Sign in to follow this  
yourdangerousgirl

Lana's interview for Neon Magazine

Because she is willing to say those things out loud and expose herself and be vulnerable. That's one of the things I love about her.

lel lana doesn't say things without thinking about how they'll be interpreted first 

ZRBNill.jpg

lel lana doesn't say things without thinking about how they'll be interpreted first

She is clearly a smart girl and very self aware. And she has a point of view that is outside the mainstream of us mere mortals that can make her seem crazy, insane, or out of touch.

I do agree she says things in interviews that are indicative of her playing the media; like shooting fish in a barrel, it just so easy. Her comments on feminism in the Fader article are an example of that. She was very careful and precise in what she said and what she didn't say. The derivative news media just went insane.

However, I also believe that she just blurts things out without much thought that most people would filter first, and that reveal her vulnerabilities. ("Lana, how to you mentally prepare for a concert?" "I freak the fuck out.")

So, I think her public statements are a combination of both well thought out cynicism and emotionally vulnerable honesty.

Watch what you say to me, Careful who you're talkin' to.

Yeah and I love her even more for her personality, just the way she is.

But the "I am a girl who needs a strong tough and objective man to guide me" shit she's got going on is a bit of a turn off sometimes..

She is clearly a smart girl and very self aware. And she has a point of view that is outside the mainstream of us mere mortals that can make her seem crazy, insane, or out of touch.

I do agree she says things in interviews that are indicative of her playing the media; like shooting fish in a barrel, it just so easy. Her comments on feminism in the Fader article are an example of that. She was very careful and precise in what she said and what she didn't say. The derivative news media just went insane.

However, I also believe that she just blurts things out without much thought that most people would filter first, and that reveal her vulnerabilities. ("Lana, how to you mentally prepare for a concert?" "I freak the fuck out.")

So, I think her public statements are a combination of both well thought out cynicism and emotionally vulnerable honesty.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

I think people perceive the things she says way too seriously sometimes. Plus, about the men, well, I just think it's her experience that leads to those kinds of views. I kinda agree, I also prefer masculine energy (although it doesn't mean that masculine energy can be found only in men), or rather say the societal view of ''masculine'' energy. We all have our past experiences that is the influence of our current perceptions and I think that's really the case, so again, I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I mean, she is who she is and that's the charming thing about her.

Yeah and I love her even more for her personality, just the way she is.

But the "I am a girl who needs a strong tough and objective man to guide me" shit she's got going on is a bit of a turn off sometimes..

Yeah, she does say cringe worthy things, doesn't she?  It is who she is.

She's never going to fit the image in my head of the perfect artist, so I just accept who she is.  I guess she is perfectly Lana and that's good enough for me.

Watch what you say to me, Careful who you're talkin' to.

Sry for double posting but I finished my translation. Wasn't sure if I should create a new thread because some people might not notice that there's the full interview now but whatever. Maybe someone could change the title or add sth like "full interview" or idk. :whatever:

FULL INTERVIEW (Translation)

img007ttpri.jpg img008bcrq6.jpgimg009l5pby.jpgimg010j6pwb.jpg

„I’d really like to be happy”

Lana Del Rey talks about the two big topics of her music: Men and sadness.

Interview by Alard von Kittlitz

Your songs are mostly about men. Are they so great?
Men are my passion. I like the male energy, their stability and predictability in relationships. Men are a huge inspirational source for me. Most of my friends are intellectual, creative men. I like to be with them. Many of the songs which have a romantic sound actually aren’t necessarily about love but simply about men who influenced me.

What is the difference between men and women for you?
Oh, I don’t know. Those clichés: Men are like this, women are like that, I’m not really interested in them. After all I’m interested in the individual persons. But at the same time I have to admit that most of those people who really interested me were men. And even the fascinating women I’ve met have a rather masculine energy.

What do you mean by “masculine energy”?
By this I mean that they are dominant. I mean that they don’t have anything frivolous. A particular calmness, a focus.

Are you thinking about gender relations when you’re writing your lyrics?
No. I believe that the relation between men and women changes anyway in every decade. Ultimately in a relationship it still primarily depends on the moral values and traditions of both partners.

Are you concerned with feminism?
I feel little connected to it. I don’t even know what’s on the agenda there. I couldn’t say who the most prominent feminist is or what she thinks about me. If I could guess I would say that she doesn’t like me because she gets something wrong.

The political dimension of the relation between men and women doesn’t interest you?
No. I actually do have political opinions but they aren’t concerning the gender relation.

What are your political opinions?
I’d say that I have conservative tendencies with left desires. I have traditional moral values but an untraditional lifestyle. I kind of feel in the middle.

In Germany it’s frequently talked about what the emancipation movement does to desire. There are relationship therapists who say that soft, sympathetic men aren’t really exciting in an erotic way for women. In your songs too men are rather those dudes with a car that pick up women.
That’s true. Even so I have two answers. In my life it has always been me who stepped up to the plate. I was missing role models and help especially when it came to how I could live my creative interests or even turn them into a career. The meetings with men who maybe weren’t particularly creative but who had that certain drive did me really good. And it was good that some of those men then assumed career things for me. It was good not to do it all on my own. Those were such dudes.

And the second response?
On the other side I like it when men are empathetic of course.

You don’t think it’s unsexy?
No, not at all. But they should just know what they want. They don’t need to be rich at all or at the point they want to reach but they have to know the direction. The men in my songs aren’t dominant but self-confident.

Your songs are also a lot about passion but sometimes one gets the feeling like you would like to invoke it. Are we living in passionless times?
I think that many people actually have a passion for what they are doing. But what people consider as great and desirable often doesn’t make sense to me. However I’m a dreamer. My passion is my imagination. A part of me is dreaming all the time. If people don’t have this I can’t really understand them. I need this. My imagination makes my life deeper, more colourful. It’s like Technicolor.

Sounds beautiful.
It’s a blessing! Because the older we get the colours of life are fading. Especially for artists this is difficult. Writing is getting more difficult for me.

Are you sometimes afraid of losing your creativity?
I’m not afraid of that but very well of not having enough time to make the experiences I need for my music. Now it’s much more difficult than it was ten years ago, it’s not such a fluent experience anymore. I’m not composing music in the back of my head all the time anymore. I just have to do something all the time, sometimes it feels very narrowing.

Where does the sadness in your songs come from?
It emerges from the feeling of being another kind of human than most people I meet. I’m isolated because of my experiencing of the world. I feel pretty alone. I don’t know…not lonely but alone.

Do you like cheerful music? For example if there’s “Happy” playing on the radio?
No.

Is happiness overrated?
No, absolutely not. That’s my biggest dream. It’s wonderful to be happy. I’d really like to be happy! But if you have a huge family, if you’re working with lots of people…you wish for everybody that their wishes become true. At the same time it’s difficult enough to satisfy one’s own needs. So when the people around me are in trouble it’s impossible for me to be happy.

Your sympathy hinders your happiness?
I’m just really empathic. If you were unhappy right now I’d feel unhappy for you. Of course I have limits but altogether I’m a very emotional person. I want to help everybody. By the way you can help most people. The knowledge that this is possible – that you actually can help people – naturally makes life more complicate again.

So what makes you happy?
I think being happy is a quite difficult process. It’s a challenge I’ve been working on my entire life. But of course there are things that make me content. I love driving. I like water, I like the Pacific, that’s why I moved to California. I like to see people. I enjoy going to concerts, I love Rock’n’Roll. On that matter I’m really simple. Coffee. Cigarettes. I like the evening air. Huge gardens in Los Angeles.

Is there a time in which you would rather live?
The early seventies sound amazing I think. Freedom, free love. The hallucinogens. The idea of opening one’s consciousness, changing one’s neurology. I like Timothy Leary and the concept of being able to write a whole novel in one night on amphetamines. Travelling through America hitchhiking. I like the freedom this era embodies for me. I wasn’t there, I don’t know if it really was like that.

I kinda really like this interview or at least most of it. The part where she says she's feeling alone and that she thinks she experiences differently...I said almost the same thing to a friend when I had a mini meltdown a few days ago. :toofunny:  Also what she says about her imagination, that she's dreaming all the time - I kinda relate to her...

Anyway, I hope I didn't make too many mistakes.
And guys PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS A TRANSLATION OF A TRANSLATION!
Now let the the meltdowns about feminism etc begin

lana_takeitoff_notxb4uwe.gif

Oh, I don’t know. Those clichés: Men are like this, women are like that, I’m not really interested in them. After all I’m interested in the individual persons.

I really like this :creep:

she has said nothing in this interview to make any sane feminist out there mad imo.

this interview right here is actually a good example on how you should ask these types of questions. not "are you a feminist?" "no", then let's change the subject like that never happened. give her a little space to elaborate, especially with stuff that you know people get butt-hurt over so easily.

Thank You for translating, you really get to know her more with these interviews

Thank You for translating, you really get to know her more with these interviews

LOL.

Now that I read the whole thing I understand better what she means. 

I like the bit about being interested in women with masculine energy even though I could care less about gender limitations, gender roles, yadda yadda yadda...

Me, I relate to her lyrics for the romantic aspect of them, the tragic, the melancholy. She could be singing about loving her teddy bear, her dead cat or missing her best friend. Anyway, when it comes to Lana I can't explain things right...

I wonder if she would like me if she met me... or be disgusted...

:sadcore6:

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

@@yourdangerousgirl Can you link the original source in your OP?

Right, because all women are so unstable and irrational...  :eyeroll:  :bye2:

Doing the most

Oh, I don’t know. Those clichés: Men are like this, women are like that, I’m not really interested in them. After all I’m interested in the individual persons. But at the same time I have to admit that most of those people who really interested me were men. And even the fascinating women I’ve met have a rather masculine energy.