lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

It's the original iTunes version, before Dan Auerbach's replaced it. It's mixed differently and has more subtle percussion and Lana's higher melodies are accented rather than the lower harmonies.

Got ya, I'll have to listen to them and compare. I'm kinda bummed Old Money has no mention of methamphetamines. 

I find some interesting things on UV. It sounds like a mix of Sirens and AKA sometimes. It's nice that it only leaked today, because someone had the CD, so someone got the CD before it actually leaked online. And I also like the reference of "Blue hydrangea" in the lyrics of Old Money because these flowers are the pattern printed on the disc and there's that picture of her lying on those flowers, smoking.

UV is different of everything I've ever listened. It's creative and fits her style so well. The electric guitar brought such a cool vibe to the songs. I love it!

I'm still not sure which album I like more, this or Born To Die. 

I think Born To Die is produced better - for me personally to enjoy listening to the songs.

Then again this has some truly beautiful songs - Black Beauty and Old Money

qsVmBMd.png

After almost non-stop listening to Ultraviolence since it has leaked i can say im very satisfied with the album.

The majority of the songs are really good. I already fell in love with Cruel World, FMWUTTT and Old Money.

Some others like MPG or Pretty when you cry have some good potential to grow on me.

But i also dislike Guns and Roses and The Other Woman.

Okay. Here are my thoughts:

Cruel World is a cool song. When I first listened "Put my little red party dress on" with those overlayered vocals, I got chills. I just hoped the guitar intro Lana mentioned would be way longer (at least 1 minute), given the length of the song.

I don't adore Ultraviolence. The repetition of the chorus is tiring (I had that same problem with Body Electric). I probably won't listen to it a lot.

Shades of Cool is everything. One of Lana's best songs. Haunting and beautiful, and the guitar solo overpowering her unlistenable vocals... God! It gives me life.

Brooklyn Baby is a nice song, I really like it. The way she sings "Brooklyn ba-ay-by" it's so unique. And Barrie's vocals were a nice surprise.

I don't understand how some of you say almost every song on the album is better than West Coast. I guess as it was released earlier, we somehow got tired of it, I don't understand completely. But that song stands out. That tempo change and those little Lana choirs are refreshing.

Sad Girl surprised me in such a good way. It may be a little too early to decide, but it's probably my favorite song of the album. Jazzy Lana to me is Lana at her best.

Pretty When You Cry... It's beautiful. Not even the repetition in the chorus annoyed me. This song is heaven on my headphone. The last minute live must be awesome.

Well, I didn't like Money Power Glory and Fucked My Way Up to the Top much. I guess it didn't flow right with the rest of the album, those beats. "Dope and diamonds, do-oope and diamonds" was pretty cool, though.

Old Money is great. I think it is a bit overrated, but still it's a lovely song.

The first time I heard Lana's cover of The Other Woman I cried. Truly. You can hear emotion through her voice. Her vocals were beautiful. Some people here said they would love a Lana album of covers. I believe every person who hears this cover would agree to this idea as well.

This new version of Black Beauty is nice. It doesn't stand out, but it's at least better than the demo.

Guns and Roses might be too repetitive, but it has such a peaceful chorus.

Florida Kilos is Lizzy Grant's ressurection in form of sound waves. It's a great bonus, a fun song.

(I'm sorry I wrote too much)

Edit: Damn, I really wrote too much.

UNLISTENABLE?!

/   \
    /     ヽ
   /)`      |ヘ
   ||(・)  (・) ||
   |ヽ ・ ・  ノ|
   | |\ ∩  / ノ
   人 ヽ|∪ / /
    | |人__人 |
` /| | \ ノ ||

My opinion is based on mostly one listen per non-single, and I guess I have to say something reductive like: Trip hop meets the Eagles. It's not that bad really, but I agree with @@whitman that it is the vocal delivery that is emphasized way over the lyrics in some songs. So she's very interested in showing that side of her virtuosity, especially in TOW, where she's stressing herself as a performer/interpreter of a particular style (which is not the style of the rest of the album).

I don't get FMWUTTT as being about anybody specific (still think Taylor over Lorde, but I don't see any definitive target). This song seems more of an emotional interlude. PWYC reminds me of May Jailer, so I like that one quite a bit. The rest of the unfamiliar ones I'll have to wait for a final opinion from multiple listens, which I can do with a clear conscious (because I pre-ordered it). UV is on Youtube as single tracks for now. I wonder how fast she'll get it to spotify.

In summary, it's possible people who liked BTD may not like this one as much, but then it's also possible people who didn't like BTD might like this one a lot. People that like all of her (diverse) leaks/unreleased will probably like UV.

Credit for the emoticon goes to:
https://twitter.com/mobile_aa/statuses/472923210770432000

this was retweeted by
@Grimezsz  May 31 (so was not originally about UV).

I seriously am completely in love with every single track apart from Florida Kilos. :rip: I just don't understand the inclusion of that track on an album about personal experiences and the corruption of money and power. It would make sense if the song highlighted the toxic effect of the partying, but it just feels like a summer anthem, lol. I love Harmony Korine and part of the success of Spring Breakers was his ability to portray the irony of the girls' culture's hedonism, but this song is missing that element. 

That said, Ultraviolence as a whole is really quite the classic and everything I had hoped for. It's incredibly ethereal, personal, and emotionally resonant. I hope it gets the acclaim that it deserves. 

Edit: I've re-listened to FK and I have sort of changed my mind. :P It does kind of feel like the protagonist is living in this narco-induced fever dream and seeing the world from irrational point-of-view. I can totally hear Korine's influence...the twisted happiness. 

This album is amazing.

I have been really skeptical since BB leaked in July. I felt that the sudden change in sound was forced but after listening to this entire album, I can see it's not.

The album is a really great mix of BTD and a new sound. Dan's production is alright on some tracks yet I still feel like Rick or Dan Heath would have been a better choice for others. It's a bit heavy when you put it all together.

Favs are BRB, OM, FMWUTT and TOW. I really like FK but at one point her voice cracks? Idk. It annoys me.

VyIsfwC.jpg

The only thing I don't understand is all the love for Florida Kilos tbh... It doesn't fit with the rest of the album at all in my opinion.

thats why its a bonus track

i love it tho, even if it doesn't fit. It adds colour to the album

He love guns and roses, guns and roses
Guns and roses
He love guns and roses, guns and roses
Guns and roses

teletubbies-o.gif
Let's repeat it one more time!

Guns....AND ROSES!!!

I'm still not sure what does he love...  :stareney2:
This is too deep for me.

LMFAOOO 

Florida Kilos sounds like a song children listen to so they can learn the alphabet. I like it the more i hear it, but i still stand by the opinion that it exists as this weird sweet melodic track for pre teen girls amongst much more atmospheric joint smoking torch songs.

Cooking meth on the stove #justgirlythings

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1