lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

Absolute favourites (of the leaks not BB, Ultra, etc): 

• Money, Power, Glory (AKA The Holy Trinity)
  • Florida Kilos
  • FMWUTTT 

and Cruel World closely behind

Least favourites (but not bad):

• Pretty When You Cry
  • Sad Girl

I did like florida kilos. I expected better from cruel world though I have only heard it twice. I was looking for where she goes "It's a cruel cruel world" as she sang live before Cola. I was waiting for it to be more scathing towards her naysayers. Same with FMWUTTT, if you're gonna diss lorde, pull a So Legit, maybe minus the name drop. Sad girl is a highlight in my opinion. I love west coast but I can't help but think of it as the obvious "We need a song that will play on the radio" after having heard the rest of it. 

I did like florida kilos. I expected better from cruel world though I have only heard it twice. I was looking for where she goes "It's a cruel cruel world" as she sang live before Cola. I was waiting for it to be more scathing towards her naysayers. Same with FMWUTTT, if you're gonna diss lorde, pull a So Legit, maybe minus the name drop. Sad girl is a highlight in my opinion. I love west coast but I can't help but think of it as the obvious "We need a song that will play on the radio" after having heard the rest of it.

It's not a Lorde diss.

1. Why would she diss someone who was 15 when they created the song?

2. Why would she make a diss track about sex?

3. Why would she diss her at all?

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

The first five songs, Black Beauty, Florida Kilos and Old Money are amazing, incredible, exactly what I expected from this new sound etc.

FMWUTTT and MPG don't really work. The "I fucked my way up to the top" line is really the only lyric that gives some kind of theme, the other parts of the song are sorta random. In the 1st verse it seems like a parody of herself, then she's talking about someone and then a lover (?). There's something empty/cold about the overall atmosphere of MPG that bugs me (though that's probably intentional).

Sad Girl and PWYC are really flat sounding rn but maybe they'll grow on me.

Guns and Roses is terrible.

That's all I got from these first few listens.

tumblr_msfqg0hpqG1sx7kg2o5_250.gif

It's not a Lorde diss.

1. Why would she diss someone who was 15 when they created the song?

2. Why would she make a diss track about sex?

3. Why would she diss her at all?

Let's see... For criticizing her style and then appropriating it? Because Lana herself said the song was about a singer who dissed her then copied her style? Because New Zealand just so happens to have a major marine riviera? I wonder if there's a connection there at all. And she has curly hair. Boo, wake up. 

Let's see... For criticizing her style and then appropriating it? Because Lana herself said the song was about a singer who dissed her then copied her style? Because New Zealand just so happens to have a major marine riviera? I wonder if there's a connection there at all. And she has curly hair. Boo, wake up.

She also mentioned rivieras in Without You. And if you actually listen to exactly what Lorde said then you'd know she said he can't identify with opulence (coming from New Zealand). And it would make Lana look so fucking dumb to call a teenager a slut for no reason so openly.

PS - Lana and Lorde are not alike in the slightest, Lorde sings about being an outcast and Lana sings about drugs and sex.

'Wake up.' :toofunny:

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Ok here we go. Im about to dive in :smokes3:

My favorites right now are Old Money, FMWUTTT, Florida Kilos, Old Money, Sad Girl and Black Beauty.

Sad Girl: In my opinion, this song has the best intro of any song on the album. The beginning is so melodic and definitely sets a mood. It makes me feel like i'm sitting in amazing garden. 

Fucked My Way Up To The Top: I think just the title and chorus speak for itself. It doesn't have my favorite bridge of any song on the album, but what it does have is the ability to make you feel "bad." In a good way.

Florida Kilos: Wow. This is Lana giving us a song straight from the Lizzy Grant playbook. It is the only up-tempo song (aside from West Coast and its respective radio edit) on the album, and I feel like lyrically its one of the best. The tone of Lana's voice in this song also sets it apart from the rest.

Old Money: This song is giving me Gatsby sadcore to the fullest. Definitely single-worthy, and I think Lana's vocal performance really drives this one home.

Black Beauty: My favorite "leak" of all time, and I think the new production does the song absolute justice. It wasn't overdone (which I was really afraid of), and it definitely has a 'live' feeling to it. In my opinion, the new production reduced the monotony of the song. Lyrically, this song really delivers.

Not too say I don't like the other songs on the album, because I DEFINITELY do, these are just the ones that I find myself listening to more than the others. 

I recommend for everyone, who hasn't already, to listen to this album all the way through in the intended order. It is really cool.

All Lorde said was something about liking her music but not relating to it because all Lana sings about is cars and glamor and Lorde is a teenager who is all dark and agonized by her homework and new school shoes and stuff. It wasn't even a diss, just a critique on Lanas lyrics. It was really no big deal.

Their music, lyrics and style are also worlds apart. Lana may as well be compared to 50 Cent.

I actually don't care who FMWTTT is about, its probably not even about anyone, Lana was prob high on meth when she wrote it x.

She also mentioned rivieras in Without You. And if you actually listen to exactly what Lorde said then you'd know she said he can't identify with opulence (coming from New Zealand). And it would make Lana look so fucking dumb to call a teenager a slut for no reason so openly.

PS - Lana and Lorde are not alike in the slightest, Lorde sings about being an outcast and Lana sings about drugs and sex.

'Wake up.' :toofunny:

"The song is about another singer" - Lana

So unless it's Lady Gaga... 

Lorde and Lana have different sounds but there's a little of Lana in Lorde's album. The trip hop aspect, the writing style, I don't know how to describe it but I feel it there. She said herself she was one of the artists she had been listening to.

As far as why Lana would do it? Idk. So Legit was fairly petty, even if I like it a lot, it's a venting song, it was an inside look into her mind and that look shows she is the type of person to write a revenge song. She might have grown a little out of that but she did favorite that tweet that had the spikey bracelet meant for Lorde, and her dad had that post about pure heroine. There's clearly something there.

I still don't know what did Lorde say about Lana... Is it when she mentioned Lana sings about hollow things (Hamptons, Bugatti Veyron, etc)?

Lorde said something about it being a dangerous anti-feminist message because it promoted dependence or something around those lines. It had to do with feminism. 

"Lorde is a teenager who is all dark and agonized by her homework and new school shoes and stuff."

I'm loling

Okay my opinion time!

Favs to least favs

1.Florida Kilos

2.Money, Power, Glory

3.Cruel World

4.Pretty When You Cry

5.Brooklyn Baby

6.Ultraviolence

7.Old Money

8.West Coast

9.Fucked My Way Up To The Top

10. Black Beauty

11.Shades Of Cool

12.Guns and Roses

13.Sad Girl

14. The Other Woman

Florida Kilos: was just so old school Unreleased Lana and I loved it soo much. Just ugh!How could talking about selling crack be so damn pretty. I dance to this every time.

Money, Power, Glory: The chorus was excellent. The way she said MPG was just great.

Cruel World:I loved the chorus the bourbon lyric was said so nicely.

I wont say I like this album more than BTD, because their so diff... but BTD beats were most def better.

I dont understand the hate for FK, its not overrated. It's just excellence. But we're all entitled to our opinions.

"The song is about another singer" - Lana

So unless it's Lady Gaga... 

Lorde and Lana have different sounds but there's a little of Lana in Lorde's album. The trip hop aspect, the writing style, I don't know how to describe it but I feel it there. She said herself she was one of the artists she had been listening to.

As far as why Lana would do it? Idk. So Legit was fairly petty, even if I like it a lot, it's a venting song, it was an inside look into her mind and that look shows she is the type of person to write a revenge song. She might have grown a little out of that but she did favorite that tweet that had the spikey bracelet meant for Lorde, and her dad had that post about pure heroine. There's clearly something there.

Lorde said something about it being a dangerous anti-feminist message because it promoted dependence or something around those lines. It had to do with feminism. 

I'm loling

Did you miss the entire part where Lorde said she listened to a lot of rap and rock music growing up. Kanye and her are friends now, she even covers his song Hold My Liquor at her concerts. The beats are inspired by him and other rap artists she loves.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Did you miss the entire part where Lorde said she listened to a lot of rap and rock music growing up. Kanye and her are friends now, she even covers his song Hold My Liquor at her concerts. The beats are inspired by him and other rap artists she loves.

I didn't. I'm just saying. If she's saying it's someone who criticized her and copied her style the pool of options is hardly very long. Anyways, I made my case for why I think it's Lorde, I could very well be wrong, what someone else said about being someone nobody knows about seems equally plausible. 

I didn't. I'm just saying. If she's saying it's someone who criticized her and copied her style the pool of options is hardly very long. Anyways, I made my case for why I think it's Lorde, I could very well be wrong, what someone else said about being someone nobody knows about seems equally plausible. 

To me it seems like she is kind of telling Lorde to:

Fuck off, this is my show, don§t criticize me.

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't about Lorde though, if she wanna write about Trash there is always trash magic...