorde:

"And now she’s acting like I am the art project and she the true super artist." Lorde talked about political correctness of LDR's art but does not make LDR, specifically, into "an art project".

Now consider Taylor Swift's Trouble video (which jacks LDR's Ride style) and the song the Lucky One. I'm using this lyrics source:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/taylorswift/theluckyone.html

here's the first para:

"New to town with a made up name in the angel city,

Chasing fortune and fame.

And the camera flashes, make it look like a dream.

You had it figured out since you were in school.

Everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool.

So overnight you look like a sixties’ queen."

Sounds like LDR, although Taylor puts in inconsistent details in the song. So for instance, Taylor is writing from the perspective of someone who got famous after this person, which is the reverse wrt LDR. I also like the fact that Taylor's protagonist retires (something LDR threatens repeatedly but never does). Anyway, the inconsistent details make the song more fictionalized and give plausible deniability that the song is specifically about LDR, and maybe it's not, although it still could have been inspired by her. Now FMWUTTT being about Taylor? That is a stretch (with some delicious ironies), but I prefer that interpretation, because I like Lorde.

Sounds more plausible than Lorde but it's still questionable because I doubt Taylor fucked anyone to get to where she is, she was signed at 16 and already had an album out in 2006ish.

But if it were about Taylor it doesn't sound like a diss, "I'm a drag on, and you're a whore" sounds like she is sympathizing with how the media portrays them the wrong way. If fmwuttt had more lyrics in the verses and choruses it would make more sense as a cohesive diss or whatever it actually is.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Sounds more plausible than Lorde but it's still questionable because I doubt Taylor fucked anyone to get to where she is, she was signed at 16 and already had an album out in 2006ish.

but as of late she is publicly known for being a serial dater - she's fucked through a bunch of celebrities to make herself more relevant, and get to the top of the charts.

tumblr_inline_n70qk2QtpK1qikhr1.gif

Found a gif that accurately describes the amazing Florida Kilos....Idk lol

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I love this album as the standard version

The deluxe needs to be deleted and BB needs to be replaced with the Demo.

I'm sorry the new version is cute and all with drums but it devoids of any emotions from the demo.

The demo version is so sad but in a delicate and beautiful way. The album version is very showy but with no substance. plus her voice blurred out with loud instrumentals which kinda pissed me off esp during the chorus.

i disagree. The demo did nothing for me, its a beautiful song, but i'd get so tired of it. I like the new version more and i felt more emotion 

tumblr_inline_n70qk2QtpK1qikhr1.gif

Found a gif that accurately describes the amazing Florida Kilos....Idk lol

LOOOOOL

but as of late she is publicly known for being a serial dater - she's fucked through a bunch of celebrities to make herself more relevant, and get to the top of the charts.

Well it happens when someone is famous anyway, good for her. It kept her relevant between albums. And she built a fan base well before she started dating all of these people. I'm nowhere near a fan of her but I kind of came to that conclusion.

And I find it funny that Lana would diss someone (whoever it may be) especially when a lot of current pop stars started making music around the same time as her (between 2005-2007) and it took Lana a few name changes to even get there in 2012.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Well it happens when someone is famous anyway, good for her. It kept her relevant between albums. And she built a fan base well before she started dating all of these people. I'm nowhere near a fan of her but I kind of came to that conclusion.

And I find it funny that Lana would diss someone (whoever it may be) especially when a lot of current pop stars started making music around the same time as her (between 2005-2007) and it took Lana a few name changes to even get there in 2012.

Yeah, wasn't saying i agreed with that idea, but its a justification of where Taylor theories could be derived.

Although I am still on the side that the chorus is from Lana's perspective, in a non-literal, sarcastic way to scoff at the theories around her path to fame (addressing rumours that circulated in the SNL backlash - similar to how the song could be 'my daddy paid me to the top' to address the rob rumours etc.)

or the chorus could even be a conversational banter kind of deal?

"I fucked my way up to the top? [No] This is my show (i.e. I'm in control and got here by myself) I fucked my way up to the top? Go baby go (i.e. fuck off and go away)"